Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water softener and green seepage

Since having a water softener installed, some of the
Yorkshire fittings***** have a green powdery leakage.

Clearly, the nuts on the fittings need to be nipped up
again, but is the greenness indicative of a high rate of
corrosion in the system due to the salt, or is it just
a reaction to the air once it had seeped?

***** had previously fitted new taps myself; obviously
a plumber would have done it with all soldered connections
if only to make things difficult for amateur plumbers
in the future?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 12:19:01 +0100, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs
Computer wrote:

Clearly, the nuts on the fittings need to be nipped up
again, but is the greenness indicative of a high rate of
corrosion in the system due to the salt, or is it just
a reaction to the air once it had seeped?

Water softeners do not introduce salt (NaCl) into the water pipework.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

Clearly, the nuts on the fittings need to be nipped up
again, but is the greenness indicative of a high rate of
corrosion in the system due to the salt, or is it just
a reaction to the air once it had seeped?

Water softeners do not introduce salt (NaCl) into the water pipework.

Oh yes they do!!

Or at least my last one did. They should rinse out any free salt, but
if the timing is out or the device isn't plumbed in correctly salt can
enter the users system.

I seem to recollect that there are variations of the reagant available
if dialasys patients or people on low salt diets are end users of the
water.

I like the term "crumpable olive" incidentally. One of those little
gems that does sound so much more adequate than a mere "compressable"
conveys.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

Clearly, the nuts on the fittings need to be nipped up
again, but is the greenness indicative of a high rate of
corrosion in the system due to the salt, or is it just
a reaction to the air once it had seeped?

Water softeners do not introduce salt (NaCl) into the water pipework.

No, but what they do do over time is descale the pipes Allowing micro leaks

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 12:42:59 +0100, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs
Computer wrote:

On 07/07/2019 12:34, Graham. wrote:
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer hea
Wrote in message:
Since having a water softener installed, some of the Yorkshire
fittings***** have a green powdery leakage.

Clearly, the nuts on the fittings need to be nipped up again, but is
the greenness indicative of a high rate of corrosion in the system due
to the salt, or is it just a reaction to the air once it had seeped?

***** had previously fitted new taps myself; obviously a plumber would
have done it with all soldered connections if only to make things
difficult for amateur plumbers in the future?

Maybe I've misunderstood, Yorkshire fittings are soldered.

Anyway, plumbers seem to use plastic whenever they can.

Perhaps I misunderstood, it being some years since doing any plumbing
myself, but I thought the Yorkshire fittings were the ones I used, those
with a crumpable olive and a big nut to compress it?

No, those are compression fittings.

AFAIK Yorkshire fittings are the ones with a ring of solder built in for
people who can't end feed solder into the joint.
{Holds hand up}
Real plumbers just use the plain fittings because they are slightly
cheaper.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 05:06:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

Darn ...and you HAD to **** also in this innocent little thread, eh, senile
Rodent?

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
Since having a water softener installed, some of the
Yorkshire fittings***** have a green powdery leakage.

Clearly, the nuts on the fittings need to be nipped up
again, but is the greenness indicative of a high rate of
corrosion in the system due to the salt, or is it just
a reaction to the air once it had seeped?

***** had previously fitted new taps myself; obviously
a plumber would have done it with all soldered connections
if only to make things difficult for amateur plumbers
in the future?

Maybe I've misunderstood,Â* Yorkshire fittings are soldered.

Anyway, plumbers seem to use plastic whenever they can.

Perhaps I misunderstood, it being some years since doing
any plumbing myself, but I thought the Yorkshire fittings
were the ones I used, those with a crumpable olive and a
big nut to compress it?

Those are compression fittings:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Compression_fitting

Yorkshire fittings are a specific type of "capillary" solder fitting
where there is a ring of solid solder built into the fitting during
manufacture. So you can simply clean and flux the pipe, then just heat
the fitting without the need to add solder manually.

They look like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/yorkshire...-10-pack/24368

Similar to end feed:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-...-20-pack/81276

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

"Yorkshire" is a trade name.
They made compression fittings and solder ones. With and without solder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

They make all types.
https://www.google.com/search?q=york...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

Indeed, its a brand... however If someone refers to a "yorkshire
fitting" without further qualification, its a fairly safe bet they mean
their famed solder ring fitting.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

They do, but generally people refer to solder ring fittings (from any
manufacturer as "Yorkshire") and other fittings (even under the trade
name "Yorkshire") as capilliary, compression, push-fit, etc.

SteveW

GREEN.... MORE GREEN..... ALL GREEN ! [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 17th 15 08:11 PM
Water seepage [email protected] UK diy 1 October 4th 07 07:03 AM
Water seepage from bathroom into kitchen MQ Home Repair 2 August 21st 06 02:16 PM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 08:23 PM
Water seepage thru chimney Dan Home Repair 8 March 17th 05 09:59 PM