Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Quick question - screwdriver bit width for electrical fitting screws.

ARW wrote:
On 11/07/2019 14:52, David wrote:
Having replaced my dud little electrical screwdriver with the cheapo
MacAlister one from Screwfix I am now searching for the best bit size for
slotted screws which are in light switch and 13A sockets.

Measuring the width they look to be about 7mm.

So do I co for a 7mm bit, or slightly under size with a 6mm bit?

I seem to be awash with Posidrive bits at the moment but not ones for
slotted screws.

Cheers

I would never use an electric screwdriver on such screws (machine bolts
IMHO).

'Machine screws' is surely the right term for them isn't it?

Regarding the right sized screwdriver I find that a 4mm wide flat
blade screwdriver works well for most electrical work. Occasionally
one needs one smaller or larger but 4mm seems good generally. Having
said that 4mm is quite an unusual size, it doesn't tend to come with
sets of screwdrivers.

--
Chris Green
ยท