Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vanity Unit - bathroom

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Fitted bathroom furniture is both very expensive, and very crap
quality. After looking at some, I decided to make mine out of
IKEA kitchen units.

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/basin1.jpg

Those 4 units are actually wall cupboards, cut down to 20cm deep
to match the inset basin. I think all 4 units, doors, end panel,
and worktop (which is actually a white door from another range,
going for about £1 because someone damaged it) came in at about
£60, nearly an order of magnitude less than the equivalent
bathroom furniture.

Nice job cutting around the basin shape at the front, how did you do it?
Template?

It came with a large paper template. The timber actually goes
behind the front piece, so you can't see the timber edge.
There's supposed to be a bead of silicone to make it look
like the basin outer goes straight through the timber, but
I didn't put that in at the time thinking I might want to
remove that panel once or twice more whilst fitting other
bits, and I never got round to it.

Everything in that bathroom is pretty bog standard and thus
cheap. The basin was an exception -- I wanted a full size
bowl with minimum projection possible, and that's a special
short projection one. The tap is to the side so the basin
bowl goes right back to the wall. The other things I splashed
out on a little bit more than plain basic ones were the taps,
and a Kawaldi pressed steel bath. Also (not in view) there's
a very nice thermostatic shower mixer which I bought very
cheaply in a sale a few years beforehand, and it had been
sitting on a shelf since then waiting for me to get around
to redoing the bathroom. (When I did get round to it, I
found a bit of the shower was missing, but Gainsborough
were still perfectly happy to send it to me for free.)

--
Andrew Gabriel