Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freeing jammed tap cartridges

Product recommendation, no affiliation etc...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6P77LS/

I have a perpetual problem with ceramic cartridges dripping. We're
slightly hard water but not mentally so...

In the last 2 cases I got a free set of cartridges from the respective
manufacturers for free under warranty.

Kitchen set was trivial, but 3/4" units in the bathroom are locked
solid. That device cracked them open with relative ease and without
spinning the tap on the pipe.

Simple idea, quite well implemented. Saved me taking the taps off and
sticking them in a vice taking 4x as long.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 22/06/2019, Tim Watts supposed :
Product recommendation, no affiliation etc...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6P77LS/

I have a perpetual problem with ceramic cartridges dripping. We're slightly
hard water but not mentally so...

I just fit a spanner, then use a piece of timber as a lever between
spout and spanner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote in
:

on 22/06/2019, Tim Watts supposed :
Product recommendation, no affiliation etc...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6P77LS/

I have a perpetual problem with ceramic cartridges dripping. We're
slightly hard water but not mentally so...

I just fit a spanner, then use a piece of timber as a lever between
spout and spanner.

+1

And lubricate the threads when reassembling then you won't have the problem
again. People are a bit heavy handed with plumbing in my view. Many taps
have an O Ring that does not need crushing to death.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2019 08:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 22/06/2019, Tim Watts supposed :
Product recommendation, no affiliation etc...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6P77LS/

I have a perpetual problem with ceramic cartridges dripping. We're
slightly hard water but not mentally so...

I just fit a spanner, then use a piece of timber as a lever between
spout and spanner.

Good idea...

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2019 12:30, DerbyBorn wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote in
:

on 22/06/2019, Tim Watts supposed :
Product recommendation, no affiliation etc...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6P77LS/

I have a perpetual problem with ceramic cartridges dripping. We're
slightly hard water but not mentally so...

I just fit a spanner, then use a piece of timber as a lever between
spout and spanner.

+1

And lubricate the threads when reassembling then you won't have the problem
again. People are a bit heavy handed with plumbing in my view. Many taps
have an O Ring that does not need crushing to death.

Indeed.

I do mine up by hand and finish by squeezing the spanner and spout
between thumb and fingers (avoiding the tendency to turn the whole tap).

You only need them tight enough plus a bit, to stop them coming loose
due to natural operation of the handle.

Which, curiously enough, is a lot less force with the new cartridges.
The original taps were mostly quite stiff - new units are silky smooth,
one finger operation as they should be.

I wonder if they had a bad batch of cartridges?

--
Email does not work

Ceramic tap cartridges Tim Watts[_3_] UK diy 4 December 11th 16 11:22 AM
Jammed bath tap Bernard Peek UK diy 11 May 27th 10 05:54 PM
Freeing stubborn tap head gear Mark[_24_] UK diy 10 April 22nd 09 08:12 AM
Freeing up universal joint Robin Metalworking 10 November 24th 05 01:15 AM
freeing a stuck chuck (conventional, hammer drill) RichardS UK diy 2 December 13th 04 02:17 PM