Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best value car sound deadening

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps, what‘s the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? I‘ve heard of bitumen flashing being used by some, what‘s current best practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.
Ta

I bought some stuff that was very sticky plastic on one side and lead on
the other. Very heavy but also very effective.

The stuff you see on production cars - mainly to stop panels ringing - is
self adhesive bitumen panels. Peel and stick. A decent car paint supplier
should have them. You'll also see them inside quality loudspeaker cabinets.

I had a couple of the doors on the old Rover re-skinned. The originals had
these panels, the new skins not. Made the doors clang when shut. Fitting
the panels changed it to a more expensive sound. Not cheap, though.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.