Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable/Pipe detector

Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/06/2019 21:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

I have a cheap one and just recently used it to detect the nails holding
plaster board to the studding. Previously it was never much use but have
found if set properly it is quite useful. I use a known nail for example
and turn the wheel slowly until it beeps then pull the detector away and
it stops, place back over the nail and it should beep again.
I was too much on or off before without doing some fine tuning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 June 2019 21:58:58 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

A nail's the only 100% effective pipe detector. Avoid? Avoid the pipe.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2019 21:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

Another surprisingly good way to detect nails and hence studs is to use
a rare earth magnet suspended by a bit of thread as a sort of pendulum
(sliding the face of the magnet along the wall). I have used this with
some success to locate studs behind a very old lath and plaster wall,
where a "mid-priced" detector was pretty useless.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Any recomends/avoids?

Bosch GMS120, not amazingly cheap, gives false positives and false
negatives on wiring within plasterboard, wouldn't buy again ...

http://www.bosch-professional.com/za/en/detector-gms-120-131501-0601081000.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the principal they operate on is just simple detection of a change in
the resonance or otherwise of a coil at a given frequency. Copper moves it
one way, iron the other way, and depending on how wide you make the window
shows its accuracy, if you narrow it too much you might miss it completely,
but too wide tends to give results that are vague to say the least as they
may detect changes due to more distant metal or indeed normal fluctuations
in the make up of the wall itself.

Its very much like a metal detector.
Some I have seen seem to be able to detect live wires, I suspect this is
done by detecting the AC field in some way.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ss" wrote in message
On 02/06/2019 21:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

I have a cheap one and just recently used it to detect the nails holding
plaster board to the studding. Previously it was never much use but have
found if set properly it is quite useful. I use a known nail for example
and turn the wheel slowly until it beeps then pull the detector away and
it stops, place back over the nail and it should beep again.
I was too much on or off before without doing some fine tuning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

to detect the nails holding plaster board to the studding.

As someone else has mentioned, a pack of ten small neodymium magnets is
good for that, you leave one stuck to each nail/screw so can easily see
where the joist is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

I have a PlasPlugs Stud detector which does an admirable job of finding
cables and pipes as well. Ive had it years but I expect they still make
them. Mine has a line of LEDS which light to indicate the stud/pipe/cable.
You calibrate it by holding it against a bit of clear wall and pressing a
button, then sweep across the area to be checked.

Ive even used it on my previous motorhome which had a thin metal skin
(aluminium) to detect wooden hard points to mount a back box.

Resolution is pretty good, you can find the edge of a stud within 1/8 or
so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

I've got three or four. None 100% reliable. Usually false positives.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2019 21:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

Interesting one here
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/scorched-floor-hardy-plantings-ask-toh
and skip to about a minute in.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2019 08:00, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

to detect the nails holding plaster board to the studding.

As someone else has mentioned, a pack of ten small neodymium magnets is
good for that, you leave one stuck to each nail/screw so can easily see
where the joist is.

That's a neat idea, I have a pack of small self-adhesive ones that I've
never found a use for. (I realise I won't need the adhesive there).

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 23:47:39 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Any recomends/avoids?

Bosch GMS120, not amazingly cheap, gives false positives and false
negatives on wiring within plasterboard, wouldn't buy again ...

The reviews on that model agree. The somewhat cheaper and more basic
Bosch Truvo, does a little better but still isn't brlliant.

Tempted to take a punt on Amazon around the 20 quid mark. Or dig out
a 30+ year old cheapy from Maplin that sort of works. Was hopeing
technology would have moved on a bit...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 23:15:08 +0100, newshound wrote:

Another surprisingly good way to detect nails and hence studs is to use
a rare earth magnet suspended by a bit of thread as a sort of pendulum

Thinking of doing that to find floorboard screws under a fitted
carpet so that they can be tightened and hopefully stop noises from
the floor as you walk across it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 23:47:39 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Any recomends/avoids?

Bosch GMS120, not amazingly cheap, gives false positives and false
negatives on wiring within plasterboard, wouldn't buy again ...

The reviews on that model agree. The somewhat cheaper and more basic
Bosch Truvo, does a little better but still isn't brlliant.

Tempted to take a punt on Amazon around the 20 quid mark. Or dig out
a 30+ year old cheapy from Maplin that sort of works. Was hopeing
technology would have moved on a bit...

It has with the fancy ones that work with a smartphone, but they aren't
cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paulk wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Was hopeing technology would have moved on a bit...

It has with the fancy ones that work with a smartphone

I'd worry about how "gimmicky" they are when they show an image
representing their interpretation of what they've detected within the
wall ...

but they aren't cheap.

More profitable, rather than more better?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 07:47:57 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Was hopeing technology would have moved on a bit...

It has with the fancy ones that work with a smartphone

I'd worry about how "gimmicky" they are when they show an image
representing their interpretation of what they've detected within the
wall ...

Quite, I wasn't overly impressed by the demo linked to earlier.
Plenty of false detections that where ignored by the demonstrators...

but they aren't cheap.

More profitable, rather than more better?

B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 13:25:13 +1000, Paulk, better known as cantankerous

Tempted to take a punt on Amazon around the 20 quid mark. Or dig out
a 30+ year old cheapy from Maplin that sort of works. Was hopeing
technology would have moved on a bit...

It has with the fancy ones that work with a smartphone, but they aren't
cheap.

That's not the kind of gimmick technology he meant, senile Rodent, you
retarded gimmick enthusiast and Apple, Google, M$ and Amazon adorer! tsk

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2019 21:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

I have a Zicon M40 metal detector that works well although it seems a
LOT more expensive than when I purchased it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX7ppHXm2-A

Despite the above video showing that the metal was in the mid point
between two marked positions if the user had calibrated again to
decrease sensitivity the detector would have only shown maximum reading
at the metals' location. The calibration is as simple as holding down
the button. Holding it down away from the metal gives maximum
sensitivity and holding it down closer to the metal progressively lower
sensitivity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 09:35:30 +0100, alan_m wrote:

I have a Zicon M40 metal detector that works well although it seems a
LOT more expensive than when I purchased it.

It's also "discontinued" here and there as well at least hits using
m40 rather than z62616 are... Quite like the "wide" and "pinpoint"
scanning. Just over 50 from Amazon or 49.99 from CEF of all
places. Bit on the pricey side.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Paulk wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Was hopeing technology would have moved on a bit...

It has with the fancy ones that work with a smartphone

I'd worry about how "gimmicky" they are when they show an image
representing their interpretation of what they've detected within the wall

but they aren't cheap.

More profitable, rather than more better?

The youtube does show it working very well. Not cheap tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paulk wrote:

The youtube does show it working very well. Not cheap tho.

Google "walabot" for other videos, some quite variable in performance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 04:03:58 +1000, Paulk, better known as cantankerous

More profitable, rather than more better?

The youtube does show it working very well. Not cheap tho.

So you looked it up, you miserable lonely useless cretin? Should have known
it! LOL

little ignorant ****."
MID: