Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme[_7_] Graeme[_7_] is offline

Default MES bulb repair

In message , Fredxx
writes
On 11/07/2019 19:44, Graeme wrote:
I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb.

What's a 'dimple bulb'? Do you mean one with a lens? In which case an
LED bulb would be a good alternative.

Thanks all, for the suggestions. A dimple bulb has a dimple in the top
of the bulb. I should have explained - as said, common in the US, but
not here :-)

Why? Remember the aquarium pump thread a couple of weeks ago? This is
all about a Marx toy beacon tower which uses a dimple bulb on top of
which balances a lightweight beacon with red and green lenses. Vanes in
the top of the beacon, the idea being that the heat from the bulb rises
through the vanes, causing the beacon to rotate, balanced in the bulb
dimple. Great idea but it rarely works so a friend had the idea of
using an aquarium pump to direct a jet of air through the vanes. It
works perfectly, but just as I got mine going, the poxy bulb blew! I
suppose the bulb must be 60 years old, so shouldn't really complain.

--
Graeme