Old July 12th 19, 12:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MES bulb repair

Fredxx wrote:

You can buy MES LEDs with a flat top on eBay for a few ££s.

These look ok, graeme could probably glue some form of pivot on top of them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-SMD-MES-12V/153124021726

the four side facing LEDs might even give better flash rather than sweep
from the lighthouse ...

Old July 12th 19, 01:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Fredxx wrote:

You can buy MES LEDs with a flat top on eBay for a few s.

These look ok, graeme could probably glue some form of pivot on top of them

Perfect! Yes, Dennis said something similar, regarding a pivot. I have
a stock of M2.5 washers, which fit Hornby axles (!), so may do the job.
Never having used LED bulbs, I hadn't appreciated that the 'glass' is
actually plastic.
--
Graeme
Old July 12th 19, 01:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 12 July 2019 11:53:43 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 12/07/2019 08:34, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Not a "bulb" just an LED.

Then epoxy the modified LED with suitable current limiting resister into
a rescued MES base.

You can buy MES LEDs with a flat top on eBay for a few ££s.

There will be insufficient heat from an LED to run his "fan/turbine"
Old July 12th 19, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

There will be insufficient heat from an LED to run his "fan/turbine"

He doesn't want to drive the fan with heat, he has his pump for that.
Old July 12th 19, 02:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
harry wrote:

There will be insufficient heat from an LED to run his "fan/turbine"

He doesn't want to drive the fan with heat, he has his pump for that.

Indeed. I did wonder whether the original bulb blew because I was
pumping a jet of cold air up the side of a hot bulb. Probably not, but
at least a cold LED bulb will not worry about a jet of cold air.
--
Graeme

Old July 12th 19, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 22:16:16 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Fredxx
writes
On 11/07/2019 19:44, Graeme wrote:
I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb.

What's a 'dimple bulb'? Do you mean one with a lens? In which case an
LED bulb would be a good alternative.

Thanks all, for the suggestions. A dimple bulb has a dimple in the top
of the bulb. I should have explained - as said, common in the US, but
not here :-)

Why? Remember the aquarium pump thread a couple of weeks ago? This is
all about a Marx toy beacon tower which uses a dimple bulb on top of
which balances a lightweight beacon with red and green lenses. Vanes in
the top of the beacon, the idea being that the heat from the bulb rises
through the vanes, causing the beacon to rotate, balanced in the bulb
dimple. Great idea but it rarely works so a friend had the idea of
using an aquarium pump to direct a jet of air through the vanes. It
works perfectly, but just as I got mine going, the poxy bulb blew! I
suppose the bulb must be 60 years old, so shouldn't really complain.

This reminds me of my old elctric fire that has vanes balanced on
gramophone needles over red 'Fireglow' 60W bulbs under a coal-effect
top. When the vanes rotate it gives the effect of flames in the coals.

The trouble is, the vanes have glass cetres with a conical well that
balances on the points. This works fine initially, but eventually the
glass loses its shine owing to being worn by the needles, and the
vanes will not keep going even if I sharpen the needles.

Your dimpled bulb was probably worn down by the point on the rotating
vane, which is why it wouldn't work very well.

Your new LED arrangement will probably need a dimple made of glass
rather than rough plastic.
--
Dave W

Old July 12th 19, 09:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme expressed precisely :
Harry, the problem is that these devices have rarely if ever worked properly
since new. There just isn't enough heat to turn the beacon. It is sometimes
possible to get the beacon moving for a while with a quick nudge, but it
rarely spins for long. Another manufacturer (Lionel) had a similar product
which they withdrew and replaced with a motor powered beacon because the heat
version was unreliable.

Assuming the 'heat version' relied upon waste heat from the lamp, a
resistor could provide much more heat than a bulb.
Old July 12th 19, 10:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 21:54, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Graeme expressed precisely :
Harry, the problem is that these devices have rarely if ever worked
properly since new.* There just isn't enough heat to turn the beacon.
It is sometimes possible to get the beacon moving for a while with a
quick nudge, but it rarely spins for long.* Another manufacturer
(Lionel) had a similar product which they withdrew and replaced with a
motor powered beacon because the heat version was unreliable.

Assuming the 'heat version' relied upon waste heat from the lamp, a
resistor could provide much more heat than a bulb.

And fry the LED at the same time.

Old July 13th 19, 11:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Having had a look at the eBay item, it’s hard (at least for me) to understand how the bit with the green & red lenses and the bulb and the spinny vane thing would work together??

Light bulb - Light-bulb.jpg (0/1) Raveninghorde Electronic Schematics 35 July 24th 09 09:35 PM
Light bulb - Light-bulb.jpg (1/1) Raveninghorde Electronic Schematics 0 June 25th 09 11:40 AM
digital MEs Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 March 25th 09 11:52 AM
CADASTRO BIGBNUS + SITE EXPLICATIVO GRTIS - GANHE at R$35 MIL REAIS TODO MS!!! DenisBigbonusID06153 Metalworking 0 January 16th 08 02:58 AM
Bug Light Bulb---any bulb for outside use that are not yellow? Patty Amas Home Ownership 5 November 3rd 04 09:23 PM