DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hall Marks (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/634843-hall-marks.html)

[email protected] April 17th 19 05:07 PM

Hall Marks

Hi All,

I have a prayer book which has a silver cross on the front which I believe belonged to my grandma (whose name was Hall 11::^*))

Ive uploaded the hallmark here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...%2031.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

Id be particulars interested in Year.

Cheers

TIA

Best regards

Chris

Alan[_21_] April 17th 19 05:28 PM

Hall Marks

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:07:15 -0700, cpvh wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...-2019%2C%2005%

2056%2031.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

W&S is the makers mark a quick google doesnt reveal it, though further
searching may get it.
r the year, 1872, 1912 or 1932, I cant see it very well.
Lion = Sterling silver
Leopard head - = london Assay office , they tested/stamped it.

Look it up, there are loads of pages where you can look yourself:
http://www.silvercollection.it/engli...hallmarks.html

Andy Burns[_13_] April 17th 19 05:31 PM

Hall Marks

Alan wrote:

cpvh wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...-2019%2C%2005%

2056%2031.jpg?dl=0

W&S is the makers mark a quick google doesnt reveal it, though further
searching may get it.

CW&S = Charles Westwood & Sons ?

Another Dave April 17th 19 05:31 PM

Hall Marks

On 17/04/2019 17:07, wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...%2031.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

Id be particulars interested in Year.

The photo is very indistinct but the first cartouche is the maker (too
blurry), the second is the date letter (1916), the third signifies 925
sterling silver and the last is the assay office (too blurry).

Others may be more expert.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

TimW April 17th 19 05:32 PM

Hall Marks

On 17/04/2019 17:07, wrote:
Hi All,

I have a prayer book which has a silver cross on the front which I believe belonged to my grandma (whose name was Hall 11::^*))

Ive uploaded the hallmark here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...%2031.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

Id be particulars interested in Year.

Curious and drinking tea at my desk I found you can look up the marks he
https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk
But it's hard to tell from your image. Looked like London, there were a
number of W&S makers.

TW

Another Dave April 17th 19 05:37 PM

Hall Marks

On 17/04/2019 17:31, Another Dave wrote:

The photo is very indistinct but the first cartouche is the maker (too
blurry), the second is the date letter (1916), the third signifies 925
sterling silver and the last is the assay office (too blurry).

Sorry, 1912 not 1916.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Nightjar April 17th 19 07:44 PM

Hall Marks

On 17/04/2019 17:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Alan wrote:

cpvh wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mxmgt8r64...-2019%2C%2005%

2056%2031.jpg?dl=0

W&S is the makers mark a quick google doesnt reveal it, though further
searching may get it.

Â*CW&S = Charles Westwood & Sons ?

Looks like CW&SNS (last two underlined) to me, which would be C Widmer &
Sons. That mark was used 1904-1912. The date letter is r in a squarish
shield with three indents in the bottom, which matches 1912.

r the year, 1872, 1912 or 1932, I cant see it very well.
Lion = Sterling silver
Leopard head - = london Assay office , they tested/stamped it

Colin Bignell

[email protected] April 18th 19 09:16 AM

Hall Marks

Thank you all very much.

I should have said, I did try to DIY it (look myself), but gave up when there were multiple dates for r.

1912 would certainly fit with it having been grandmas.

Cheers

Chris

Nightjar April 18th 19 04:42 PM

Hall Marks

On 18/04/2019 09:16, wrote:
Thank you all very much.

I should have said, I did try to DIY it (look myself), but gave up when there were multiple dates for r.

You also need to look at the shape of the background it is on. In this
case, a square with the top corners cut off at an angle and three lobes
along the bottom. With a lower case r that shape was used in 1912 and in
1932. You then need to look at the font used. That was not entirely
clear from the picture, but, as the maker's mark was not used after
1912, that wasn't a problem.

Rob Morley April 18th 19 10:33 PM

Hall Marks

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 19:44:56 +0100
Nightjar wrote:

Looks like CW&SNS (last two underlined) to me, which would be C
Widmer & Sons.

+1

[email protected] April 19th 19 07:54 AM

Hall Marks

Thanks guys!

As usual, I wouldve had to have researched a VERY
long time to work this out from first principles.

Cheers

Chris