Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar power setup suitable for charging batteries

OK, I've taken on board the responses to my other question and I'm
persuaded that solar would be more suitable for my needs than windpower,
even here on Lewis where this afternoon (when it wasn't especially windy
for this area) the wind at height 2m was averaging 23mph and gusting up
to 35mph.

What pieces of kit would I need for a small quick and dirty solar setup
suitable for charging AA, AAA, C and D-sized batteries?

I was thinking as follows:

* small solar panel, producing maybe 100W

* load going to 12V leisure battery and, when battery is fully charged,
to somewhere else, such as a bulb - with load directed by charge
controller

* from the battery, run either a 12V battery charger if I can find one or
an inverter with a 230V battery charger plugged into it

So this comes down to needing a solar panel, a battery, a charge
controller, some cable, and a circuit with a resistor (bulb) in it for
dumping unwanted charge.

Ideally I could fix the panel to a wooden frame containing a cupboard for
the battery (security isn't an issue here) and bulb and then run a cable
to inside the house where the batteries would be charged.

Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks!

Harry