Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

Default EV Charging in the UK (non-speculative version)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 22:32:39 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 07:29:21 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 12:35:54 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 17/06/2019 18:04, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/06/2019 15:20, TTman wrote:
On 17/06/2019 10:36, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/06/2019 03:05,
wrote:
On 16 Jun 2019 09:41:26 -0700, Winfield Hill
wrote:

John Rumm wrote...

Street charging is a more difficult problem to solve...

I can charge on the street, if I can park within two
car spots of my driveway.* Apartment dwellers in a
crowded city have a problem.* Several are like that
here at work, but they can charge up in our garage.

You're allowed to put a power cord across the public right-of-way
(sidewalk, boulevard, etc.)?

No, can't see that being looked upon favourably. There are a few
kerbside charging points on the street though.

Here is a relatively new example:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...dded-into-kerb

That looks like it's dead in the water.... How long before it gets
trashed by vandals/water/dirt etc?.Madness and a trip hazard to all
those who walk with a mobile welded to their ear... LOL

Yup it does seem like an odd design, not sure what it is supposed to
achieve over the more traditional street side charging points.

A cull of people who don't watch where they put their feet with every
step. What sort of clueless halfwit installs trip hazards on a kerb?

The small pole thing looks more plausible although they will get very
interesting when SUVs and delivery vans mount the kerb and smash them.
You only have to look at the state of roadside bollards and smashed up
paving slabs to see how it will end.

I wonder how well they will work after being crushed?

Just install giant induction loops under every street.

Just put solar cells on the cars. Then you can have lights that come
out at night.

Or big lasers on lamp posts to beam power down onto cars.

Or back wheels that are larger than the front wheels.

Or - best idea so far - store electric power in liquid form so a car
can stash a lot in a lightweight tank instead of heavy batteries.

Protons would work. We just need a way to stick them together.

Someone needs to invent the electron.

There is rumored to be some lightweight atom in the periodic table
that FOUR hydrogen atoms will stick to.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics