Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Water softener and green seepage

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 12:42:59 +0100, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs
Computer wrote:

On 07/07/2019 12:34, Graham. wrote:
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer hea
Wrote in message:
Since having a water softener installed, some of the Yorkshire
fittings***** have a green powdery leakage.

Clearly, the nuts on the fittings need to be nipped up again, but is
the greenness indicative of a high rate of corrosion in the system due
to the salt, or is it just a reaction to the air once it had seeped?

***** had previously fitted new taps myself; obviously a plumber would
have done it with all soldered connections if only to make things
difficult for amateur plumbers in the future?

Maybe I've misunderstood, Yorkshire fittings are soldered.

Anyway, plumbers seem to use plastic whenever they can.

Perhaps I misunderstood, it being some years since doing any plumbing
myself, but I thought the Yorkshire fittings were the ones I used, those
with a crumpable olive and a big nut to compress it?

No, those are compression fittings.

AFAIK Yorkshire fittings are the ones with a ring of solder built in for
people who can't end feed solder into the joint.
{Holds hand up}
Real plumbers just use the plain fittings because they are slightly
cheaper.

Cheers

Dave R

---