Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Damage to underground cable outer

On 2019-05-01, John Rumm wrote:

On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

What would you use? Heat-shrink (which would require disconnecting
one end temporarily, & possibly dragging the sleeve quite a long way),
self-amalgamating tape, etc.?

SA tape would probably do. You can get adhesive lined heatshrink - so
you could probably slit that along the length and then apply it as a patch.

You can also get purpose made sleeves for repairing damaged SWA etc. E.g:

https://www.powerandcables.com/produ...sheath-repair/

Interesting, thanks.

(I haven't done this, but I do have SWA running along a fence just
above ground, & would like to know just in case.)