Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freeing stubborn tap head gear

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I've got a really stubborn tap head gear that won't shift. I've tried
penetrating oil and applying heat to the tap but it won't move. I
can't get a ring spanner on it and I will be rounding off the nut or
breaking the whole tap if I keep trying with an open ended spanner.
It's an expensive and fancy mixer tap so I don't want to wreck it.

Any "magic" solutions, please?

Come across that a few times. I happen to have one of those 'locking'
adjustable wrenches
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

Which means you can clamp the wrench onto the hexagons & it won't slip &
round them off.

Percussive maintenance often helps. Get an adjustable on there as tight as
possible & tap it around. Lots of short sharp taps work better than big
whacks. Failing that, stiltson wrench. The harder you turn the more they
grip, but they will make a mess of the brasswork - will it be seen
afterwards?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk