Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Side cutters

Have a favourite pair of 4.5" side cutters which I've had for decades.
Badged RS, and I've broken them.

They are just plain side cutters with the jaws at about 20-30 degrees
offset.

RS don't seem to do them anymore - and all the similar sized ones seem to
be 'designer' shaped. And with much chunkier insulated handles.

Don't mind paying Lindstrom prices if I can find something close.

--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

plain side cutters with the jaws at about 20-30 degrees
offset.

Offset to one side, or just bent forwards?

I've got a few cutters/strippers/pliers from this manufacturer, they're
more RS own-brand quality/price than Lindstrom

http://www.piergiacomi.com/piergiacomi/en/products/hand-tools/285-taglio-raso-dettaglio.html#TR25P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Have a favourite pair of 4.5" side cutters which I've had for decades.
Badged RS, and I've broken them.

They are just plain side cutters with the jaws at about 20-30 degrees
offset.

RS don't seem to do them anymore - and all the similar sized ones seem to
be 'designer' shaped. And with much chunkier insulated handles.

Don't mind paying Lindstrom prices if I can find something close.

The ones I bought to replace my similar old cheap side cutters came from
China via some other far eastern country (I remember asking about it at
the time) have been amazingly good.
They are labelled Plato Model 170 shears. I seem to remember that my
ebay supplier charged something like £2 with free postage. Today I can't
see any on ebay at that price, but at least a couple of "UK" suppliers
are under a fiver.
Maybe I was lucky with my example, but I have been using them solidly
for months now, and they are still smooth, sharp, tight and feel good.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
plain side cutters with the jaws at about 20-30 degrees
offset.

Offset to one side, or just bent forwards?

Did wonder if that would cause confusion. Bent forward probably describes
it best. So you can cut tight to a PCB etc. Many of the ones I've looked
at are 45 degrees or so. Maybe because the chunky handles need more
clearance.

--
*I'm not a paranoid, deranged millionaire. Dammit, I'm a billionaire.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
[...]

Odd. On your recommendation I just ordered a pair from China (via eBay) for
£1.89 (inc postage).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Tim+ writes
They are labelled Plato Model 170 shears. I seem to remember that my
ebay supplier charged something like £2 with free postage. Today I can't
see any on ebay at that price, but at least a couple of "UK" suppliers
are under a fiver.

Odd. On your recommendation I just ordered a pair from China (via eBay)
for £1.89 (inc postage).

I'd be really interested in what you think of them when they arrive and
you have stress tested them.
I just hope that mine weren't the one good pair.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
plain side cutters with the jaws at about 20-30 degrees
offset.

Offset to one side, or just bent forwards?

Did wonder if that would cause confusion. Bent forward probably describes
it best. So you can cut tight to a PCB etc. Many of the ones I've looked
at are 45 degrees or so. Maybe because the chunky handles need more
clearance.

Anything in the Xuron range suit ?
They have quite a good reputation in the US where they are manufactured but
do have UK stockists though not all hold the complete range.
This supplier appears to hold a selection
https://www.heamar.co.uk/34_xuron?gc...SAAEgLy3_D_BwE

GH