Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default Damage to underground cable outer

John Rumm wrote in news:jL-
:

On 01/05/2019 10:46, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/05/2019 03:05, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

Isn't the armoured layer typically galvanised mild steel?

Yup, usually. Depending on where the knick is, you might get water track
along inside the cable up to a termination where the cut ends of the
armour are, and are more vulnerable to corrosion.

I'd be inclined to seal the nick anyway on a nice dry summers day after
shielding it from rain for a while.

Yup sounds like a plan. A small knick you can just apply something to it
that will set. If you have sliced off a length of outer jacket with a
spade, then a sleeve of some kind might be easier.

I was out first thing before seeing most of the replies. I put some
Superglue into the nick then a coating of LS-X. The nick is only about 1/4
inch from the wall where the cable goes through. There is no slack for
doing much. I guess it will "see me out"