Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Cable/Pipe detector

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Any recomends/avoids?

The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a
significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be
from dimwits suffering from "operator error" or "bought a screwdriver
to drive in nails" categories.

Detection of cables/pipes mainly, studs would nice.

I have a PlasPlugs Stud detector which does an admirable job of finding
cables and pipes as well. Ive had it years but I expect they still make
them. Mine has a line of LEDS which light to indicate the stud/pipe/cable.
You calibrate it by holding it against a bit of clear wall and pressing a
button, then sweep across the area to be checked.

Ive even used it on my previous motorhome which had a thin metal skin
(aluminium) to detect wooden hard points to mount a back box.

Resolution is pretty good, you can find the edge of a stud within 1/8 or
so.