Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spectacle lens cleaning fluid - cheaper version?

I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

--
Phil Addison
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2013 13:47, Phil Addison wrote:
I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

--
Phil Addison

I use two things:

Lidl sachet glasses wipes - very convenient when out and about
Washing up liquid and hot water

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My optician (who sells an unbranded version of the Boots spray) recommended
refilling the bottle once empty with meths. I tried it and it worked well,
though you might want to give the smell a second or two to disappear before
you put the glases back on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2013 13:49, polygonum wrote:
On 10/04/2013 13:47, Phil Addison wrote:
I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle)
for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this
and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe
with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water
method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

I use two things:

Lidl sachet glasses wipes - very convenient when out and about
Washing up liquid and hot water

I just wash mine with soap and water in the shower as required; shake
the drops off and as they are warm, by the time I've got out and
dressed, they are 100% dry and smear-free.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:04:52 PM UTC+1, Lobster wrote:

I just wash mine with soap and water in the shower as required; shake

the drops off and as they are warm, by the time I've got out and

dressed, they are 100% dry and smear-free.

So that's what you do with your testicals but what about your lenses ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison
wrote:

I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

£shop had some in once. About a gallon of liquid in each sachet.
But just get a good quality lens cleaning cloth and carry that about
instead.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water
method every day.

Well each to there own but I use detergent and running water. Soap I find
doesn't clean as well and tends to smear on drying the lenes on a bit of
kitchen roll.

I don't like dedicated cleaning cloths or limited quantities of cleaning
fluid. Both increase the rate at which scratches appear or the coating
wears off as the micro dirt isn't lifted well clear and flushed away.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle)
for Boots "Spectacle lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper
anywhere. What's in this and is there a cheaper version? I like the
convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of spray bottle
and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...pectacle-Lens-

Cleaner-120ml-_1132029/

I use Solution 30 (aerosol). 400ml for £4.49 from Chemist Direct (they
have a carriage charge but I buy a lot of stuff from them).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:42:19 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water
method every day.

Well each to there own but I use detergent and running water. Soap I
find doesn't clean as well and tends to smear on drying the lenes on a
bit of kitchen roll.

I don't like dedicated cleaning cloths or limited quantities of cleaning
fluid. Both increase the rate at which scratches appear or the coating
wears off as the micro dirt isn't lifted well clear and flushed away.

I also use one drop of detergent in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2013 15:02, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:42:19 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water
method every day.

Well each to there own but I use detergent and running water. Soap I
find doesn't clean as well and tends to smear on drying the lenes on a
bit of kitchen roll.

I don't like dedicated cleaning cloths or limited quantities of cleaning
fluid. Both increase the rate at which scratches appear or the coating
wears off as the micro dirt isn't lifted well clear and flushed away.

I also use one drop of detergent in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Isopropyl Alcohol from Maplins. 400 ml for a tenner. I think Wilkos used
to do it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 2:42*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

Well each to there own but I use detergent and running water. Soap I find
doesn't clean as well and tends to smear on drying the lenes on a bit of
kitchen roll.

My optician says paper scratches the lenses, apparently you should use
a microfibre cloth or lint-free cotton.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

Well each to there own but I use detergent and running water. Soap I find
doesn't clean as well and tends to smear on drying the lenes on a bit of
kitchen roll.

My optician says paper scratches the lenses, apparently you should use
a microfibre cloth or lint-free cotton.

+1.

Paper, even tissue paper, is more abrasive than you might think. Kitchen
roll is abrasive enough to clean grease off a pan if used right. I'd not
let it anywhere near any form of lens, never mind coated or plastic ones.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:42:19 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of

spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water

method every day.

Well each to there own but I use detergent and running water.

Where does yuor water run from, after looking at the state of my old kettle I'd use deionised or distilled water.

Soap I find

doesn't clean as well and tends to smear on drying the lenes on a bit of

kitchen roll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:10:09 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Paper, even tissue paper, is more abrasive than you might think.
Kitchen roll is abrasive enough to clean grease off a pan if used
right. I'd not let it anywhere near any form of lens, never mind coated
or plastic ones.

My nose tells me otherwise. When I have a cold I use kitchen roll in
preference to any tissue, paper handkerchief or loo roll. Use any of the
latter I get a snore nose very quickly, use the former I don't.

This is cheap, plain, "value", supermarket kitchen roll. Not the fancy
stuff promoted by elephants or able to absorb 20 litres of water per
sheet and fall apart.

The problem with reusing a cloth is that it retains the grit from the
last cleaning and the cleaning before etc etc. OK if you throughly wash
it after every cleaning it might be OK but who does...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

Well each to there own but I use detergent and running water. Soap I find
doesn't clean as well and tends to smear on drying the lenes on a bit of
kitchen roll.

My optician says paper scratches the lenses, apparently you should use
a microfibre cloth or lint-free cotton.

+1.

Paper, even tissue paper, is more abrasive than you might think. Kitchen
roll is abrasive enough to clean grease off a pan if used right. I'd not
let it anywhere near any form of lens, never mind coated or plastic ones.

Am I the only one to use spit & shirt tail?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 08:33:16 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave wrote:

Where does yuor water run from, ...

The tap.

... after looking at the state of my old kettle I'd use deionised or
distilled water.

Haven't had to descale the kettle since they swapped the source of our
water from a local adit (in limestone) to Burnhope Reservoir quite a few
years ago.

Even from the adit it wasn't really hard, kettle descale every 3 or 4
months. It was also nice clean white scale not the various greens, blues
and whites that we had in St Albans and descaling every month...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:47:19 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle)
for Boots "Spectacle lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper
anywhere. What's in this and is there a cheaper version? I like the
convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of spray bottle
and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...pectacle-Lens-

Cleaner-120ml-_1132029/

I use Solution 30 (aerosol). 400ml for £4.49 from Chemist Direct (they
have a carriage charge but I buy a lot of stuff from them).

Aldi sell a box containing 50 wipes for a quid.
Washing up liquid contains salt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2013 13:47, Phil Addison wrote:
I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

--
Phil Addison

A previous optician of ours gave us this tip:

Open the dishwasher door when the dishwasher has just finished its
cycle, and hold your specs in the steam. Then wipe them with a soft cloth.

Never fails!

When it's inconvenient to carry a dishwasher around with us, we use the
little packets of spectacle wipes available from the likes of Lidl and Aldi.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I also use one drop of detergent in the ultrasonic cleaner.

That was what started my anti-scratch/reflective coating coming loose :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil Addison writes:
I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

Costco sell a twin pack of two large bottles (probably each one is 10 times
the size of the optician ones) for something like £10 from their optician
counter. I get it for my parents (or I did once - it's never run out since).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:20:51 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison writes:
I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

Costco sell a twin pack of two large bottles (probably each one is 10 times
the size of the optician ones) for something like £10 from their optician
counter. I get it for my parents (or I did once - it's never run out since).

My wife took one of those to the school office where she works. She
successfully hid it for a couple of weeks until someone caught her
using it, Since then it has cleaned a volume of glasses, the
photocopier, umpteen monitors and keyboards. Still got plenty left in
it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:50:16 +0100, Ericp
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:20:51 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison writes:
I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

Costco sell a twin pack of two large bottles (probably each one is 10 times
the size of the optician ones) for something like £10 from their optician
counter. I get it for my parents (or I did once - it's never run out since).

My wife took one of those to the school office where she works. She
successfully hid it for a couple of weeks until someone caught her
using it,

Up until this point I thought the punch line was going to be COSHH
related.

Since then it has cleaned a volume of glasses, the
photocopier, umpteen monitors and keyboards. Still got plenty left in
it.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:55:01 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Isopropyl Alcohol from Maplins. 400 ml for a tenner. I think Wilkos used
to do it

Fairly expensive that. You can get 5ltrs for £18 -£20 from many
chemical suppliers some including delivery.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil Addison
writes
I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle)
for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this
and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe
with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water
method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...ns-Cleaner-120
ml-_1132029/

Get yourself down to Costco or wherever else sells micropore cloths

You don't need fancy fluids, if the lenses are really dirty, a little
bit of gob for lubrication will help

For cleaning off all the verdigris etc, I use a £20 ultrasonic cleaner
every year or so

email me your address, I'll send you a micropore cloth

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Isopropyl Alcohol from Maplins. 400 ml for a tenner. I think Wilkos used
to do it

Fairly expensive that. You can get 5ltrs for £18 -£20 from many chemical
suppliers some including delivery.

G.Harman

And a litre for £8.41, free delivery, from CPC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:15:07 +0100, geoff wrote:

email me your address, I'll send you a micropore cloth

Complete with fermenting gob and ground in dirt, er... Thank you but no
thank you. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:15:07 +0100, geoff wrote:

email me your address, I'll send you a micropore cloth

Complete with fermenting gob and ground in dirt, er... Thank you but no
thank you. B-)

When you get 40 30 x 30cm square cloths for about a tenner, personally,
its not an issue for me

Not quite so sure where you get all that ground-in dirt on a pair of
lenses from ... perhaps best not to ask

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 17:08:55 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:10:09 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Paper, even tissue paper, is more abrasive than you might think.
Kitchen roll is abrasive enough to clean grease off a pan if used
right. I'd not let it anywhere near any form of lens, never mind coated
or plastic ones.

My nose tells me otherwise. When I have a cold I use kitchen roll in
preference to any tissue, paper handkerchief or loo roll. Use any of the
latter I get a snore nose very quickly, use the former I don't.

Isn't paper made of fibrous stuff though, eg wood?

This is cheap, plain, "value", supermarket kitchen roll. Not the fancy
stuff promoted by elephants or able to absorb 20 litres of water per
sheet and fall apart.

The problem with reusing a cloth is that it retains the grit from the
last cleaning and the cleaning before etc etc.

Good point

--
Phil Addison
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Ta but I'm ok for them. It looks like I now have an excuse to buy an ultrasonic cleaner
too.

--
Phil Addison

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:20:51 +0000 (UTC), (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison writes:
I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

Costco sell a twin pack of two large bottles (probably each one is 10 times
the size of the optician ones) for something like £10 from their optician
counter. I get it for my parents (or I did once - it's never run out since).

Looks a good deal; now I have a reason to sign up to costco.

Just check the ingredients of the Boots one: "Water, SAS-60 "Sodium C14-17 Alkyl
Sulfonate), Potassium Lauryl Phosphate". No idea what they are - except the water!

--
Phil Addison
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:03:30 +0100, "Bert Coules" wrote:

My optician (who sells an unbranded version of the Boots spray) recommended
refilling the bottle once empty with meths. I tried it and it worked well,
though you might want to give the smell a second or two to disappear before

I find meths leaves a sticky residue, wouldn't let it near mine.

--
Phil Addison
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I just wash mine with soap and water in the shower as required; shake
the drops off and as they are warm, by the time I've got out and
dressed, they are 100% dry and smear-free.

My optician is a young woman. She told me that she cleans her glasses by
washing them as she sits in the bath. Unfortunately I ejaculated in my
pants at that point.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Addison wrote:

Just check the ingredients of the Boots one: "Water, SAS-60 "Sodium C14-17 Alkyl
Sulfonate), Potassium Lauryl Phosphate". No idea what they are - except the water!

Detergents ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_...nzenesulfonate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_lauryl_sulfate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm fed up with paying £45.80 a litre (well £5.49 for a 120ml bottle) for Boots "Spectacle
lens cleaner" but can't find similar cheaper anywhere. What's in this and is there a
cheaper version? I like the convenience of the quick squirt and wipe with this sort of
spray bottle and don't really want to resort to the soap and water method every day.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharma...20ml-_1132029/

Shaving Gel (Gillette in my case), a small squirt rubbed in with the fingers,
rinsed off under a warm tap. No grease, no scratches and if the water is hot
enough, no need to even dry them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2013 01:59, Phil Addison wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:20:51 +0000 (UTC), (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison writes:
[...]

What's wrong with the 99p for 100ml ASDA one?
or just use asda glass and widow cleaner at £1 for 500ml if you can
stand the smell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2013 09:59, dennis@home wrote:

What's wrong with the 99p for 100ml ASDA one?
or just use asda glass and widow cleaner at £1 for 500ml if you can
stand the smell.

Specially for Victorian glass-sided hearses. Added formaldehyde to
ensure no embarrassing odours.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2013 04:38, Bill Wright wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I just wash mine with soap and water in the shower as required; shake
the drops off and as they are warm, by the time I've got out and
dressed, they are 100% dry and smear-free.

My optician is a young woman. She told me that she cleans her glasses by
washing them as she sits in the bath. Unfortunately I ejaculated in my
pants at that point.

Bill

well premature

Braun electric shaver cleaning fluid Chris UK diy 6 March 2nd 09 09:52 AM
Window-cleaning fluid Syke UK diy 7 January 18th 07 10:45 AM
Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Acetone??? davefr Metalworking 20 November 24th 04 03:28 AM
"Liquid Lens" fluid (ad on TV) does it work? Loren Coe Metalworking 12 January 9th 04 05:44 PM
lens fluid Al Electronics Repair 3 September 10th 03 05:32 AM