Old July 11th 19, 07:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MES bulb repair

I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb. Very common in the US, but unheard
of here (unless you know better?), and postage is a killer.

I have a blown bulb, and can probably get the glass out of the base, but
can I cut the base of the glass? Thinking if I could cut the glass, I
could insert a grain of wheat bulb, which will do the job, but how to
cut the glass?
--
Graeme

Old July 11th 19, 07:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb.

Any good?

https://cpc.farnell.com/electrovision/f018g/12v-mes/dp/AR70338

You'd have to 20 to get free P&P
Old July 11th 19, 07:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2019 19:44, Graeme wrote:

I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb.

What's a 'dimple bulb'? Do you mean one with a lens? In which case an
LED bulb would be a good alternative.

Very common in the US, but unheard
of here (unless you know better?), and postage is a killer.

I have a blown bulb, and can probably get the glass out of the base, but
can I cut the base of the glass?Â* Thinking if I could cut the glass, I
could insert a grain of wheat bulb, which will do the job, but how to
cut the glass?

Standard MES bulb uses a ceramic cement to 'glue' the glass envelope
into the base.

Old July 11th 19, 08:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 July 2019 19:44:36 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb. Very common in the US, but unheard
of here (unless you know better?), and postage is a killer.

I'm not quite sure what a dimple bulb is, but would any here be suitable

https://www.mygreenlighting.co.uk/re..._mes/8922.html

They have a couple of 12 volt halogens in E10 / MES cap

Or CPC have MES bulbs

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electrical...e-type=e10-mes

including this one which is wrong voltage but might give you extras to cannibalise?

https://cpc.farnell.com/duracell/703...mes/dp/LA00711

Owain

Owain
Old July 11th 19, 08:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 July 2019 19:44:36 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb. Very common in the US, but unheard
of here (unless you know better?), and postage is a killer.

I have a blown bulb, and can probably get the glass out of the base, but
can I cut the base of the glass? Thinking if I could cut the glass, I
could insert a grain of wheat bulb, which will do the job, but how to
cut the glass?

Squeeze with pliers.

NT

Old July 11th 19, 10:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxx
writes
On 11/07/2019 19:44, Graeme wrote:
I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb.

What's a 'dimple bulb'? Do you mean one with a lens? In which case an
LED bulb would be a good alternative.

Thanks all, for the suggestions. A dimple bulb has a dimple in the top
of the bulb. I should have explained - as said, common in the US, but
not here :-)

Why? Remember the aquarium pump thread a couple of weeks ago? This is
all about a Marx toy beacon tower which uses a dimple bulb on top of
which balances a lightweight beacon with red and green lenses. Vanes in
the top of the beacon, the idea being that the heat from the bulb rises
through the vanes, causing the beacon to rotate, balanced in the bulb
dimple. Great idea but it rarely works so a friend had the idea of
using an aquarium pump to direct a jet of air through the vanes. It
works perfectly, but just as I got mine going, the poxy bulb blew! I
suppose the bulb must be 60 years old, so shouldn't really complain.

--
Graeme
Old July 11th 19, 10:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

I suppose the bulb must be 60 years old, so shouldn't really complain.

A strawhat LED with suitable resistor to run on 12V, and drill your own
dimple in the top?

Old July 12th 19, 12:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2019 22:16, Graeme wrote:
In message , Fredxx writes
On 11/07/2019 19:44, Graeme wrote:
Â*I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb.

What's a 'dimple bulb'? Do you mean one with a lens? In which case an
LED bulb would be a good alternative.

Thanks all, for the suggestions.Â* A dimple bulb has a dimple in the top
of the bulb.Â* I should have explained - as said, common in the US, but
not here :-)

I've tried google images and got nowhere. This is where a link to a
picture might help.
Old July 12th 19, 07:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxx
writes

I've tried google images and got nowhere. This is where a link to a
picture might help.

You're right, of course. eBay US item 223553936563

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lionel-39...-WITH-DIMPLE-B
ULB-NEW/223553936563?epid=1739264075&hash=item340cda5cb3:g :kXIAAOSw5cNYeo
Ob

Intrigued by Andy's suggestion of drilling an LED bulb. Should I infer
that such a bulb (never used one) is plastic, rather than glass?

--
Graeme
Old July 12th 19, 08:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2019 19:44, Graeme wrote:

I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb.Â* Very common in the US, but unheard
of here (unless you know better?), and postage is a killer.

I have a blown bulb, and can probably get the glass out of the base, but
can I cut the base of the glass?Â* Thinking if I could cut the glass, I
could insert a grain of wheat bulb, which will do the job, but how to
cut the glass?

Dremel?

Light bulb - Light-bulb.jpg (0/1) Raveninghorde Electronic Schematics 35 July 24th 09 09:35 PM
Light bulb - Light-bulb.jpg (1/1) Raveninghorde Electronic Schematics 0 June 25th 09 11:40 AM
digital MEs Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 March 25th 09 11:52 AM
CADASTRO BIGBÔNUS + SITE EXPLICATIVO GRÁTIS - GANHE até R$35 MIL REAIS TODO MÊS!!! DenisBigbonusID06153 Metalworking 0 January 16th 08 02:58 AM
Bug Light Bulb---any bulb for outside use that are not yellow? Patty Amas Home Ownership 5 November 3rd 04 09:23 PM