Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damage to underground cable outer

On 01/05/2019 03:05, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/05/2019 00:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
I was attacking the ivy on the side of my garage with a spade and
accidentally bashed a cable that goes from the house to the garage.

The outer sheath has a nick where it bends into the wall. Do I need to
worry about it? It is proper underground cable installed by the house
builder in 1988. Armoured with earthed wires.

Do I need to patch the sheath?

I would, otherwise the armour will rust eventually.

Isn't the armoured layer typically galvanised mild steel?

I'd be inclined to seal the nick anyway on a nice dry summers day after
shielding it from rain for a while.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown