Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT brexit rally

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Surely not at your age? ;-)

Yes you do at any age you need ID (evenings anyway) even bloody
wetherspoons. A friend went a few weeks ago and he's 44 next month.

I'd certainly check the mental age of anyone wanting to use a
Weatherspoons.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 13:37:47 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Surely not at your age? ;-)

Yes you do at any age you need ID (evenings anyway) even bloody
wetherspoons. A friend went a few weeks ago and he's 44 next month.

I'd certainly check the mental age of anyone wanting to use a
Weatherspoons.

is that in the same way you'd check that someone wasn't a racist before letting them vote, yes I know it was T i m s 'bright' idea for a peoples vote.

But it was in islington, perhaps you believe that those on minium wage could afford to eat somewhere else in that borough.

Reminds me of the time when someone pointed out to the staff in our college social club that their sausage rolls were more expensive than those in Harrods.

I've only been in Harrods once didnlt like it at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Yes you do at any age you need ID (evenings anyway) even bloody
wetherspoons. A friend went a few weeks ago and he's 44 next month.

I'd certainly check the mental age of anyone wanting to use a
Weatherspoons.

is that in the same way you'd check that someone wasn't a racist before
letting them vote, yes I know it was T i m s 'bright' idea for a
peoples vote.

Glad to know you think a Weatherspoons the best pub around.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 April 2019 14:57:58 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Yes you do at any age you need ID (evenings anyway) even bloody
wetherspoons. A friend went a few weeks ago and he's 44 next month.

I'd certainly check the mental age of anyone wanting to use a
Weatherspoons.

is that in the same way you'd check that someone wasn't a racist before
letting them vote, yes I know it was T i m s 'bright' idea for a
peoples vote.

Glad to know you think a Weatherspoons the best pub around.

I don't but it does depend on where you are and your expectations,
I don't think 'Weatherspoons' are the worst, I've been in some bad pubs
far worse than 'Weatherspoons'.

Interesting way you've spelt it though, was that delibrate ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Yes you do at any age you need ID (evenings anyway) even bloody
wetherspoons. A friend went a few weeks ago and he's 44 next month.

I'd certainly check the mental age of anyone wanting to use a
Weatherspoons.

is that in the same way you'd check that someone wasn't a racist before
letting them vote, yes I know it was T i m s 'bright' idea for a
peoples vote.

Glad to know you think a Weatherspoons the best pub around.

I don't but it does depend on where you are and your expectations,
I don't think 'Weatherspoons' are the worst, I've been in some bad pubs
far worse than 'Weatherspoons'.

surely it depends upon whether you rate a pub by the quality/choice of the
beer or the quality of the ambiance

The usual complaint of Spoons is that they are dull

but in some towns dull is good

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Yes you do at any age you need ID (evenings anyway) even bloody
wetherspoons. A friend went a few weeks ago and he's 44 next month.

I'd certainly check the mental age of anyone wanting to use a
Weatherspoons.

is that in the same way you'd check that someone wasn't a racist before
letting them vote, yes I know it was T i m s 'bright' idea for a
peoples vote.

Glad to know you think a Weatherspoons the best pub around.

I don't but it does depend on where you are and your expectations,
I don't think 'Weatherspoons' are the worst, I've been in some bad pubs
far worse than 'Weatherspoons'.

surely it depends upon whether you rate a pub by the quality/choice of the
beer or the quality of the ambiance

That varies. If someone arranges a birthday drink (the last one there was ~15 of us) it usually depends on who's organising it, sometimes it depends on the music sometimes the beer, ambience only matters if there's just a few going.
It can also depend on food. A few times we've gone to a pub because it had a mobile pizza 'hut' outside, but it became so popular that there was an hours wait.
But most of the time I go to a pub it's because of the music venue side, a pub in city road with it's plastic classes and crap beer I don't even buy any drinks in there especailly at £5 or more a pint!, a friend smuggles his own bottles in.

The usual complaint of Spoons is that they are dull

If you go to a pub top chat then that is finme with me, I don't always want loud music, especailly if it's music I don't really like.

but in some towns dull is good

There;s a pub near me called the village used to go there regually the closet gay landlord and his wife were miserable *******s but he knew how to keep the pipes clean and how to store and serve real ale. When he left some bright yuong things took over the beer was terrible a couple of us were sick a few hours later, and we haventl been back since.
But the barmaids were much prettier now so if you go for that .... then it's the village walthamstow is the place to be.
They have even been on TV.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I have to say that (unless it's a live band that I want to see) I would
always choose a pub with a compete absence of music/TV, so that aspect is
always a plus for Spoons..

but even within that criteria there are usually "nicer" pubs than a Spoons
to go to.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I have to say that (unless it's a live band that I want to see) I would
always choose a pub with a compete absence of music/TV, so that aspect
is always a plus for Spoons..

but even within that criteria there are usually "nicer" pubs than a
Spoons to go to.

I certainly dislike muzak. Even more as I get older. More difficult to
hear in a group.

Some do like to watch a footie match etc in a pub. That is their choice.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 April 2019 12:46:37 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

The usual complaint of Spoons is that they are dull

If you go to a pub top chat then that is finme with me, I don't always
want loud music, especailly if it's music I don't really like.

I have to say that (unless it's a live band that I want to see) I would
always choose a pub with a compete absence of music/TV, so that aspect is
always a plus for Spoons..

That is true, but I feel more strongly about avioding sports bars
with big screen sky sports advertised.

but even within that criteria there are usually "nicer" pubs than a Spoons
to go to.

Depending on where you are but spoons pubs being cheap are an advantage otherwise islington it's £5.50 a pint of carlsberg or bub. I'd pay a fiver for staropramen and that was last year when I last went there.

And when aldi are doing 500ml of spitfire for £1.20 ..... and I can decide who I want to talk to and what I want to watch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 12:44:49 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

I have to say that (unless it's a live band that I want to see) I would
always choose a pub with a compete absence of music/TV, so that aspect is
always a plus for Spoons..

I prefer pubs (cafe's / restaurants etc) that have people who realise
they are sitting next to / opposite each other when they talk and so
it doesn't have the sound levels of a jet taking off. ;-(

Cheers, T i m