Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Silver soldering" aluminium

Anyone used these?

https://www.homiepie.co.uk/products/...27697480433738

I tried something similar a few years ago and didn't find it easy to get
a good result (and I am pretty experienced with silver soldering on
steel, copper, and copper alloys). That was with thinner rods though.
These are quite substantial (50 cm long, 1 cm dia).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2019 12:37, newshound wrote:
Anyone used these?

https://www.homiepie.co.uk/products/...27697480433738

I tried something similar a few years ago and didn't find it easy to get
a good result (and I am pretty experienced with silver soldering on
steel, copper, and copper alloys). That was with thinner rods though.
These are quite substantial (50 cm long, 1 cm dia).

I've soldered aluminium usimng carrs flux. Dont breathe it! Works well

Did a bit of oxy welding on it as a prentice. Hard work

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is a company called superior flux that sell aluminium flux cored solder wire that is based on either 99C or 96S solder which is 99% tin with 1% copper and 96% Tin with 4% silver respectively.

I have personally used these products to solder aluminium but you do need to also buy their aluminium cleaner and you need to solder at 300 degrees centigrade.

The fluxes are very corrosive so you will need to wear PPE and use the aluminium cleaner afterwards to clean off the corrosive flux residues.

Good luck and Ben Baskin at the website is very helpful.

Be aware that some aluminium grades will not solder at all.

The other alternative is to use zinc-tin solders but the solder is very prone to corrosion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/04/2019 12:37, newshound wrote:
Anyone used these?

https://www.homiepie.co.uk/products/...27697480433738

I tried something similar a few years ago and didn't find it easy to get
a good result (and I am pretty experienced with silver soldering on
steel, copper, and copper alloys). That was with thinner rods though.
These are quite substantial (50 cm long, 1 cm dia).

I've soldered aluminium usimng carrs flux. Dont breathe it! Works well

Carrs supply more than one type using a simple system of using a colour
reference and matching label according to the intended use. For Aluminium
a purchaser should get their grey label.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2019 21:18, Marland wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/04/2019 12:37, newshound wrote:
Anyone used these?

https://www.homiepie.co.uk/products/...27697480433738

I tried something similar a few years ago and didn't find it easy to get
a good result (and I am pretty experienced with silver soldering on
steel, copper, and copper alloys). That was with thinner rods though.
These are quite substantial (50 cm long, 1 cm dia).

I've soldered aluminium usimng carrs flux. Dont breathe it! Works well

Carrs supply more than one type using a simple system of using a colour
reference and matching label according to the intended use. For Aluminium
a purchaser should get their grey label.

I assumed UK.D-i-y readers would be intelligent enough to spot that.

My bad.

GH

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/04/2019 21:18, Marland wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/04/2019 12:37, newshound wrote:
Anyone used these?

https://www.homiepie.co.uk/products/...27697480433738

I tried something similar a few years ago and didn't find it easy to get
a good result (and I am pretty experienced with silver soldering on
steel, copper, and copper alloys). That was with thinner rods though.
These are quite substantial (50 cm long, 1 cm dia).

I've soldered aluminium usimng carrs flux. Dont breathe it! Works well

Carrs supply more than one type using a simple system of using a colour
reference and matching label according to the intended use. For Aluminium
a purchaser should get their grey label.

I assumed UK.D-i-y readers would be intelligent enough to spot that.

My bad.

You have to consider those who may eventually read it on Homeowners Hub or
DIY Banter.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have had success with 'Lumiweld'. No flux. Just scratch about in the solder pool with a stainless steel point to dislodge the oxide layer on the aluminiun