Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best value car sound deadening

Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of bitumen flashing being used by some, whats current best practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of bitumen flashing being used by some, whats current best practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

I want to deaden the sound of the boy racers who come roaring up the
hill at two o'clock in the morning. In summer with the bedroom windows
open it's not funny.

I'd be willing to try bitumen but I suspect a shotgun would be more
effective.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of bitumen flashing being used by some, whats current best practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

Best value is probably what I used back in the 1960s - sound deadening
felt, bitumen faced for the engine bay, uncoated elsewhere. Whether it
is the most effective now available is a different question that I can't
answer.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for cars?
Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of bitumen
flashing being used by some, whats current best practice/best
value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

Best value is probably what I used back in the 1960s - sound deadening
felt, bitumen faced for the engine bay, uncoated elsewhere. Whether it
is the most effective now available is a different question that I
can't answer.

From experience with felt in a camper van many years ago, the problem is
that felt holds condensation.

Ours rusted out from the inside.

Maybe a VW would be better.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2019 09:51, Nick Odell wrote:
On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for cars?
Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of bitumen
flashing being used by some, whats current best practice/best value?
I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

I want to deaden the sound of the boy racers who come roaring up the
hill at two o'clock in the morning. In summer with the bedroom windows
open it's not funny.

I'd be willing to try bitumen but I suspect a shotgun would be more
effective.

Nick

Caltrops

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2019 11:42, Bill wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for cars?
Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of bitumen
flashing being used by some, whats current best practice/best value?
I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

Best value is probably what I used back in the 1960s - sound deadening
felt, bitumen faced for the engine bay, uncoated elsewhere. Whether it
is the most effective now available is a different question that I
can't answer.

From experience with felt in a camper van many years ago, the problem
is that felt holds condensation.

Ours rusted out from the inside.

Maybe a VW would be better.

I didn't notice that in my car, but it had a chassis, so bodywork rust
was less of an issue and quite a bit of it was glass fibre replacement
panels anyway. Perhaps a high density closed cell foam would be a better
choice.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 10/06/2019 11:42, Bill wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for
cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of
bitumen flashing being used by some, whats current best
practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

Best value is probably what I used back in the 1960s - sound
deadening felt, bitumen faced for the engine bay, uncoated
elsewhere. Whether it is the most effective now available is a
different question that I can't answer.

From experience with felt in a camper van many years ago, the
problem is that felt holds condensation.
Ours rusted out from the inside.
Maybe a VW would be better.

I didn't notice that in my car, but it had a chassis, so bodywork rust
was less of an issue and quite a bit of it was glass fibre replacement
panels anyway. Perhaps a high density closed cell foam would be a
better choice.

Well, my camper was Commer Van based, and we slept in it, 2 adults and 3
children. The OP was talking about a camper, and I would think
condensation is something to consider in any of them.

I would think foam would be OK if thoroughly stuck on with nowhere for
water to run and hide.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 June 2019 09:30:08 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of bitumen flashing being used by some, whats current best practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

Bitumen paint is certainly cheap, only gives very limited effect though. Then it's down to foams of various sorts. Beware of condensation though. Chucked out rubber flooring offcuts would work well.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, whats the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? Ive heard of bitumen flashing being used by some, whats current best practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

I bought some stuff that was very sticky plastic on one side and lead on
the other. Very heavy but also very effective.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yeah that sounds like the stuff a chap used who did some welding for me, also called self adhesive bitumen flashing. Very heavy stuff, perfect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr
Sandman writes
Yeah that sounds like the stuff a chap used who did some welding for
me, also called self adhesive bitumen flashing. Very heavy stuff,
perfect.

There is also the stuff made for boat engines. A layer of foam, then a
layer of lead (the expensive stuff) or heavy plastic (a bit cheaper).

It works well for the original purpose and worked extremely well when a
built a sort o sound proofing "chimney" to silence a computer for use in
a studio.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, what‘s the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? I‘ve heard of bitumen flashing being used by some, what‘s current best practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

I bought some stuff that was very sticky plastic on one side and lead on
the other. Very heavy but also very effective.

The stuff you see on production cars - mainly to stop panels ringing - is
self adhesive bitumen panels. Peel and stick. A decent car paint supplier
should have them. You'll also see them inside quality loudspeaker cabinets.

I had a couple of the doors on the old Rover re-skinned. The originals had
these panels, the new skins not. Made the doors clang when shut. Fitting
the panels changed it to a more expensive sound. Not cheap, though.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, beware of strong side winds which can move an
air-cooled VW camper/combi/van from the motorway
slow lane into the fast lane before you can react.

Andrew

On 11/06/2019 08:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is that the air cooled old version?
Yuck good luck if it is!
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 10:54:26 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , Mr
Sandman writes
Yeah that sounds like the stuff a chap used who did some welding for me,
also called self adhesive bitumen flashing. Very heavy stuff, perfect.

I was working on a vintage Jag recently. Upon removing the rear seats
(which are the bench type and come out as one unit) there was some badly
deteriorated rubbery foam layer for sound-reduction purposes. It had to
be removed but was too fragile to survive. Rather than source a
replacement, I thought I might just re-fit the bench seat, then spray a
can of that expanding foam into the void where the rubber layer was. Sets
pretty rigid and occupies every cubic CC of space it can find. Might even
be better at noise-reduction than the original? Certainly quicker and
cheaper than trying to replicate the original from sheets of rubber foam!

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Self adhesive bitumen sounds like "Flashband", or is it thicker than
that? Flashband is pretty cheap, were you being charged Russ Andrews prices?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
I had a couple of the doors on the old Rover re-skinned. The originals
had these panels, the new skins not. Made the doors clang when shut.
Fitting the panels changed it to a more expensive sound. Not cheap,
though.

Self adhesive bitumen sounds like "Flashband", or is it thicker than
that? Flashband is pretty cheap, were you being charged Russ Andrews
prices?

It came from a decent local trade car paint supplier. How similar it is to
flashband, I dunno. It does have small holes in it at regular intervals.
It wasn't expensive as a percentage of the job - I merely thought it
expensive for what it appeared to be. But not so expensive as to want me
to experiment with an alternative.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:00:13 +0100, newshound wrote:

Self adhesive bitumen sounds like "Flashband", or is it thicker than
that? Flashband is pretty cheap, were you being charged Russ Andrews
prices?

How is this stuff supposed to deaden noise, exactly? It's intended for
sealing roofs, n'est pas?

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 16:15, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:00:13 +0100, newshound wrote:

Self adhesive bitumen sounds like "Flashband", or is it thicker than
that? Flashband is pretty cheap, were you being charged Russ Andrews
prices?

How is this stuff supposed to deaden noise, exactly? It's intended for
sealing roofs, n'est pas?

mass + damping.

samer as sand.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 16:18:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

mass + damping.

Ah, okay.

samer as sand.

You just invented a highly controversial new word there, NP.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
I had a couple of the doors on the old Rover re-skinned. The originals
had these panels, the new skins not. Made the doors clang when shut.
Fitting the panels changed it to a more expensive sound. Not cheap,
though.

Self adhesive bitumen sounds like "Flashband", or is it thicker than
that? Flashband is pretty cheap, were you being charged Russ Andrews
prices?

It came from a decent local trade car paint supplier. How similar it is to
flashband, I dunno. It does have small holes in it at regular intervals.
It wasn't expensive as a percentage of the job - I merely thought it
expensive for what it appeared to be. But not so expensive as to want me
to experiment with an alternative.

Never been able to figure what the holes are for. Surely not as guides
for cutting to shape?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

In article ,
newshound wrote:
I had a couple of the doors on the old Rover re-skinned. The originals
had these panels, the new skins not. Made the doors clang when shut.
Fitting the panels changed it to a more expensive sound. Not cheap,
though.

Self adhesive bitumen sounds like "Flashband", or is it thicker than
that? Flashband is pretty cheap, were you being charged Russ Andrews
prices?

It came from a decent local trade car paint supplier. How similar it is to
flashband, I dunno. It does have small holes in it at regular intervals.
It wasn't expensive as a percentage of the job - I merely thought it
expensive for what it appeared to be. But not so expensive as to want me
to experiment with an alternative.

Never been able to figure what the holes are for. Surely not as guides
for cutting to shape?

Preventing air bubbles from being trapped under it?

--

Roger Hayter