Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with cordless spotlight

I have a Livarno Lux (Lidl) cordless spotlight - the sort with a large
diameter lens at the front, behind which is a powerful halolgen (55w)
bulb and a ring of LEDs, and with a white LED and flashing red LED at
the back.

It normally travels in the boot of my car in case of emergency, but
tends to roll around a bit - which may be related to the problem.

I recently found that it was completely dead - none of its 4 lights
would work. [You're supposed to charge it regularly since the battery
can apparently be damaged if it becomes deeply discharged. It was
working when I tested it 3 or 4 weeks ago, so it's possible that it got
turned on while rolling around (don't we all!) and flattened its battery.]

I recharged it for over 24 hours, and the battery's open circuit voltage
is well above its rated 6v. Three of the 4 lights now work, but the 55w
halogen doesn't. I've tested the bulb on a bench power supply, and it
lights up ok - but in the lantern, nothing. It's drawing several amps
but not lighting - or even getting warm, so I don't know where the
energy is going.

55w at 6v equates to over 9amps, so the filament resistance is only
about 2/3 of an ohm when hot - even lower when cold. Any additional
resistance in the circuit will have a dramatic effect on the current,
and probably stop it lighting.

Question to those who are knowledgeable about rechargeable batteries . . .
What sort of "damage" is likely to result from being discharged too
deeply? Is it possible that this could increase its internal resistance?
If so, is there any remedy - or is it scrap?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 April 2019 23:31:22 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Likely the battery doesn't have enough oomph to drive the halogen. A multimeter will soon tell you whether that's where the fault is.

If the battery's not well you can try pulse charging it.
'Well above 6v' is too vague btw.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2019 23:32, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

What's the battery volts when the halogen is turned on?

I'm thinking the battery is happy to power the LEDs but drops all its
volts when connected to a 'cold' halogen bulb with a very low resistance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 00:09, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

. .
What sort of "damage" is likely to result from being discharged too
deeply? Is it possible that this could increase its internal
resistance? If so, is there any remedy - or is it scrap?

What's the battery volts when the halogen is turned on?

I'm thinking the battery is happy to power the LEDs but drops all its
volts when connected to a 'cold' halogen bulb with a very low resistance.

My thoughts too. Also, what sort of battery is it? Do you *actually*
need a spotlight? I reckon those "work" floodlights are usually much
more useful, they are LED and lithium ion and hence very efficient.
Could you replace the halogen with some sort of LED?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2019 10:42, newshound wrote:
[...]

. . .
What sort of "damage" is likely to result from being discharged too
deeply? Is it possible that this could increase its internal
resistance? If so, is there any remedy - or is it scrap?

What's the battery volts when the halogen is turned on?

I'm thinking the battery is happy to power the LEDs but drops all its
volts when connected to a 'cold' halogen bulb with a very low resistance.

My thoughts too. Also, what sort of battery is it? Do you *actually*
need a spotlight? I reckon those "work" floodlights are usually much
more useful, they are LED and lithium ion and hence very efficient.
Could you replace the halogen with some sort of LED?

I only use the spotlight occasionally - usually when delving around in
dark attics - so I *can* manage without it. It has to be used sparingly
anyway, because it soon drains the battery. The ring of LEDs produces a
reasonable light - but nothing like as bright as the halogen bulb (when
it's working!).

The battery is lead-acid - 6v 4Ah.

One or two people asked about actual voltages - so I've done a few
measurements.

When on charge, the battery floats at just under 8v. After removing it
from charge, and waiting an hour or two, it settles at about 6.65v open
circuit. When either the side LED or rear flasher are on, it drops to
about 6.59v. Then the front LED ring is on, it drops to about 6.51v.

When the halogen is switched on, the battery drops to 0.14v !! So, for
whatever reason, the battery is no longer able to deliver the 9amps or
so required to power the halogen bulb - and appears to have developed a
high internal resistance.

Could that be caused by discharging it too deeply? If not, by what else?
Is there any fix other than replacing the battery?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Is there any fix other than replacing the battery?

Given that a new battery (assuming NP4-6 type) is around £10 +/-2, is it
worth worrying?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 April 2019 13:48:22 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Those are all healthy voltages

When the halogen is switched on, the battery drops to 0.14v !! So, for
whatever reason, the battery is no longer able to deliver the 9amps or
so required to power the halogen bulb - and appears to have developed a
high internal resistance.

Could that be caused by discharging it too deeply? If not, by what else?
Is there any fix other than replacing the battery?

Battery knackered, obviously. Sitting around discharged is fatal to lead acids. It might be worth a go discharging it to about 3.5v then immediately pulse charging it. A variant of that method was used a fair bit back in the 50s to get car batteries good enough to sell the car. You need a charger with recondition mode of course - or could do it the old way, but those setups tended to be a hazard.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 22/04/2019 13:55, Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Is there any fix other than replacing the battery?

Given that a new battery (assuming NP4-6 type) is around £10 +/-2, is it
worth worrying?

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Is there any fix other than replacing the battery?

Given that a new battery (assuming NP4-6 type) is around £10 +/-2, is
it worth worrying?

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3 years.
I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of tools in
the unlit garage.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. Lead acid batterys dont like that unless designed to be
deep discharge batterys and that battery is very unlikely to be.

If not, by what else?

Leaving it flat.

Is there any fix other than replacing the battery?

Replace the whole thing with one that uses a
high intensity led for the spotlight function.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 07:05:24 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

And you HAD to **** also in this thread, eh, you senile pest?

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 April 2019 22:12:55 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 22/04/2019 18:45, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 22 April 2019 13:48:22 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:

Could that be caused by discharging it too deeply? If not, by what else?
Is there any fix other than replacing the battery?

Battery knackered, obviously. Sitting around discharged is fatal to lead acids. It might be worth a go discharging it to about 3.5v then immediately pulse charging it. A variant of that method was used a fair bit back in the 50s to get car batteries good enough to sell the car. You need a charger with recondition mode of course - or could do it the old way, but those setups tended to be a hazard.

NT

Could be worth a try. The only charger I have is the wallwart which came
with it.

that certainly won't do it.

What is the 'old' way - manually switching it on and off? If
so, at what frequency?

Connecting to the mains via a rectifier & current limiting lightbulb. It's not safe, don't do it. The basic idea is that excess voltage can break down some of the sulphation, which insulates & blocks ion flow. Of course that can only be applied in pulses, otherwise the battery would overheat grossly..

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 21:28:09 +0100
AJH wrote:

On 22/04/2019 20:30, ARW wrote:

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3
years. I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of
tools in the unlit garage.

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:

On 22/04/2019 20:30, ARW wrote:

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3
years. I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of
tools in the unlit garage.

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:
On 22/04/2019 20:30, ARW wrote:

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3
years. I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of
tools in the unlit garage.

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

So just cut one candle into a million slices & light them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:
On 22/04/2019 20:30, ARW wrote:

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3
years. I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of
tools in the unlit garage.

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

So just cut one candle into a million slices & light them.

Tried that, it didnt work, couldn't light them, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:
On 22/04/2019 20:30, ARW wrote:

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3
years. I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of
tools in the unlit garage.

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

So just cut one candle into a million slices & light them.

Tried that, it didnt work, couldn't light them, stupid.

Sorry to hear you were too stupid to light them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 12:26:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3
years. I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of
tools in the unlit garage.

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

Nobody asked you anything, senile Rot!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:
On 22/04/2019 20:30, ARW wrote:

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3
years. I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of
tools in the unlit garage.

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

So just cut one candle into a million slices & light them.

Tried that, it didnt work, couldn't light them, stupid.

Sorry to hear you were too stupid to light them.

No one can light a candle sliced into a million slices, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

So just cut one candle into a million slices & light them.

Tried that, it didnt work, couldn't light them, stupid.

Sorry to hear you were too stupid to light them.

No one can light a candle sliced into a million slices, ****wit.

Of course they can, fool. It needs to be 1km long per mm of slice, so a 10km candle should work fine.
Of course everyone except you got that it was humour.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 19:38:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

So just cut one candle into a million slices & light them.

Tried that, it didn¢t work, couldn't light them, stupid.

Sorry to hear you were too stupid to light them.

No one can light a candle sliced into a million slices, ****wit.

You just said you did, you clinically insane bigmouth!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

So just cut one candle into a million slices & light them.

Tried that, it didnt work, couldn't light them, stupid.

Sorry to hear you were too stupid to light them.

No one can light a candle sliced into a million slices, ****wit.

Of course they can, fool. It needs to be 1km long per
mm of slice, so a 10km candle should work fine.

Nope, still not possible to light 1M slices before some have gone out,
****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Does it have the power of a million candles?

Hard to say, I've never managed to light 1M candles
and have them all burning at once and with the fat
ones, they are a bit more spread out than that torch.

So just cut one candle into a million slices & light them.

Tried that, it didnt work, couldn't light them, stupid.

Sorry to hear you were too stupid to light them.

No one can light a candle sliced into a million slices, ****wit.

Of course they can, fool. It needs to be 1km long per
mm of slice, so a 10km candle should work fine.

Nope, still not possible to light 1M slices before some have gone out,
****wit.

not possible for your brain to work out how anyway.
Plonk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 05:40:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sorry to hear you were too stupid to light them.

No one can light a candle sliced into a million slices, ****wit.

Of course they can, fool. It needs to be 1km long per
mm of slice, so a 10km candle should work fine.

Nope, still not possible to light 1M slices before some have gone out,
****wit.

The lights in your 85-year-old senile head obviously went out already a long
time ago, you senile pest!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Roger Mills wrote:

Is there any fix other than replacing the battery?

Given that a new battery (assuming NP4-6 type) is around £10 +/-2, is
it worth worrying?

You would, IMHO, be better of just buying

https://www.toolstation.com/nightsea...p-torch/p21740

instead of a new battery.

I bought one on Adam's recommendation and it's still fine after 3 years.
I use it for all sorts including hunting through my heaps of toolsÂ* in
the unlit garage.

I once bought one for the gf as a Valentines Day present.

--

Adam

Building Regulations Spotlight installation Jquinn UK diy 0 November 30th 05 06:43 PM
Brinks Series 7105 photo eye spotlight fixture Jay Britton Electronics Repair 0 September 4th 05 02:35 AM
US Flag spotlight Matt Home Repair 10 May 23rd 05 02:16 AM
Spotlight bulbs: R63 100W? Bert Coules UK diy 0 May 17th 05 01:54 PM
Spotlight advice (HTML post) Reckless UK diy 17 April 25th 05 11:51 AM