Old July 11th 19, 02:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quick question - screwdriver bit width for electrical fittingscrews.

Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

I seem to be awash with Posidrive bits at the moment but not ones for
slotted screws.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old July 11th 19, 03:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2019 14:52, David wrote:
Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

I seem to be awash with Posidrive bits at the moment but not ones for
slotted screws.

Grind a pozidrive bit down to a flat bit of your desired size.
Old July 11th 19, 05:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2019 14:52, David wrote:
Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

I seem to be awash with Posidrive bits at the moment but not ones for
slotted screws.

I bought a set of flat bladed bits off Ebay ranging from may be 3mm to
8mm for a few pounds, with long round sections after the hex part.

Quality seems OK.

(I also found some other bits with extended shanks- torx, hex, Pozi, ....)

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Old July 11th 19, 07:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/07/2019 14:52, David wrote:
Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

I seem to be awash with Posidrive bits at the moment but not ones for
slotted screws.

Cheers

I would never use an electric screwdriver on such screws (machine bolts
IMHO).

--
Adam
Old July 11th 19, 07:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 11/07/2019 14:52, David wrote:
Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

I seem to be awash with Posidrive bits at the moment but not ones for
slotted screws.

Cheers

I would never use an electric screwdriver on such screws (machine bolts
IMHO).

'Machine screws' is surely the right term for them isn't it?

Regarding the right sized screwdriver I find that a 4mm wide flat
blade screwdriver works well for most electrical work. Occasionally
one needs one smaller or larger but 4mm seems good generally. Having
said that 4mm is quite an unusual size, it doesn't tend to come with
sets of screwdrivers.

--
Chris Green
·

Old July 11th 19, 08:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 July 2019 14:52:46 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

I seem to be awash with Posidrive bits at the moment but not ones for
slotted screws.

Cheers

Dave R

Neither, too big. And as almost said, power driving slotted screws just doesn't work very well. The smaller the bit the more stable it is, so try 4 or 5mm.

NT
Old July 11th 19, 09:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/07/2019 19:55, Chris Green wrote:
ARW wrote:
[...]

Screwfix call them electrical screws.

--
Adam
Old July 11th 19, 09:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2019 14:52, David wrote:
Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

Since may will sit in a small recess, you need a driver that is slightly
under the full width - otherwise you will catch on the edges of the recess.

--
Cheers,

John.