Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar power setup suitable for charging batteries

OK, I've taken on board the responses to my other question and I'm
persuaded that solar would be more suitable for my needs than windpower,
even here on Lewis where this afternoon (when it wasn't especially windy
for this area) the wind at height 2m was averaging 23mph and gusting up
to 35mph.

What pieces of kit would I need for a small quick and dirty solar setup
suitable for charging AA, AAA, C and D-sized batteries?

I was thinking as follows:

* small solar panel, producing maybe 100W

* load going to 12V leisure battery and, when battery is fully charged,
to somewhere else, such as a bulb - with load directed by charge
controller

* from the battery, run either a 12V battery charger if I can find one or
an inverter with a 230V battery charger plugged into it

So this comes down to needing a solar panel, a battery, a charge
controller, some cable, and a circuit with a resistor (bulb) in it for
dumping unwanted charge.

Ideally I could fix the panel to a wooden frame containing a cupboard for
the battery (security isn't an issue here) and bulb and then run a cable
to inside the house where the batteries would be charged.

Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks!

Harry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote:
OK, I've taken on board the responses to my other question and I'm
persuaded that solar would be more suitable for my needs than windpower,
even here on Lewis where this afternoon (when it wasn't especially windy
for this area) the wind at height 2m was averaging 23mph and gusting up
to 35mph.

What pieces of kit would I need for a small quick and dirty solar setup
suitable for charging AA, AAA, C and D-sized batteries?

Look at a Maximum Power-Point Tracker (MPPT) device. They exist for 12V
lead acid and for lithium batteries:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPPT-Sola...l/153346140978

You could probably use an MPPT in CC-CV mode, like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-MPPT-S...T/323276739127

It depends whether you need to charge batteries when the sun isn't shining,
at which point you'd need the bigger battery to buffer the charge.
If so, an MPPT plus a 12V lead acid and a 12V NiMH charger would do it.

Don't run an inverter, it'll waste your energy.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
You could probably use an MPPT in CC-CV mode, like this one:

By which I mean, you set the constant voltage (CV) to be the fully-charged
voltage of your battery (about 1.55V for a single NiMH), and the
constant current (CC) to your desired charge current. The battery charges
in constant-current mode until it reaches the set voltage, when the current
tails off:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt468/slyt468.pdf

The modules have potentiometers to set these values - you'd have to
calibrate them with resistors as a dummy load.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 March 2019 17:04:36 UTC, Harold Davis wrote:

[...]

You're surely joking. What's needed is a small solar panel, nothing like 100w, and a diode. The diode prevents the panel flattening the cells at night. If the panel is sized large enough to exceed a wise charge current, add a shunt voltage regulator.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2019 21:42, wrote:
[...]

With something as unreliable as a solar panel you need a boost convertor
to get a sensible voltage out to charge things whenever there is some
light, just like an inverter for solar panels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 March 2019 21:57:34 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/03/2019 21:42, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

At the risk of stating the obvious, you only need a boost convertor if your panel is low enough voltage that you need a boost convertor. If you're charging 6v of rechargeables from a 12v panel a boost convertor is not needed. By the time its output drops to 6v it's not worth transforming anyway.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why would you want to dump unwanted charge?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harold Davis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not sure if they all do this, but one of mine has a kind of pulse mode
where it checks the battery every so often and keeps it topped up. I only
know as I had this weird interference on the radio which sounded like a Sick
ferret every few seconds! :-)

Brian

--
----- --

"Theo" wrote in message
Theo wrote:
You could probably use an MPPT in CC-CV mode, like this one:

By which I mean, you set the constant voltage (CV) to be the fully-charged
voltage of your battery (about 1.55V for a single NiMH), and the
constant current (CC) to your desired charge current. The battery charges
in constant-current mode until it reaches the set voltage, when the
current
tails off:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt468/slyt468.pdf

The modules have potentiometers to set these values - you'd have to
calibrate them with resistors as a dummy load.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2019 17:04, Harold Davis wrote:
OK, I've taken on board the responses to my other question and I'm
persuaded that solar would be more suitable for my needs than windpower,
even here on Lewis where this afternoon (when it wasn't especially windy
for this area) the wind at height 2m was averaging 23mph and gusting up
to 35mph.

What pieces of kit would I need for a small quick and dirty solar setup
suitable for charging AA, AAA, C and D-sized batteries?

Lets take a step back.

How many hundred of these batteries per day are you intending to charge?

D sized batteries are about 4.5Ah so to charge 4 of them at C/5 rate you
would need about 1A each and 1.5v which is a total of 6W for 5 hours.

AA batteries are around 2Ah which is about half that.

You can get cheap AA solar chargers that are intended for camping and
pretty much double their effectiveness with a couple of handbag mirrors
either side at 60 degrees \_/ pointed at the sun.

Or perhaps something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soluser-100.../dp/B07GWDTTB8

It really isn't clear what you are aiming to acheive!

I was thinking as follows:

* small solar panel, producing maybe 100W

* load going to 12V leisure battery and, when battery is fully charged,
to somewhere else, such as a bulb - with load directed by charge
controller

* from the battery, run either a 12V battery charger if I can find one or
an inverter with a 230V battery charger plugged into it

So this comes down to needing a solar panel, a battery, a charge
controller, some cable, and a circuit with a resistor (bulb) in it for
dumping unwanted charge.

Ideally I could fix the panel to a wooden frame containing a cupboard for
the battery (security isn't an issue here) and bulb and then run a cable
to inside the house where the batteries would be charged.

Is there anything else I would need?

You would be better off buying a 10-20W solar panel intended for
maintaining a car battery and a commercial battery charger intended for
plugging into a car cigarette lighter. Different chemistry batteries
need different charging regimes if they are to live a long and healthy
life. Certain Lithium types are inclined to catch fire if abused.

A small solar panel will not object to an open circuit load you don't
need to dump the power it generates anywhere.

A windmill you do or the rotor will spin too fast and out of control.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 March 2019 21:43:02 UTC, wrote:

You're surely joking. What's needed is a small solar panel, nothing like 100w, and a diode. The diode prevents the panel flattening the cells at night. If the panel is sized large enough to exceed a wise charge current, add a shunt voltage regulator.

Take care what type of diode - you need one that does not drop too much voltage in the forward dircetion. In general the leakage (in darkness) of a PV panel is very small. I lived on a boat for 10 years using solar panels for electric power and never needed a diode. I just had the PV panel connected directly (with a fuse) to the lead-acid accumulators.

I do agree that you need some kind of regulator (in my case it was me disconnecting the battery when fully charged). it is a bit easy to fully charge and then 'boil' (i.e. electrolyse) off the water if the battery is left on charge for long periods withjout being used.

I used several 100 W panels wired in parallel.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 March 2019 20:34:15 UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, 28 March 2019 21:43:02 UTC, tabby wrote:

You're surely joking. What's needed is a small solar panel, nothing like 100w, and a diode. The diode prevents the panel flattening the cells at night. If the panel is sized large enough to exceed a wise charge current, add a shunt voltage regulator.

Take care what type of diode - you need one that does not drop too much voltage in the forward dircetion. In general the leakage (in darkness) of a PV panel is very small. I lived on a boat for 10 years using solar panels for electric power and never needed a diode. I just had the PV panel connected directly (with a fuse) to the lead-acid accumulators.

For a serious solar install you'd use a schottky diode. For a small 12v panel charging some AAs it's pretty immaterial.

Panels with a diode built in won't drain your batteries. Panels without do, and need that external diode.

NT