Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Cable/Pipe detector

On 02/06/2019 21:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

I have a Zicon M40 metal detector that works well although it seems a
LOT more expensive than when I purchased it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX7ppHXm2-A

Despite the above video showing that the metal was in the mid point
between two marked positions if the user had calibrated again to
decrease sensitivity the detector would have only shown maximum reading
at the metals' location. The calibration is as simple as holding down
the button. Holding it down away from the metal gives maximum
sensitivity and holding it down closer to the metal progressively lower
sensitivity.