Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hall Marks

Hi All,

I have a prayer book which has a silver cross on the front which I believe belonged to my grandma (whose name was Hall 11::^*))

Ive uploaded the hallmark here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...%2031.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

Id be particulars interested in Year.

Cheers

TIA

Best regards

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:07:15 -0700, cpvh wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...-2019%2C%2005%

2056%2031.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

W&S is the makers mark a quick google doesnt reveal it, though further
searching may get it.
r the year, 1872, 1912 or 1932, I cant see it very well.
Lion = Sterling silver
Leopard head - = london Assay office , they tested/stamped it.

Look it up, there are loads of pages where you can look yourself:
http://www.silvercollection.it/engli...hallmarks.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

cpvh wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...-2019%2C%2005%

2056%2031.jpg?dl=0

W&S is the makers mark a quick google doesnt reveal it, though further
searching may get it.

CW&S = Charles Westwood & Sons ?

r the year, 1872, 1912 or 1932, I cant see it very well.
Lion = Sterling silver
Leopard head - = london Assay office , they tested/stamped it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 17:07, wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...%2031.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

Id be particulars interested in Year.

The photo is very indistinct but the first cartouche is the maker (too
blurry), the second is the date letter (1916), the third signifies 925
sterling silver and the last is the assay office (too blurry).

Others may be more expert.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 17:07, wrote:
Hi All,

I have a prayer book which has a silver cross on the front which I believe belonged to my grandma (whose name was Hall 11::^*))

Ive uploaded the hallmark here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...%2031.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

Id be particulars interested in Year.

Curious and drinking tea at my desk I found you can look up the marks he
https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk
But it's hard to tell from your image. Looked like London, there were a
number of W&S makers.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 17:31, Another Dave wrote:

The photo is very indistinct but the first cartouche is the maker (too
blurry), the second is the date letter (1916), the third signifies 925
sterling silver and the last is the assay office (too blurry).

Sorry, 1912 not 1916.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 17:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Alan wrote:

cpvh wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...-2019%2C%2005%

2056%2031.jpg?dl=0

W&S is the makers mark a quick google doesnt reveal it, though further
searching may get it.

Â*CW&S = Charles Westwood & Sons ?

Looks like CW&SNS (last two underlined) to me, which would be C Widmer &
Sons. That mark was used 1904-1912. The date letter is r in a squarish
shield with three indents in the bottom, which matches 1912.

r the year, 1872, 1912 or 1932, I cant see it very well.
Lion = Sterling silver
Leopard head - = london Assay office , they tested/stamped it

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you all very much.

I should have said, I did try to DIY it (look myself), but gave up when there were multiple dates for r.

1912 would certainly fit with it having been grandmas.

Cheers

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 19:44:56 +0100
Nightjar wrote:

Looks like CW&SNS (last two underlined) to me, which would be C
Widmer & Sons.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks guys!

As usual, I wouldve had to have researched a VERY
long time to work this out from first principles.

Cheers

Chris

Personalised hall marks Heather Coleman Metalworking 6 August 27th 04 07:16 AM
Strange marks on wall james Mc UK diy 2 August 1st 03 11:29 PM
Plaster marks james Mc UK diy 3 July 29th 03 12:59 PM
Varnished Floor Brush Marks Bob UK diy 9 July 22nd 03 03:45 PM