Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Solar power setup suitable for charging batteries

Harold Davis wrote:
OK, I've taken on board the responses to my other question and I'm
persuaded that solar would be more suitable for my needs than windpower,
even here on Lewis where this afternoon (when it wasn't especially windy
for this area) the wind at height 2m was averaging 23mph and gusting up
to 35mph.

What pieces of kit would I need for a small quick and dirty solar setup
suitable for charging AA, AAA, C and D-sized batteries?

Look at a Maximum Power-Point Tracker (MPPT) device. They exist for 12V
lead acid and for lithium batteries:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPPT-Sola...l/153346140978

You could probably use an MPPT in CC-CV mode, like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-MPPT-S...T/323276739127

It depends whether you need to charge batteries when the sun isn't shining,
at which point you'd need the bigger battery to buffer the charge.
If so, an MPPT plus a 12V lead acid and a 12V NiMH charger would do it.

Don't run an inverter, it'll waste your energy.

Theo