Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quick question - screwdriver bit width for electrical fitting screws.

On Thursday, 11 July 2019 21:55:34 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/07/2019 14:52, David wrote:
Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

Since may will sit in a small recess, you need a driver that is slightly
under the full width - otherwise you will catch on the edges of the recess.

M3.5 screws in electrical accessories are never tightened to anywhere near their load limit, they'd break plastic if they were. There is thus no need for a large bit. Large slotted bits are much more unstable than smaller ones.

NT