Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rust eater strength

Hi all

In a previous post about getting rid of rust, some of you suggested phosphoric acid. Finally getting around to sorting out my BBQ and looking on eBay seems like there is a wide variety of strengths available from 30% to 85%. Anyone know what impact the strength has? Eg does it work quicker / impregnate deeper / etch the metal etc. Trying to work out what strength to get.

Also are there any advantages in getting a branded rust eater instead?

Thanks

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 June 2019 09:16:23 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

In a previous post about getting rid of rust, some of you suggested phosphoric acid. Finally getting around to sorting out my BBQ and looking on eBay seems like there is a wide variety of strengths available from 30% to 85%.. Anyone know what impact the strength has? Eg does it work quicker / impregnate deeper / etch the metal etc. Trying to work out what strength to get..

Also are there any advantages in getting a branded rust eater instead?

Thanks

Lee

yes, if you like to pay more. Not otherwise afaik.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 June 2019 09:16:23 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

In a previous post about getting rid of rust, some of you suggested phosphoric acid. Finally getting around to sorting out my BBQ and looking on eBay seems like there is a wide variety of strengths available from 30% to 85%.. Anyone know what impact the strength has? Eg does it work quicker / impregnate deeper / etch the metal etc. Trying to work out what strength to get..

Also are there any advantages in getting a branded rust eater instead?

Thanks

Lee

and your first question... youtube shows an assortment of rust eating chems, many of which are far cheaper than phosphoric acid.

slivki show did a vid comparing several.
soda didnt work
ketchup worked, all off
coke: just a little removed
toilet cleaner: just a little removed
lemon juice: 75% removed
vinegar: 100% removed. best, quickest, cheap

Someone else claims to have removed rust with potatoes!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 01:16:21 -0700 (PDT)
Lee Nowell wrote:

Hi all

In a previous post about getting rid of rust, some of you suggested
phosphoric acid. Finally getting around to sorting out my BBQ and
looking on eBay seems like there is a wide variety of strengths
available from 30% to 85%. Anyone know what impact the strength has?
Eg does it work quicker / impregnate deeper / etch the metal etc.
Trying to work out what strength to get.

Also are there any advantages in getting a branded rust eater
instead?

I've used acid-based rust remover (phosphoric and hydrochloric) with
variable results in various applications. Then after seeing many
recommendations online I bought some EvapoRust; bloody marvellous stuff
- no risk of dissolving what you're trying to clean, no worry about
splashing acid where you don't want it, no attached residue of converted
rust, just a black powdery precipitate that rinses away to reveal shiny
steel.
For a BBQ I'd probably just attack it with a wire brush on a grinder,
then apply a coat of oil every so often to keep the rust away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks very much both. I used vinegar on some screwdriver bits I left out in the rain. A good soak for a few days and it did the trick. With. BBQ soaking will be a bit more tricky but. Look at the YouTube video and also the magic stuff you recommend.

Thanks

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2019 09:16, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

In a previous post about getting rid of rust, some of you suggested phosphoric acid. Finally getting around to sorting out my BBQ and looking on eBay seems like there is a wide variety of strengths available from 30% to 85%. Anyone know what impact the strength has? Eg does it work quicker / impregnate deeper / etch the metal etc. Trying to work out what strength to get.

Also are there any advantages in getting a branded rust eater instead?

Thanks

Lee

I use the stronger 85% strength.