Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building a wall

In message , at 16:27:00 on Fri, 21
Jun 2019, charles remarked:

So how will the bricky 'rub' the joints if it is bang up against
a fence panel (presumably not yours) ?.

It's not going to be literally touching, perhaps a three inch gap.

Round here the planners want half a metre these days.

Any particular reason given? It's not as if there's any of my
neighbour's *house* anywhere close (which could perhaps be a noise/fire
issue).

I know someone who built something similar last year, in a local
conservation area, and it was almost as close - and that time the
neighbours house was only three inches the other side of a similar
boundary fence.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2019 16:41, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:27:00 on Fri, 21
Jun 2019, charles remarked:

So how will the bricky 'rub' the joints if it is bang up against
a fence panel (presumably not yours) ?.

It's not going to be literally touching, perhaps a three inch gap.

Round here the planners want half a metre these days.

Any particular reason given? It's not as if there's any of my
neighbour's *house* anywhere close (which could perhaps be a noise/fire
issue).

I know someone who built something similar last year, in a local
conservation area, and it was almost as close - and that time the
neighbours house was only three inches the other side of a similar
boundary fence.

There is something called the 'terracing effect' where rows
of 1930's semis all have side extensions and end up looking
like a row of terraced houses. The planners don't like this.

More of a problem with 2-story extensions though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 15:21:40 on Sat, 22 Jun
2019, Andrew remarked:

So how will the bricky 'rub' the joints if it is bang up against
a fence panel (presumably not yours) ?.

It's not going to be literally touching, perhaps a three inch gap.

Round here the planners want half a metre these days.

Any particular reason given? It's not as if there's any of my
neighbour's *house* anywhere close (which could perhaps be a
noise/fire issue).
I know someone who built something similar last year, in a local
conservation area, and it was almost as close - and that time the
neighbours house was only three inches the other side of a similar
boundary fence.

There is something called the 'terracing effect' where rows
of 1930's semis all have side extensions and end up looking
like a row of terraced houses. The planners don't like this.

I'm aware of that. Indeed a house opposite the one I was living in about
fifteen years ago was refused PP for a two storey front-extension
(replacing the garage at the side) for that very reason. Not that a row
of randomly designed five bedroom 1930's detached houses could ever look
like anything I'd call a 'terrace'. It didn't help that the next-door
detached house was built right up against the plot-line, though.

However, the build I'm investigating today is at the rear, and most of
the street is already comprised of houses built so close together at the
front that they might as well be a terrace.

I had a house about 30yrs ago (which was perhaps 250yrs old on the
village main street) that I never could stick in a box. The best I could
say was that it was a detached house built touching the next-door
detached houses. There were no party walls, we all had our own. And the
line of guttering at the front wasn't even the same height.
--
Roland Perry