Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Band saw injury

So there I was changing the blade on the band saw - took the old one
off, and did that twisty thing to fold it into a quarter sized round for
storage...

Then I found the nice big large tooth re-saw blade I wanted, and went to
uncoil it. Now I was taking all the proper precautions (or so I
thought), cut proof gloves, and keeping it well away from the face etc.
First time it did not "untwang". So I adjusted my position and tried
again, and which point it sprung back into shape rather quickly, and
with a whoosh the bottom bit of it sprung round and hit me in the nuts!
(blunt side fortunately). Had to lay down on the floor for a bit after that!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2019 21:07, John Rumm wrote:
So there I was changing the blade on the band saw - took the old one
off, and did that twisty thing to fold it into a quarter sized round for
storage...

Then I found the nice big large tooth re-saw blade I wanted, and went to
uncoil it. Now I was taking all the proper precautions (or so I
thought), cut proof gloves, and keeping it well away from the face etc.
First time it did not "untwang". So I adjusted my position and tried
again, and which point it sprung back into shape rather quickly, and
with a whoosh the bottom bit of it sprung round and hit me in the nuts!
(blunt side fortunately). Had to lay down on the floor for a bit after
that!

I thought you were typing in a rather high-pitched, squeaky voice!

Glad to know you've still got all your arms and legs: Band saw injury is
a bit of a scarey title!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 June 2019 21:54:30 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
Glad to know you've still got all your arms and legs: Band saw injury is
a bit of a scarey title!

It is a bit.

Someone at the bus stop was talking about someone who'd lost four fingers in one.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 June 2019 21:07:27 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
So there I was changing the blade on the band saw - took the old one
off, and did that twisty thing to fold it into a quarter sized round for
storage...

Then I found the nice big large tooth re-saw blade I wanted, and went to
uncoil it. Now I was taking all the proper precautions (or so I
thought), cut proof gloves, and keeping it well away from the face etc.
First time it did not "untwang". So I adjusted my position and tried
again, and which point it sprung back into shape rather quickly, and
with a whoosh the bottom bit of it sprung round and hit me in the nuts!
(blunt side fortunately). Had to lay down on the floor for a bit after that!

Eek! I'm hiding behind the sofa. I know someone that would say that's an argument for early castration.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2019 21:07, John Rumm wrote:
So there I was changing the blade on the band saw - took the old one
off, and did that twisty thing to fold it into a quarter sized round for
storage...

Then I found the nice big large tooth re-saw blade I wanted, and went to
uncoil it. Now I was taking all the proper precautions (or so I
thought), cut proof gloves, and keeping it well away from the face etc.
First time it did not "untwang". So I adjusted my position and tried
again, and which point it sprung back into shape rather quickly, and
with a whoosh the bottom bit of it sprung round and hit me in the nuts!
(blunt side fortunately). Had to lay down on the floor for a bit after
that!

some years ago I had a couple of hives of bees. I was stung once through
my trousers into the scrotum. the next day my sack filled with fluid and
wasn't wrinkly again for a week.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
[...]

Some men pay for that (without the sting possibly?)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2019 00:30, TimW wrote:
[...]

Now there is a mental picture I could have done without!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2019 00:30, TimW wrote:

some years ago I had a couple of hives of bees. I was stung once through
my trousers into the scrotum. the next day my sack filled with fluid and
wasn't wrinkly again for a week.
TW

Following a major abdominal operation the fluid that gathered in my
abdomen drained into my scrotum and penis. At one stage I had to carry
my scrotum using two hands whenever I wanted to walk. My penis filled
more on one side than the other so my foreskin bulged out to the left
meaning that the whole apparatus was shaped like a capital letter L (in
an over-ornate font). I have photographs.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One thing to be very wary of is offering to repair anything powered by
clockwork.
Gramophone motors are notorious for giving people lacerations if the spring
breaks free or indeed just breaks. I once narrowly avoided injury from an
old meccano clockwork motor when the hooked bend retaining it broke and it
shot out like some demented rattle snake.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 June 2019 04:36:44 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
... I have photographs.

I hope that was within the digital photography era, and you didn't get them developed in Boots.

Or a Photo-Me booth.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright Wrote in message:
On 09/06/2019 00:30, TimW wrote:

some years ago I had a couple of hives of bees. I was stung once through
my trousers into the scrotum. the next day my sack filled with fluid and
wasn't wrinkly again for a week.
TW

Following a major abdominal operation the fluid that gathered in my
abdomen drained into my scrotum and penis. At one stage I had to carry
my scrotum using two hands whenever I wanted to walk. My penis filled
more on one side than the other so my foreskin bulged out to the left
meaning that the whole apparatus was shaped like a capital letter L (in
an over-ornate font). I have photographs.

Bill

You are...

https://www.google.com/search?q=bust...firefox-b&sour
ce=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0wsvH-dviAhW1VBUIHf7GDFkQ_AUIBig
B&biw=360&bih=568#mhpiv=0&spf=1560067840433

.....AICMFP
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
One thing to be very wary of is offering to repair anything powered by
clockwork.
Gramophone motors are notorious for giving people lacerations if the
spring breaks free or indeed just breaks. I once narrowly avoided injury
from an old meccano clockwork motor when the hooked bend retaining it
broke and it shot out like some demented rattle snake.
Brian

I compressed my mercedes front spring once prior to replacing it and feck me
one leg of the compressor sheared and the spring flew down the other end of
the garage....very dangerous .......very lucky I was

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 09/06/2019 00:30, TimW wrote:

some years ago I had a couple of hives of bees. I was stung once
through my trousers into the scrotum. the next day my sack filled with
fluid and wasn't wrinkly again for a week.
TW

Following a major abdominal operation the fluid that gathered in my
abdomen drained into my scrotum and penis. At one stage I had to carry
my scrotum using two hands whenever I wanted to walk. My penis filled
more on one side than the other so my foreskin bulged out to the left
meaning that the whole apparatus was shaped like a capital letter L (in
an over-ornate font). I have photographs.

Bill

I just had my second hydrocele repair, this time it held 500ml of fluid
which I carried round for a year as I was on a medicare waiting list
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 June 2019 15:52:36 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Your bus stops are weird.

There was a man and a women at the bus stop the other week.

I wasn't sure if they were ahead of me in the queue so I politely enquired if he was getting on.

He replied, "I'm banned" and then explained why, "for pishing on the bus". I thought, yes, that would do it.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sunday, 9 June 2019 15:52:36 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Your bus stops are weird.

There was a man and a women at the bus stop the other week.

I wasn't sure if they were ahead of me in the queue so I politely
enquired if he was getting on.

He replied, "I'm banned" and then explained why, "for pishing on the
bus". I thought, yes, that would do it.

Owain

It does rather beg the question, if he was banned, what was he doing at the
bus stop?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 June 2019 18:34:43 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
He replied, "I'm banned" and then explained why, "for pishing on the
bus". I thought, yes, that would do it.

It does rather beg the question, if he was banned, what was he doing at the
bus stop?

One or some of

(a) talking to his girlfriend
(b) waiting to see if it was a driver who would remember him
(c) waiting for the chemist to open for his daily methodone
(d) on his way to the Co-op for his morning croissant and Daily Telegraph

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2019 09:38, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
One thing to be very wary of is offering to repair anything powered by
clockwork.
Gramophone motors are notorious for giving people lacerations if the
spring breaks free or indeed just breaks. I once narrowly avoided injury
from an old meccano clockwork motor when the hooked bend retaining it
broke and it shot out like some demented rattle snake.
Brian

I compressed my mercedes front spring once prior to replacing it and feck me
one leg of the compressor sheared and the spring flew down the other end of
the garage....very dangerous .......very lucky I was

Just changed a rear spring on my Zafira yesterday. I was very pleased
that it was no more than jack up car, support on axle stands, support
suspension arm on jack, remove lower shock bolt, lower jack, swap spring
and reassemble in reverse order. I hate and fear spring compressors!

The downside was that having taken it for an MOT on Friday and finding
the spring snapped, I couldn't do it in the afternoon, as I was due at
the dentist. So I did it on Saturday morning and took it back in at
12:45, only to to find them shut - despite the signs inside and out
saying that there are open 'til 16:00 on a Saturday. Shut today and I've
got to take my son to a hospital appointment first thing tomorrow
morning, and then start a new job, so I can't take any more time off in
the week to get it retested and my wife is currently medically unable to
drive, so she can't take it. Grrrr.

Okay, I can use her car in the meantime, but a Matiz is not brilliant
for a family of 5 and shopping!

I should have taken mine in earlier (MOT ran out on Saturday), but with
my wife unable to work and me being out of work for 2-1/2 months, I was
holding off 'til I knew some money was coming in. A month of the wait
has been waiting for security clearance to come through.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

speshly as the matiz only had four seat belts ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

No it has five. That's why we bought it in the first place, when the
children were all small. It's one of the few small cars with five belts
and although we never normally use it for the whole family, we chose to
have a five seater, so that it could serve as a just about useable
backup for the family car.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

I stand corrected......yes I hate small four seaters as well....you feel you
are being cheated......cept for the mustang which I had five in on the
island of millport as the polis don't care....they were sitting sideways
though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:07:27 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
So there I was changing the blade on the band saw - took the old one
off, and did that twisty thing to fold it into a quarter sized round for
storage...

Then I found the nice big large tooth re-saw blade I wanted, and went to
uncoil it. Now I was taking all the proper precautions (or so I
thought), cut proof gloves, and keeping it well away from the face etc.
First time it did not "untwang". So I adjusted my position and tried
again, and which point it sprung back into shape rather quickly, and
with a whoosh the bottom bit of it sprung round and hit me in the nuts!
(blunt side fortunately). Had to lay down on the floor for a bit after that!

--
Cheers,

John.

When unwrapping a bandsaw blade after releasing the last tie I throw it awauy from me to the floor.
They're a *******. Despite watching endless you tube clips still have trouble folding them.
Dont like bandsaws anyway. Only fit for making firewood

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.internode.co.uk |

When unwrapping a bandsaw blade after releasing the last tie I throw it awauy from me to the floor.
They're a *******. Despite watching endless you tube clips still have trouble folding them.
Dont like bandsaws anyway. Only fit for making firewood

How else would you turn a tree trunk into planks?

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.internode.co.uk |

When unwrapping a bandsaw blade after releasing the last tie I throw it
awauy from me to the floor.
They're a *******. Despite watching endless you tube clips still have
trouble folding them.
Dont like bandsaws anyway. Only fit for making firewood

How else would you turn a tree trunk into planks?

Traction engine and Racksaw

https://youtu.be/W-BP3vF_oWg

Or Pitsaw

https://youtu.be/q4YBOk-JN3c

Band saws are a relatively new compared.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.internode.co.uk |

When unwrapping a bandsaw blade after releasing the last tie I throw it awauy from me to the floor.
They're a *******. Despite watching endless you tube clips still have trouble folding them.
Dont like bandsaws anyway. Only fit for making firewood

Wood? A proper metal cutting one can't be beaten for cutting odd shapes
of pieces of steel.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
One thing to be very wary of is offering to repair anything powered by
clockwork.
Gramophone motors are notorious for giving people lacerations if the
spring breaks free or indeed just breaks. I once narrowly avoided injury
from an old meccano clockwork motor when the hooked bend retaining it
broke and it shot out like some demented rattle snake.
Brian

I compressed my mercedes front spring once prior to replacing it and feck me
one leg of the compressor sheared and the spring flew down the other end of
the garage....very dangerous .......very lucky I was

Bungees are very dangerous.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 June 2019 12:48:58 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 10/06/2019 09:07, wrote:
On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:07:27 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Dont like bandsaws anyway. Only fit for making firewood

How else would you turn a tree trunk into planks?

Alaskan mills are popular.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Jun 2019 04:36:43 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 09/06/2019 00:30, TimW wrote:

some years ago I had a couple of hives of bees. I was stung once
through my trousers into the scrotum. the next day my sack filled with
fluid and wasn't wrinkly again for a week.
TW

Following a major abdominal operation the fluid that gathered in my
abdomen drained into my scrotum and penis. At one stage I had to carry
my scrotum using two hands whenever I wanted to walk. My penis filled
more on one side than the other so my foreskin bulged out to the left
meaning that the whole apparatus was shaped like a capital letter L (in
an over-ornate font). I have photographs.

That last sentence seems a little on the short side. Is it just me or
did anyone else get the impression that it may have been 25 characters
longer before Bill had second thoughts? :-)

--
Johnny B Good