Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damage to underground cable outer

I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-01, John Rumm wrote:

On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

What would you use? Heat-shrink (which would require disconnecting
one end temporarily, & possibly dragging the sleeve quite a long way),
self-amalgamating tape, etc.?

(I haven't done this, but I do have SWA running along a fence just
above ground, & would like to know just in case.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2019 03:05, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

Isn't the armoured layer typically galvanised mild steel?

I'd be inclined to seal the nick anyway on a nice dry summers day after
shielding it from rain for a while.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-01, John Rumm wrote:

On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

What would you use? Heat-shrink (which would require disconnecting
one end temporarily, & possibly dragging the sleeve quite a long way),
self-amalgamating tape, etc.?

Self amalgamating tape or butyl pond liner offcuts and suitable glue.

A blob of hot melt glue might also be "good enough".

Avoid things that emit acetic acid when they cure.

(I haven't done this, but I do have SWA running along a fence just
above ground, & would like to know just in case.)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-01, John Rumm wrote:

On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

What would you use? Heat-shrink (which would require disconnecting
one end temporarily, & possibly dragging the sleeve quite a long way),
self-amalgamating tape, etc.?

SA tape would probably do. You can get adhesive lined heatshrink - so
you could probably slit that along the length and then apply it as a patch.

You can also get purpose made sleeves for repairing damaged SWA etc. E.g:

https://www.powerandcables.com/produ...sheath-repair/

(I haven't done this, but I do have SWA running along a fence just
above ground, & would like to know just in case.)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2019 10:46, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/05/2019 03:05, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

Isn't the armoured layer typically galvanised mild steel?

Yup, usually. Depending on where the knick is, you might get water track
along inside the cable up to a termination where the cut ends of the
armour are, and are more vulnerable to corrosion.

I'd be inclined to seal the nick anyway on a nice dry summers day after
shielding it from rain for a while.

Yup sounds like a plan. A small knick you can just apply something to it
that will set. If you have sliced off a length of outer jacket with a
spade, then a sleeve of some kind might be easier.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

The armouring is at risk of rusting now. But it's fully fixable:

Self amalgamating electrical tape. Dry everything, wrap several layers
*tightly* (this is key - the tape should stretch as you go - leave no
air gaps).

Work from one end, an inch past the nick, then over an inch past the
other way, then back and forth.

Me: I'd make 3 passes. It'll weld into a solid mass, is fully weather proof.

The used to use this to complete underground cable joints decades ago.

eg:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/self-...tapes/0494433/

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 12:05:44 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Self amalgamating electrical tape. Dry everything, wrap several layers
*tightly* (this is key - the tape should stretch as you go - leave no
air gaps).

Self-amalgamating tape may be waterproof amalgamated to itself, but will it stick watertightly to PVC sheathing to prevent moisture creeping in?

I think some form of adhesive would be required for certainty

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/05/2019 15:35, DerbyBorn wrote:

I was out first thing before seeing most of the replies. I put some
Superglue into the nick then a coating of LS-X. The nick is only about 1/4
inch from the wall where the cable goes through. There is no slack for
doing much.

I guess it will "see me out"

:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 00:03:42 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

My first choice would be bitumen in solvent.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2019 15:35, DerbyBorn wrote:
John Rumm wrote in news:jL-
:

[...]

Superglue is a bit too nearly water soluble for my liking. For a small
nick I'd probably use bitumen paint after getting it good and dry.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 May 2019 07:09:48 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You could use one of the clip on, resin filled swa junction boxes, just
without any actual junction ...

e.g.
https://www.swaonline.co.uk/cable-jointing/cellpack-resin-cable-joint-kits/straight-resin-joint-kit

Not

Not? LOL

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-01, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Interesting, thanks.

(I haven't done this, but I do have SWA running along a fence just
above ground, & would like to know just in case.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-01, John Rumm wrote:

On 01/05/2019 10:46, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/05/2019 03:05, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

Isn't the armoured layer typically galvanised mild steel?

Yup, usually. Depending on where the knick is, you might get water track
along inside the cable up to a termination where the cut ends of the
armour are, and are more vulnerable to corrosion.

I guess the nick could also have damaged the zinc coating of the steel
wires?