Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Warner

Default Garage door open alarm

I need a way to tell if my swing-up garage door is open or closed
without going outside to look at it. An indicator light or something
inside the house that tells me if the door is up or down.

Reason: Too many instances of me or one of the kids opening the door
and leaving it open all night, with thousands of dollars worth of tools
and other stuff inside. Garage faces the street. Anybody walking by
could snatch something off my workbench and be gone before we could do
anything about it.

Can't see the door from inside the house, so I want a way to tell at a
glance from inside the house if I need to go outside and close it for
the night.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Tue, 30 May 2006 11:55:41 -0700, Frank Warner
wrote:

I need a way to tell if my swing-up garage door is open or closed
without going outside to look at it. An indicator light or something
inside the house that tells me if the door is up or down.

Reason: Too many instances of me or one of the kids opening the door
and leaving it open all night, with thousands of dollars worth of tools
and other stuff inside. Garage faces the street. Anybody walking by
could snatch something off my workbench and be gone before we could do
anything about it.

Can't see the door from inside the house, so I want a way to tell at a
glance from inside the house if I need to go outside and close it for
the night.

-Frank

I had one given to me, but I have not tried it yet.

http://www.liftmaster.com/cw/product...id-118,00.html

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
NJTrout

I have a Sears Craftsman device that was included with the garage door
opener. Doesn't look like more than a mercury switch and transmitter.
Receiver sits in the kitchen.

Check out Sears.

NJTrout

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Warner

wrote:

I need a way to tell if my swing-up garage door is open or closed
without going outside to look at it. An indicator light or something
inside the house that tells me if the door is up or down.

Reason: Too many instances of me or one of the kids opening the door
and leaving it open all night, with thousands of dollars worth of tools
and other stuff inside. Garage faces the street. Anybody walking by
could snatch something off my workbench and be gone before we could do
anything about it.

Can't see the door from inside the house, so I want a way to tell at a
glance from inside the house if I need to go outside and close it for
the night.

-Frank

I had one given to me, but I have not tried it yet.

http://www.liftmaster.com/cw/product...lqZw==_272-id-
118,00.html

Amazing. I must not be the only person with this problem.

Thanks for the link.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Warner

In article . com,
NJTrout wrote:

I have a Sears Craftsman device that was included with the garage door
opener. Doesn't look like more than a mercury switch and transmitter.
Receiver sits in the kitchen.

Check out Sears.

NJTrout

I will check there, too. Looks like the device Oren posted might do the
trick for not a lot of $$$.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Frank Warner wrote:
I need a way to tell if my swing-up garage door is open or closed
without going outside to look at it. An indicator light or something
inside the house that tells me if the door is up or down.

Reason: Too many instances of me or one of the kids opening the door
and leaving it open all night, with thousands of dollars worth of
tools and other stuff inside. Garage faces the street. Anybody
walking by could snatch something off my workbench and be gone before
we could do anything about it.

Can't see the door from inside the house, so I want a way to tell at a
glance from inside the house if I need to go outside and close it for
the night.

-Frank

I believe these folk have one.

http://www.smarthome.com

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

I bought a garage door indicator from Sears, about $ 40, consisting of a
small transmitter that attaches to the door and a receiving unit that plugs
in the wall.

Worked for about half a year. Range was less than anticipated: about 35'. I
junked mine because the velcro sticker kept coming lose from the (vibrating)
garage door.

You can buy them on E-bay for about $ 20; new

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Frank Warner" wrote in message
. ..
I need a way to tell if my swing-up garage door is open or closed
without going outside to look at it. An indicator light or something
inside the house that tells me if the door is up or down.

Reason: Too many instances of me or one of the kids opening the door
and leaving it open all night, with thousands of dollars worth of tools
and other stuff inside. Garage faces the street. Anybody walking by
could snatch something off my workbench and be gone before we could do
anything about it.

Can't see the door from inside the house, so I want a way to tell at a
glance from inside the house if I need to go outside and close it for
the night.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
NJTrout

I've had the Sears Garage Door reminder device for about 3 years, I
screwed it onto the door. Still on original batteries. This was
included with my garage door opener. Not sure about the range issue
mentioned below. We have a standard 48 foot bi-level and it works fine
between the door and kitchen.

NJTrout

Walter R. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

I need a way to tell if my swing-up garage door is open or closed
without going outside to look at it. An indicator light or something
inside the house that tells me if the door is up or down.

Reason: Too many instances of me or one of the kids opening the door
and leaving it open all night, with thousands of dollars worth of tools
and other stuff inside. Garage faces the street. Anybody walking by
could snatch something off my workbench and be gone before we could do
anything about it.

Can't see the door from inside the house, so I want a way to tell at a
glance from inside the house if I need to go outside and close it for
the night.

It's hard to give the best advice from a text description.

Please email me your address and I'll stop by to look at the premises
up close and in detail.

-Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian

If you have existing alarm system those would be my choice

http://www.smarthome.com/7455.html

Some, could be programed to show text messages:

Garage door is open.... Etc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Warner

wrote:

I need a way to tell if my swing-up garage door is open or closed
without going outside to look at it. An indicator light or something
inside the house that tells me if the door is up or down.

Reason: Too many instances of me or one of the kids opening the door
and leaving it open all night, with thousands of dollars worth of tools
and other stuff inside. Garage faces the street. Anybody walking by
could snatch something off my workbench and be gone before we could do
anything about it.

Can't see the door from inside the house, so I want a way to tell at a
glance from inside the house if I need to go outside and close it for
the night.

It's hard to give the best advice from a text description.

Please email me your address and I'll stop by to look at the premises
up close and in detail.

Here ya go:

601 4th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535-0002

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

I bought a really nice remote unit from Sears for about $35. There is a
small sending unit that velcros to the door and when the door is up it
flashes red, when down, steady green. We have it in our bedroom and it has
saved many trips to check the door at night. We also have a remote next to
the unit and all we have to do is press it if the door is up, saving another
trip. It has worked very well in the three years we have had it.
JD

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
NJTrout

JD,

Can you see the garage door from your bedroom? If I cannot see the door
clearly, I will not operate the remote. Just trying to keep safety in
mind when using garage door openers.

NJTrout

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam E

On 6 Jun 2006 10:58:15 -0700, "NJTrout"
wrote:

JD,

Can you see the garage door from your bedroom? If I cannot see the door
clearly, I will not operate the remote. Just trying to keep safety in
mind when using garage door openers.

NJTrout

[snip]

"Light" doesn't exist. What you see is an illusion caused by the
absorption of darkness. That bright light is sucking up too much of
your darkness. You need to install a powerful dark bulb. Darkness is
produced more efficiently than "light", so a 1000W dark bulb gives off
as much darkness as a 2200W "light" bulb absorbs. Some leakage is
inevitable. Use a dark bulb with a wattage that's 130% or the light
bulb with a directional reflector to obtain 99% complete darkness.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam E

wrote:

JD,

Can you see the garage door from your bedroom? If I cannot see the door
clearly, I will not operate the remote. Just trying to keep safety in
mind when using garage door openers.

NJTrout

[snip]

"Light" doesn't exist. What you see is an illusion caused by the
absorption of darkness. That bright light is sucking up too much of
your darkness. You need to install a powerful dark bulb. Darkness is
produced more efficiently than "light", so a 1000W dark bulb gives off
as much darkness as a 2200W "light" bulb absorbs. Some leakage is
inevitable. Use a dark bulb with a wattage that's 130% or the light
bulb with a directional reflector to obtain 99% complete darkness.

Sorry for the intrusion. This post was meant for someplace else.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

wrote:

[...]

But it goes along with a lot of the answers on this group.

Mains Smoke Alarm thankyousam UK diy 17 June 6th 06 04:53 PM
thoughts on garage conversions [email protected] UK diy 3 September 20th 05 10:11 AM
Two questions about security light above the garage door [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 26th 05 12:16 AM
Garage Supply - Spured off house sockets? Paul K UK diy 4 January 4th 04 05:44 PM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM