Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Bathroom Waste pipe V vanity unit

I have stripped out the bathroom and other half wants a vanity unit for
the sink and toilet pan. With the layout I have to keep the toilet pan
on the right.
Is there likely to be an issue in trying to take the waste pipe to the
toilet pan, I have only ever had seperate sink / pan before.
I am concerned about space for the waste connection to the pan and if I
cut out an access for the easte pipe in the vanity unit will it
compromise the strength of the unit.
The visible waste pipe would then be boxed in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/05/2019 09:35, ss wrote:
I have stripped out the bathroom and other half wants a vanity unit for
the sink and toilet pan. With the layout I have to keep the toilet pan
on the right.
Is there likely to be an issue in trying to take the waste pipe to the
toilet pan, I have only ever had seperate sink / pan before.
I am concerned about space for the waste connection to the pan and if I
cut out an access for the easte pipe in the vanity unit will it
compromise the strength of the unit.
The visible waste pipe would then be boxed in.

Oooops the image:
https://imgur.com/WxuO20E
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2019 09:35, ss wrote:
On 11/05/2019 09:35, ss wrote:
I have stripped out the bathroom and other half wants a vanity unit
for the sink and toilet pan. With the layout I have to keep the toilet
pan on the right.
Is there likely to be an issue in trying to take the waste pipe to the
toilet pan, I have only ever had seperate sink / pan before.
I am concerned about space for the waste connection to the pan and if
I cut out an access for the easte pipe in the vanity unit will it
compromise the strength of the unit.
The visible waste pipe would then be boxed in.

Oooops the image:
https://imgur.com/WxuO20E

Looks fine to me. You could always glue a sheet of ply inside the vanity
unit where it is cut away.

Just check that a right angle connector will fit for the loo.Or yopu
might enmd up having to fill a gap between the vanity unit and te wall.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote in :

I have stripped out the bathroom and other half wants a vanity unit for
the sink and toilet pan. With the layout I have to keep the toilet pan
on the right.
Is there likely to be an issue in trying to take the waste pipe to the
toilet pan, I have only ever had seperate sink / pan before.
I am concerned about space for the waste connection to the pan and if I
cut out an access for the easte pipe in the vanity unit will it
compromise the strength of the unit.
The visible waste pipe would then be boxed in.

We are looking at a similar type of unit and I am concerned about the
centre distances - I will want the basin centred under the window and the
WC lined up the existing outlet.I don't like bodging the WC Outlet with
flexible pipes. Is there any fiddle space on the WC positioning?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/05/2019 17:18, DerbyBorn wrote:
We are looking at a similar type of unit and I am concerned about the
centre distances - I will want the basin centred under the window and the
WC lined up the existing outlet.I don't like bodging the WC Outlet with
flexible pipes. Is there any fiddle space on the WC positioning?

I dont know thats what I have been trying to find out.
The plumber should be back here next week as he is hoping if possible to
alter the stack pipe so I dont have to use risers on the shower tray. So
will speak to him before I order anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote in :

On 11/05/2019 17:18, DerbyBorn wrote:
We are looking at a similar type of unit and I am concerned about the
centre distances - I will want the basin centred under the window and
the WC lined up the existing outlet.I don't like bodging the WC
Outlet with flexible pipes. Is there any fiddle space on the WC
positioning?

I dont know thats what I have been trying to find out.
The plumber should be back here next week as he is hoping if possible
to alter the stack pipe so I dont have to use risers on the shower
tray. So will speak to him before I order anything.

I would like to do away with risers - but that would mean boring a hole
through a joist (that also carries cables)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/05/2019 10:15, DerbyBorn wrote:
I would like to do away with risers - but that would mean boring a hole
through a joist (that also carries cables)

Googled:
...."(Engineered floor joists can be drilled only according to their
manufacturer's guidelines.) ... The maximum allowable diameter of a hole
in any solid-lumber joist is one-third of the joist's depth. Notches
can't be deeper than one-sixth of the joist depth"......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 May 2019 09:35:25 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I have stripped out the bathroom and other half wants a vanity unit for
the sink and toilet pan. With the layout I have to keep the toilet pan
on the right.
Is there likely to be an issue in trying to take the waste pipe to the
toilet pan, I have only ever had seperate sink / pan before.
I am concerned about space for the waste connection to the pan and if I
cut out an access for the easte pipe in the vanity unit will it
compromise the strength of the unit.
The visible waste pipe would then be boxed in.

When I fitted a vanity unit sink, I used flexible waste pipe, with glued ends, and a HepVO trap. Meant it had minimal impact on cupboard space and I was able to route it round the back of the unit.

Would do the same again, given the choice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote in :

On 12/05/2019 10:15, DerbyBorn wrote:
I would like to do away with risers - but that would mean boring a hole
through a joist (that also carries cables)

Googled:
..."(Engineered floor joists can be drilled only according to their
manufacturer's guidelines.) ... The maximum allowable diameter of a hole
in any solid-lumber joist is one-third of the joist's depth. Notches
can't be deeper than one-sixth of the joist depth"......

Thanks - hoping to avoid this. It is a joist at the very edge of the upper
floor so most loads are taken by the next joist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 May 2019 06:38:38 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Saturday, 11 May 2019 09:35:25 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I have stripped out the bathroom and other half wants a vanity unit for
the sink and toilet pan. With the layout I have to keep the toilet pan
on the right.
Is there likely to be an issue in trying to take the waste pipe to the
toilet pan, I have only ever had seperate sink / pan before.
I am concerned about space for the waste connection to the pan and if I
cut out an access for the easte pipe in the vanity unit will it
compromise the strength of the unit.
The visible waste pipe would then be boxed in.

When I fitted a vanity unit sink, I used flexible waste pipe, with glued ends, and a HepVO trap. Meant it had minimal impact on cupboard space and I was able to route it round the back of the unit.

Would do the same again, given the choice.

This is very shallow, as it is just a tight elbow then into the trap - works
in the same way as a HepVo:
https://www.toolstation.com/viva-mag...e-valve/p82878
https://www.toolstation.com/viva-mag...e-valve/p16545

(32 mm and 40 mm. Also, less than half the price of the HepVo.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/05/2019 22:33, PeterC wrote:
When I fitted a vanity unit sink, I used flexible waste pipe, with glued ends, and a HepVO trap. Meant it had minimal impact on cupboard space and I was able to route it round the back of the unit.

Would do the same again, given the choice.

I am ok for using a flexi for the sink, just concerned about cutting in
to the unit to get access to the toilet waste in case it compromises the
strength of the unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 May 2019 22:33:47 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Not seen them before!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 May 2019 12:38:32 UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 12/05/2019 22:33, PeterC wrote:
When I fitted a vanity unit sink, I used flexible waste pipe, with glued ends, and a HepVO trap. Meant it had minimal impact on cupboard space and I was able to route it round the back of the unit.

Would do the same again, given the choice.

I am ok for using a flexi for the sink, just concerned about cutting in
to the unit to get access to the toilet waste in case it compromises the
strength of the unit.

The bog unit, I assume, has no floor. But is otherwise the same construction as the basin one? In which case, no issue. Except the probability of needing to have some sort of raised floor higher than the WC waste pipe.

It is so easy to add strength to units like this, if needed.

Where to find a bathroom vanity that fits where the old vanity was. Hswart37 Home Repair 5 October 3rd 16 03:09 PM
Bathroom - do unit doors need to match vanity unit? R D S[_2_] UK diy 2 September 2nd 12 07:55 AM
Vanity Unit - bathroom mo UK diy 11 November 27th 08 03:40 PM
Shaver Point in Vanity Unit? Sparks UK diy 0 April 24th 06 01:41 PM
bathroom vanity configuration Paul Woodworking 2 November 29th 03 03:30 AM