DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/634833-polishing-blemishes-out-spectacle-lenses.html)

Roger Mills[_2_] April 17th 19 12:20 PM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?
--
Cheers,
Roger

NY April 17th 19 12:38 PM

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish it
out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too deep.
I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used wet.
This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like frosted
glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a dremel-like tool,
using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum powder (how DIY can
you get!) followed by a further application of Brasso. The affected area
is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.

Ermin[_2_] April 17th 19 12:51 PM

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 11:38:32 +0100, NY wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.

And all that work will no doubt have altered the prescription of the lens.

--
Ermin

NY April 17th 19 01:01 PM

"Ermin" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt whether polishing off a few thousandths of an inch from the surface
of the lens which is probably a couple of millimetres thick will have
altered the focal length by a detectable amount. It may have taken off the
anti-glare coating, though...

DerbyBorn[_5_] April 17th 19 01:02 PM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.

And all that work will no doubt have altered the prescription of the
lens.

You will have already stripped any anti-reflection coating- Throw them away
and buy some new ones.

Roger Mills[_2_] April 17th 19 01:32 PM

On 17/04/2019 12:02, DerbyBorn wrote:

Toothpaste? That often contains a very fine abrasive.

And all that work will no doubt have altered the prescription of the
lens.

You will have already stripped any anti-reflection coating- Throw them away
and buy some new ones.

They don't have an anti-glare coating!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Dave Liquorice[_2_] April 17th 19 01:38 PM

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 12:01:12 +0100, NY wrote:

And all that work will no doubt have altered the prescription of

the
lens.

I doubt whether polishing off a few thousandths of an inch from the
surface of the lens which is probably a couple of millimetres thick will
have altered the focal length by a detectable amount.

As they have been attacked witha bit of wet 'n dry and the scratches
from that polished out the amount removed may well be more than a few
thou. It's the refractive index of the material and shape of the
front and back surfaces along with the thickness that give a lens it
properties.

OP doesn't say if these are basic single vision with no other
corrections applied and both eyes more or less the same, made with
"normal" refractive index plastic or something more complicated. I
wouldn't like to say that few thou wouldn't make a difference with
high refractive index lens, it makes a heck of difference to the
required thickness of the lens for the same correction.

It may have taken off the anti-glare coating, though...

No may about it, assuming they had a coating in the first place, most
do these days though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

newshound April 17th 19 02:09 PM

On 17/04/2019 11:20, Roger Mills wrote:
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

One thing to watch, assuming it is a plastic lens, is if you use a
Dremel at too high speed or load the temperature rise can distort the
lens. You will only be able to tell when you try looking through it.

DAMHIK.

Reentrant[_11_] April 17th 19 02:10 PM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

On 17/04/2019 11:20, Roger Mills wrote:
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

I've had good results with Polywatch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/polyWatch-Scratch-Remover-Repair-Polish/dp/B00E3T237C

Works well on watch "glass" which I'd guess is similar to plastic
specacle lenses.

--
Reentrant

[email protected] April 17th 19 02:20 PM

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 12:01:39 UTC+1, NY wrote:

I doubt whether polishing off a few thousandths of an inch from the surface
of the lens which is probably a couple of millimetres thick will have
altered the focal length by a detectable amount.

You've (rather admirably) used inconsistent units of measure - could we have
this expressed in linguini instead?
https://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

Tim+[_5_] April 17th 19 02:28 PM

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 11:19:28 AM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Bin them. Optically you've probably ruined them already even if you polish the scratches out.

Tim

Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] April 17th 19 02:53 PM

Roger Mills wrote:
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

I always found that T-Cut (or some similar auto paint polisher) worked
well on scratched DVDs borrowed from a library.

R D S[_2_] April 17th 19 04:15 PM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

On 17/04/2019 11:20, Roger Mills wrote:

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so,

Single vision, or....?

I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

The affected area is still a bit blurry.

I doubt you'll get satisfactory results, but fair play if you do!

Roger Hayter[_2_] April 17th 19 07:16 PM

NY wrote:

[...]

Rouge is the classical stuff for mirrors. Not that I've ever polished
one.

--

Roger Hayter

Dave W[_2_] April 17th 19 10:53 PM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 11:20:32 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

I have polished plastics using your methods, also rouge is better than
Brasso or T-cut, but the surface ends up at a different curvature.
This will cause anything you see through that bit of the lens as
distorted instead of just obscured by the scratches.
--
Dave W

Roger Mills[_2_] April 18th 19 12:20 AM

On 17/04/2019 13:10, Reentrant wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That looks worth a try.

Meanwhile, I followed a suggestion here to use toothpaste. That got me
back to the frosted glass effect, but smoother than before. Further
applications of Brasso has now more or less restored the shine, and it's
very difficult to see the blemish - it certainly doesn't jump out at me
like it did before. When I look at my computer screen through the
blemished bit of the lens, text is not quite so sharp as when looking
through other parts of the lens - but it's still readable.

To answer a few other questions . . . It's a single vision lens -
more or less spherical, about 3.5 diopters with a tiny bit of
astigmatism correction. The lenses are NOT coated - Specsavers wanted a
lot extra for an anti-glare coating, and I didn't see the point.
--
Cheers,
Roger

DerbyBorn[_5_] April 18th 19 12:26 AM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

Poundland or Aldi for some new ones!

Brian Gaff April 18th 19 09:10 AM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

Plastic or glass?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

harry April 18th 19 09:12 AM

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 11:19:28 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have a
scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on one of
the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to polish
it out on a DIY basis.

I tried Brasso but didn't do a lot because the blemish was a bit too
deep. I then rubbed the area very gently with very fine wet & dry, used
wet. This got rid of the scratches, but left the area looking like
frosted glass. I've improved it quite a lot by buffing it with a
dremel-like tool, using a buffing paste made from olive oil and talcum
powder (how DIY can you get!) followed by a further application of
Brasso. The affected area is still a bit blurry.

Any ideas of what else to try?

The"proper"stuff to use is"jeweller's rouge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132360934221?chn=ps

Ultra fine abrasive. Used on watch glasses.

Brian Gaff April 18th 19 09:12 AM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

Given they are mostly plastic, then perspex polish is an idea. you used to
be able to get it in tubes.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
o.uk...

Rod Speed April 18th 19 11:19 AM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

Brian Gaff wrote

Plastic or glass?

Very unlikely to be glass anymore.

Peeler[_3_] April 18th 19 11:28 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 19:19:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Plastic or glass?

Very unlikely to be glass anymore.

You LOVE auto-contradicting, eh, senile Rodent? No wonder you got nobody in
real life to talk to! BG

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

R D S[_2_] April 18th 19 12:14 PM

On 18/04/2019 10:28, Peeler wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 19:19:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Plastic or glass?

Very unlikely to be glass anymore.

You LOVE auto-contradicting, eh, senile Rodent? No wonder you got nobody in
real life to talk to! BG

To be fair he is correct.

Roger Mills[_2_] April 18th 19 02:40 PM

Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

On 18/04/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
Plastic or glass?
Brian

Plastic, as per my OP.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Roger Mills[_2_] April 18th 19 02:42 PM

On 17/04/2019 23:26, DerbyBorn wrote:
Poundland or Aldi for some new ones!

Sadly no. The prescription is different for my two eyes, and the other
eye needs much more astigmatism correction which you won't find in
off-the-shelf glasses.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Peeler[_3_] April 18th 19 04:48 PM

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 11:14:11 +0100, R D S wrote:

Plastic or glass?

Very unlikely to be glass anymore.

You LOVE auto-contradicting, eh, senile Rodent? No wonder you got nobody in
real life to talk to! BG

To be fair he is correct.

That was only an irrelevant "by-product". He simply wanted to auto-contradict again. ;-)

Johnny B Good April 18th 19 04:49 PM

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 13:09:47 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

Yeah, YJD... :-)

That's *not* the bad news when using a high speed polisher on *plastic*
lenses. The bad news is the localised surface melting from the use of
such high speed polishing efforts. Even over-vigorous manual application
of a polishing rag can melt the surface, completely defeating the whole
polishing enterprise (i.e. damaging the surface beyond any such
redemption).

Plastic surfaces can be polished successfully but it is fraught with
this low temperature melting issue that simply doesn't exist with
traditional materials such as glass and most metals in common use.

Whilst the polishing technique is basically the same for plastics and
traditional materials, you have to keep the very low melting points of
most plastics in mind and dial back the polishing effort somewhat
compared to what you may be used to using with glass and metals.

--
Johnny B Good

R D S[_2_] April 18th 19 04:58 PM

On 18/04/2019 15:48, Peeler wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 11:14:11 +0100, R D S wrote:

Plastic or glass?

Very unlikely to be glass anymore.

You LOVE auto-contradicting, eh, senile Rodent? No wonder you got nobody in
real life to talk to! BG

To be fair he is correct.

That was only an irrelevant "by-product". He simply wanted to auto-contradict again. ;-)

Let him have his moment though!

Like a stopped clock, twice per day.....

Johnny B Good April 18th 19 05:54 PM

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 22:26:48 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Poundland or Aldi for some new ones!

They go as high as +3.5 dioptres which should suit the OP although the
quality can leave a little to be desired. I know because I was trying to
find a cheap pair with a dioptre strength beyond this limit to let me get
a real close up view of microscopic SMD components. Strangely, none of
the usual places selling 'cheap reading glasses' had anything stronger. :-
(

I also have a problem trying to find anything weaker than 'strength
+1.0' to give me something better optimised for use with my desktop
computer monitor. I reckon, mild astigmatism allowing, that a dioptre
strength of +0.5 to +0.75 would be about as good as it gets for me.

I'm mildly short sighted so have been taking advantage of this for close
viewing simply by removing my distance vision spectacles but, at 69 yo,
my residual power of accommodation no longer has enough reserve to both
accommodate shorter viewing distances *and* apply a modicum of astigmatic
correction.

The effort to focus on the screen varies throughout the day and, as it
happens (mid afternoon), I'm having little difficulty right now in seeing
my computer screen sufficiently well enough to distinguish between a
colon and a semi-colon (viewing distance of 60 to 70 cms from a 23 inch
1920 by 1080 pixel monitor).

A suitable pair of cheap reading glasses would be very useful at times
when my visual cortex (perhaps more accurately described as a virtual
reality suite) is not at its peak performance during late evening and
early morning times. A cheap pair of basic reading glasses of suitable
power would off-load the focussing task to free up my accommodating power
to concentrate on the task of astigmatic correction during such periods.

These days, the trick of removing my distance vision glasses to read the
fine print that negates what the large print promises on the packaging of
any merchandise I'm checking out when shopping, doesn't work quite as
well as it used to do just a seemingly very few years ago. :-(

--
Johnny B Good

Johnny B Good April 18th 19 06:12 PM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 11:14:11 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 18/04/2019 10:28, Peeler wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 19:19:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Plastic or glass?

Very unlikely to be glass anymore.

You LOVE auto-contradicting, eh, senile Rodent? No wonder you got
nobody in real life to talk to! BG

To be fair he is correct.

True enough and even if it's actual glass, there'll most likely be the
issue of an anti-reflective coating to contend with. If such a coating
exists, this too will also have to be polished away from most of the
whole lens surface as well to produce an acceptable result.

The thirty quid for a prescription set of reading glasses seems cheap
considering the effort required to get what might be, at best, a rather
poor result.

If the Poundland or Home & Bargain offerings don't appeal, there are
better quality "Reading Glasses" available at ten times the price by way
of a compromise in cost. I can't recall the brand but they were on sale
in the post office section of our local WH Smith and seemed better
quality (if a little overpriced IMHO - they still didn't offer weaker
than +1.25 or stronger than +3.5 dioptre strengths though - probably why
I thought them overpriced).

--
Johnny B Good

Rob Morley April 18th 19 08:23 PM

Roger Mills wrote:

The prescription specs which I use for computer-based activities have
a scuff mark about the size a finger-print from a little finger on
one of the (plastic) lenses.

Whilst I could buy a new lens for £30 or so, I've been trying to
polish it out on a DIY basis.

I found jeweller's rouge very effective at taking the scuffs out of my
favourite sunglasses where they had fallen out of their case and slid
around in the glove-box.