Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freeing stubborn tap head gear

Hi,

I've got a really stubborn tap head gear that won't shift. I've tried
penetrating oil and applying heat to the tap but it won't move. I
can't get a ring spanner on it and I will be rounding off the nut or
breaking the whole tap if I keep trying with an open ended spanner.
It's an expensive and fancy mixer tap so I don't want to wreck it.

Any "magic" solutions, please?

TIA, Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a really stubborn tap head gear that won't shift. I've tried
penetrating oil and applying heat to the tap but it won't move. I
can't get a ring spanner on it and I will be rounding off the nut or
breaking the whole tap if I keep trying with an open ended spanner.
It's an expensive and fancy mixer tap so I don't want to wreck it.

Any "magic" solutions, please?

TIA, Mark.

Send a photo - or website link to a similar tap then someone will recognise
the problem. There are many different types.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I've got a really stubborn tap head gear that won't shift. I've tried
penetrating oil and applying heat to the tap but it won't move. I
can't get a ring spanner on it and I will be rounding off the nut or
breaking the whole tap if I keep trying with an open ended spanner.
It's an expensive and fancy mixer tap so I don't want to wreck it.

Any "magic" solutions, please?

Come across that a few times. I happen to have one of those 'locking'
adjustable wrenches
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

Which means you can clamp the wrench onto the hexagons & it won't slip &
round them off.

Percussive maintenance often helps. Get an adjustable on there as tight as
possible & tap it around. Lots of short sharp taps work better than big
whacks. Failing that, stiltson wrench. The harder you turn the more they
grip, but they will make a mess of the brasswork - will it be seen
afterwards?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:30:04 +0100, "John"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I've got a really stubborn tap head gear that won't shift. I've tried
penetrating oil and applying heat to the tap but it won't move. I
can't get a ring spanner on it and I will be rounding off the nut or
breaking the whole tap if I keep trying with an open ended spanner.
It's an expensive and fancy mixer tap so I don't want to wreck it.

Any "magic" solutions, please?

TIA, Mark.

Send a photo - or website link to a similar tap then someone will recognise
the problem. There are many different types.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5260/taps1.jpg or
http://yfrog.com/61taps1j

and

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/7718/taps2.jpg or
http://yfrog.com/02taps2j

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:42:54 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I've got a really stubborn tap head gear that won't shift. I've tried
penetrating oil and applying heat to the tap but it won't move. I
can't get a ring spanner on it and I will be rounding off the nut or
breaking the whole tap if I keep trying with an open ended spanner.
It's an expensive and fancy mixer tap so I don't want to wreck it.

Any "magic" solutions, please?

Come across that a few times. I happen to have one of those 'locking'
adjustable wrenches
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

Which means you can clamp the wrench onto the hexagons & it won't slip &
round them off.

They look useful.

Percussive maintenance often helps. Get an adjustable on there as tight as
possible & tap it around. Lots of short sharp taps work better than big
whacks. Failing that, stiltson wrench. The harder you turn the more they
grip, but they will make a mess of the brasswork - will it be seen
afterwards?

They won't be seen but I am concerned about wrecking the nut
completely. My adjustable spanner will not lock and will just fall
off the nut.

I guess it's the mole wrench next!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:05:56 +0100, Mark wrote:

Any "magic" solutions, please?

Only magic in the sense of sufficiently advanced technology: a *good*
adjustable - Bahco rather than Blackspur.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:30:04 +0100, "John"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I've got a really stubborn tap head gear that won't shift. I've tried
penetrating oil and applying heat to the tap but it won't move. I
can't get a ring spanner on it and I will be rounding off the nut or
breaking the whole tap if I keep trying with an open ended spanner.
It's an expensive and fancy mixer tap so I don't want to wreck it.

Any "magic" solutions, please?

TIA, Mark.

Send a photo - or website link to a similar tap then someone will

recognise
the problem. There are many different types.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5260/taps1.jpg or
http://yfrog.com/61taps1j

and

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/7718/taps2.jpg or
http://yfrog.com/02taps2j

My money would be on being able to separate the silver coloured extension
piece from the brass that is screwed into the tap.

If you cannot pull it off then get something to go under the extension
(small
jawed spanner or adjustable etc) and give it a sharp upwards whack
(with a heavier spanner or adjustable etc). I reckon the extension will come
off with a clout or two so be ready to catch it.

You would now be able to get a ring spanner or socket on the valve.

You should then find that the brass bit is a normal tap valve. If you should
need to replace that part (if it is not rewaserable) than take that and the
extension piece together to the plumbers merchants so that the splines on
the valve can be matched to the extension.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:56:26 +0100, Mark wrote:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5260/taps1.jpg

Ah that sort of mixer. That side isn't the left hand thread side is it?

Do the two taps turn on in the same or opposite directions? They are
opposite if, for example, the top of the tap moves away from you for on,
on both taps. The off direction of rotation (should) tighten the tap body.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:29:51 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:56:26 +0100, Mark wrote:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5260/taps1.jpg

Ah that sort of mixer. That side isn't the left hand thread side is it?

Do the two taps turn on in the same or opposite directions? They are
opposite if, for example, the top of the tap moves away from you for on,
on both taps. The off direction of rotation (should) tighten the tap body.

They do turn in opposite directions but this side should have the
right hand thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:16:56 +0100, Mark wrote:

They do turn in opposite directions but this side should have the
right hand thread.

Operative word that "should" have you tried for LH thread?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

I've got a really stubborn tap head gear that won't shift. I've tried
penetrating oil and applying heat to the tap but it won't move. I
can't get a ring spanner on it and I will be rounding off the nut or
breaking the whole tap if I keep trying with an open ended spanner.
It's an expensive and fancy mixer tap so I don't want to wreck it.

Any "magic" solutions, please?

Thanks for all the replies. I have realized now that I don't need to
shift the tap gear to fix the problem.