Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezer door left open alarm

Working fine. This one -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TM803-Fri...-/122238036405

I was confused about the range of the settings for these things,
because none of them suggested that their alarm systems were capable of
being set to negative/ below zero values.

This one can display the temperature where the display is installed
(in) or that of the remote (out) wired sensor. An alarm can only be set
for the 'out' sensor, an high alarm and/or a low temperature alarm can
be set. Rear of display is fitted with magnets, so it can be stuck to
the side of a fridge or freezer.

I have it set to alarm if the temperature in the upright freezer rises
higher than 13.5C, which is located in the utility. Low alarm set to
minimum, high alarm set to 13.5C. It triggers within seconds, if the
door is opened, but restricts itself to a few bleeps every minute as a
warning - it is just audible in the kitchen. I will eventually move the
display through the wall, into the kitchen, to make it more audible.

The freezer already had a high temperature alarm, but just a light and
not easy to spot unless you went in the freezer. I could have rigged up
a simple door open alarm, but that would only trigger with the door
open - this alarm will trigger if the door is open too long, or the
freezer fails, or power is lost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Chris Hogg formulated :
On rare occasions I have left our (upright) freezer door not fully
closed. I doubt that it got significantly less cold inside, and the
compressor probably worked hard, but when I came to open it the
following day, it was a mass of icicles and frozen condensate,
requiring a total defrost to clear it.

As was mine, which is why I decided a solution was called for..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg was thinking very hard :
In which case a simple temperature sensor might not register the
problem if the temperature doesn't rise far enough. Perhaps a
microswitch on the door, connected to a time-delay system, allowing
you a few minutes access to the freezer before the alarm goes off?

As said, it works fine, responding quickly to the door being opened. It
generally shows minus 17.5 to 18.5C, alarm set to trigger at higher
than minus 13.5C. Left open for a full minute, the alarm sounds, but
easy to ignore if you wish to, because it only sounds once per minute.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2019 10:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have it set to alarm if the temperature in the upright freezer rises
higher than 13.5C, which is located in the utility. Low alarm set to
minimum, high alarm set to 13.5C.

Do you mean minus 13.5C?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright expressed precisely :
Do you mean minus 13.5C?

Sorry, yes minus 13.5C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

why not just use the door to control a switch like they do for the fridge
light, never did understand why a few pence on such a device was not on all
freezers.
Cue Tommy Steel, i Puts the Lightie On on deca.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff formulated the question :
why not just use the door to control a switch like they do for the fridge
light, never did understand why a few pence on such a device was not on all
freezers.

It already has a built in 'temperature too high' warning light, but
when lit it is not obvious unless you look at it with the door open and
when you are in the utility room. I wanted an audible means of knowing
when in the kitchen, that the door was left open or the temperature in
the freezer went to high. So this serves to warn if the door has been
left open, power has been lost, or the freezer has suffered some other
failure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 May 2019 10:07:53 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

[...]

Mine didn't, just quite a bit of black mould on
the inside of the door, easy enough to get rid of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed

On Mon, 20 May 2019 13:59:17 +1000, billj, better known as cantankerous

On rare occasions I have left our (upright) freezer door not fully
closed. I doubt that it got significantly less cold inside, and the
compressor probably worked hard, but when I came to open it the
following day, it was a mass of icicles and frozen condensate,
requiring a total defrost to clear it.

Mine didn't

Nobody gives a ****, senile Ozzie pest!

--
about senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Fecking freezer door left ajar ... Jethro[_5_] UK diy 71 September 26th 11 02:15 PM
Freezer door alarm Mike Barnes UK diy 22 April 14th 09 12:00 PM
Refrig: Freezer-compartment-door sometimes open quarter-inch or so David Combs Home Repair 5 May 4th 08 01:58 PM
Garage door open alarm Frank Warner Home Repair 15 June 7th 06 12:59 AM
freezer door pops open FearlessFerret Electronics Repair 7 November 14th 05 10:24 PM