Old April 17th 19, 11:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for 30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 17th 19, 11:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for 30 or so, I've been trying to polish it
out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too deep.
I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used wet.
This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like frosted
glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a dremel-like tool,
using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum powder (how DIY can
you get!) followed by a further application of Brasso. The affected area
is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.

Old April 17th 19, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 11:38:32 +0100, NY wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.

And all that work will no doubt have altered the prescription of the lens.

--
Ermin
Old April 17th 19, 12:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Ermin" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt whether polishing off a few thousandths of an inch from the surface
of the lens which is probably a couple of millimetres thick will have
altered the focal length by a detectable amount. It may have taken off the
anti-glare coating, though...

Old April 17th 19, 12:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.

And all that work will no doubt have altered the prescription of the
lens.

You will have already stripped any anti-reflection coating- Throw them away
and buy some new ones.

Old April 17th 19, 12:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 12:02, DerbyBorn wrote:

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.

And all that work will no doubt have altered the prescription of the
lens.

You will have already stripped any anti-reflection coating- Throw them away
and buy some new ones.

They don't have an anti-glare coating!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old April 17th 19, 12:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 12:01:12 +0100, NY wrote:

And all that work will no doubt have altered the prescription of

the
lens.

I doubt whether polishing off a few thousandths of an inch from the
surface of the lens which is probably a couple of millimetres thick will
have altered the focal length by a detectable amount.

As they have been attacked witha bit of wet 'n dry and the scratches
from that polished out the amount removed may well be more than a few
thou. It's the refractive index of the material and shape of the
front and back surfaces along with the thickness that give a lens it
properties.

OP doesn't say if these are basic single vision with no other
corrections applied and both eyes more or less the same, made with
"normal" refractive index plastic or something more complicated. I
wouldn't like to say that few thou wouldn't make a difference with
high refractive index lens, it makes a heck of difference to the
required thickness of the lens for the same correction.

It may have taken off the anti-glare coating, though...

No may about it, assuming they had a coating in the first place, most
do these days though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old April 17th 19, 01:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 11:20, Roger Mills wrote:
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

One thing to watch, assuming it is a plastic lens, is if you use a
Dremel at too high speed or load the temperature rise can distort the
lens. You will only be able to tell when you try looking through it.

DAMHIK.

Old April 17th 19, 01:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 11:20, Roger Mills wrote:
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

I've had good results with Polywatch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/polyWatch-Scratch-Remover-Repair-Polish/dp/B00E3T237C

Works well on watch "glass" which I'd guess is similar to plastic
specacle lenses.

--
Reentrant
Old April 17th 19, 01:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 12:01:39 UTC+1, NY wrote:

I doubt whether polishing off a few thousandths of an inch from the surface
of the lens which is probably a couple of millimetres thick will have
altered the focal length by a detectable amount.

You've (rather admirably) used inconsistent units of measure - could we have
this expressed in linguini instead?
https://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html