Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrig: Freezer-compartment-door sometimes open quarter-inch or so

Sometimes, after someone has been rooting around in the
freezer part of the refrig, and when done pushes the
door closed, even "slams" it a bit, because of
how frozen food got moved around, it pushes the door
open a small bit, like a quarter or third of an inch or so.

Problem is, you don't notice it.

(The freezer compartment is *lower* part of this
refrigerator -- I like it that way, being 6'2"!).

Not so good, being open that "small" amount for, say,
overnight! (*I* know it's potentially dangerous -- parts of food
near that leak goes from 5F to maybe 25F, still staying "frozen",
but it's different.

And if it actually gets some parts up to 40F for from anywhere
from 20 min up, before the door gets closed tightly,
and it goes back down to 5 above, well, it's not
a good situation, for sure.

---------------------------------

I'm sure mine isn't the only household on this newsgroup
that's had this problem from time to time, what with
all the family members who retrieve stuff from the freezer.

So, what kind of easy scheme do you guys use to make
sure the freezer door *cannot* inadvertently come open?

Maybe some kind of glued-on latch, maybe?

Anyway, I could sure use some ideas!

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote
..
freezer part of the refrig, and when done pushes the
door closed, even "slams" it a bit, because of
how frozen food got moved around, it pushes the door
open a small bit, like a quarter or third of an inch or so.

Happens. If the door is even, you may just need to adjust the feet better.
Most of them have feet that can screw out a bit to handle a slightly less
than even floor. You screw the front ones a little longer out and it helps.

If it's a rather old unit that doesnt have that adjustable footing, you
might be able to shim up the front about 1/4 inch with some sort of
coasters. These 2 are basically the same and really fast and harmless to
try.

I'll add you have some other problem with the seal but in an older machine,
you may be able to salvage it if whatever the others who know more than I,
is not possible for you.

(The freezer compartment is *lower* part of this
refrigerator -- I like it that way, being 6'2"!).

Grin, 5'1" and I too like the bottom freezer types since I don't need in
there nearly as often as the rest of the fridge! Oddly, they are rather
hard to find so when I got my last one, I had to go with a top unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
[...]

Here are some similar household issues:
- "Someone" consistently doesn't set up the shower curtain right, so the
bathroom floor gets wetter than it should.
- "Someone" consistently stuffs the toilet.

The solutions don't involve buying, adjusting or modifying anything. The
solution is to teach the "someone" how to do things right. So, no latch on
your freezer. Deal with the "someone".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 3:26*am, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

Does it slide in, then raise front metal feet so gravity helps it
close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Possibilities:
* The hinges are out of alignment. Loosen the hinges and adjust them so
the seal doesn't rub on the hinge side.
* The seal is dirty. Clean it with a mild kitchen cleaner. Make sure to
get the crud out of the cracks. Clean the metal, too. When you're done
cleaning, clean it again with a new rag.
* The seal drags excessivly. Lubricate the surface of the seal with
petroleum jelly. This requires only a very thin coat. If you can see and
feel it, you put on too much.
* The seal is just worn out. Replace it. Remember to do the cleaning and
lubricating.

Free tip: To test for a good seal, close the door on a banknote. Try to
pull the banknote out. It should resist pulling out, but not to the point
of tearing. Repeat all around the door--the seal might be too tight in one
spot and too loose in another.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Thanks for the replies.

Making it worse than just gravity is that some stuff
inside got moved, so that it's weight (heavish) is somehow
vectored towards the door.

So the door swings shut, you hear it do that, but
then that weight goes to work, opening the door.

Maybe even it falls down a bit, getting wedged between
something now behind it and the door.

Does anyone get *that* kind of problem?

(Yeah -- one answer, "eat the damn food!, and then
don't keep it so full in the future!")

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:

[...]

Everyone has this problem at some point. It's a human problem, not a
refrigerator problem. Change the behavior which causes the problem and
you'll be all set.