Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting Problem

Eldest daughter and Son-in-Law have a problem with painting some walls
and a ceiling, mainly the latter.

The room was previously painted- looked like ordinary emulsion.
Condition of walls wasn't great and there was some (non-original) coving
they removed, made good walls, cleaned down etc, and proceeded to paint.

They've used the type of paint before, while they are new to DIY, SIL
has taken to it rather well, the the finish he got on the first room was
darn good. However, this time, the paint has been nothing but trouble.
It has peeled in several places- no obvious reason, some where he'd made
good, some not. They removed the peeling paint, applied sealer*, tried
again, still it peels. Walls had been cleaned so no grease etc. It
wasn't the 'bubbling' you get when there is a solvent issue, this is
peeling. No real evidence the room has been occupied by a smoker etc.
We'd previous checked for damp with a meter- no issues.

I've run out of suggestions- other than contacting the paint
manufacturer (or of course covering it, which they don't want to do). It
isn't cheap paint, although I forget the make.

I've never had emulsion peel before, in fact I don't recall any real
issues applying it- although I don't pretend to be an expert at it, I
just follow the instructions and use reasonable quality paint- one of
the 'brands' or even B&Q etc, which has always been fine.

*the sealer was in case there was an issue with the previous layers of
paint etc. I thought it may work and a search on the internet confirmed
this. It hasn't made much difference, if any.

Has anyone any ideas, please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 10:49:43 UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

Emulsion & similar paints tend to peel if they have too much glue in them. Try a bit of unspecial emulsion, see if that works.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Long shot, is the room well ventilated while being painted, or maybe there
is one of those water evaporating coolers in the house?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/19 11:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Long shot, is the room well ventilated while being painted, or maybe there
is one of those water evaporating coolers in the house?
Brian

Pretty sure there isn't a 'cooler' but I will mention it. As for
ventilation, given the recent heat, I'd assume he was working with the
window open but I will check.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/19 11:12, wrote:
[...]

Ah, that is interesting.

I believe the paint is something they were recommended to use in the
other room which they had replastered and was something 'special' for
newly plastered walls. As it gave good results, they used it again.

I'll give him a call. Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/08/2019 11:19, Brian Reay wrote:
On 07/08/19 11:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Long shot, is the room well ventilated while being painted, or maybe
there
is one of those water evaporating coolers in the house?
Â* Brian

Pretty sure there isn't a 'cooler' but I will mention it. As for
ventilation, given the recent heat, I'd assume he was working with the
window open but I will check.

Probably not related but when I had to paint some interior walls in
Turkey (temp 30-40 C) I had to water dilute the paint, if not it dried
and started peeling. So possibly temperature is drying it too quickly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2019 11:22, Brian Reay wrote:

Ah, that is interesting.

I believe the paint is something they were recommended to use in the
other room which they had replastered and was something 'special' for
newly plastered walls. As it gave good results, they used it again.

I'll give him a call. Thank you.

I have also been looking into this in recent weeks. Special paint for
new plaster is usually watered down basic matt emulsion - not vinyl or
silk or bathroom/kitchen paint etc. The idea seems to be you want it
to sink into the plaster rather than sit on the top.

This YouTube video shows the effect of using the wrong sort of paint too
soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43St5HAali8

Having said that I don't think using paint for new plaster on old stable
surfaces should have any adverse effect.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2019 10:49, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

The only time I have had bother like that is on very old walls with some
parts being exposed nearly pure white lime mortar rather than plaster.
The emulsion paint refuses to bond to the highly alkaline lime. A litmus
or pH paper will show you if this is the case.

I've run out of suggestions- other than contacting the paint
manufacturer (or of course covering it, which they don't want to do). It
isn't cheap paint, although I forget the make.

I've never had emulsion peel before, in fact I don't recall any real
issues applying it- although I don't pretend to be an expert at it, I
just follow the instructions and use reasonable quality paint- one of
the 'brands' or even B&Q etc, which has always been fine.

*the sealer was in case there was an issue with the previous layers of
paint etc. I thought it may work and a search on the internet confirmed
this. It hasn't made much difference, if any.

Has anyone any ideas, please?

If it is an acrylic based sealer it will fail the same way. You may need
a thin skim of plaster across the whole wall to bury the offending lime.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2019 11:22, Brian Reay wrote:

I believe the paint is something they were recommended to use in the
other room which they had replastered and was something 'special' for
newly plastered walls. As it gave good results, they used it again.

I'll give him a call. Thank you.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...te-10ltr/51004

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2019 14:45, Martin Brown wrote:

If it is an acrylic based sealer it will fail the same way. You may need
a thin skim of plaster across the whole wall to bury the offending lime.

I put a well-watered-down coat of ordinary emulsion over our new lime
plaster, and I've had no trouble.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 07/08/2019 14:45, Martin Brown wrote:

If it is an acrylic based sealer it will fail the same way. You may need
a thin skim of plaster across the whole wall to bury the offending lime.

I put a well-watered-down coat of ordinary emulsion over our new lime
plaster, and I've had no trouble.

Andy

New...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2019 21:13, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 07/08/2019 14:45, Martin Brown wrote:

If it is an acrylic based sealer it will fail the same way. You may
need a thin skim of plaster across the whole wall to bury the
offending lime.

I put a well-watered-down coat of ordinary emulsion over our new lime
plaster, and I've had no trouble.

ISTR It starts to flake off in places after about two or three years.

But only in the places where the pH is particularly alkaline - sometimes
you can get away with it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 07:55, Jim K.. wrote:
Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 07/08/2019 14:45, Martin Brown wrote:

If it is an acrylic based sealer it will fail the same way. You may need
a thin skim of plaster across the whole wall to bury the offending lime.

I put a well-watered-down coat of ordinary emulsion over our new lime
plaster, and I've had no trouble.

Andy

New...

If the alkalinity is the problem why would old lime be worse than new?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 21:31, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/08/2019 07:55, Jim K.. wrote:
Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 07/08/2019 14:45, Martin Brown wrote:

If it is an acrylic based sealer it will fail the same way. You may
need
a thin skim of plaster across the whole wall to bury the offending
lime.

I put a well-watered-down coat of ordinary emulsion over our new lime
plaster, and I've had no trouble.

Andy

New...

If the alkalinity is the problem why would old lime be worse than new?

Probably because the original stuff wasn't really as well mixed as it
should have been and some bits are very alkaline. If you were only ever
going to use a lime wash on it then there isn't a problem.

Modern organic polymer paints don't get on with some of the very old
limewash type surface finishes that were used in the pre-1900's.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown