Old March 17th 19, 10:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing insulated plasterboard to steel lintel

I need to affix some insulated plasterboard to the underside of an IG Extra Heavy Duty steel lintel:

https://iglintels.com/wp-content/upl...heavy_duty.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/lintel.jpg

My plan was to glue and screw it in place, using Fischer UX plugs into the aerated concrete blocks above. I therefore need to drill a few 6mm holes through the lintel and was wondering how easy this will be?

The main reason I ask is that I've always found drilling metal hard work, but then all my metal drill bits are those which either came with drills or assorted bit sets. I'm sure in both cases they're the cheapest of the cheap.

Ought something like this suffice?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-str...6-x-93mm/239fv

Any other tips?

Old March 17th 19, 11:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton Wrote in message:
I need to affix some insulated plasterboard to the underside of an IG Extra Heavy Duty steel lintel:

https://iglintels.com/wp-content/upl...heavy_duty.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/lintel.jpg

My plan was to glue and screw it in place, using Fischer UX plugs into the aerated concrete blocks above. I therefore need to drill a few 6mm holes through the lintel and was wondering how easy this will be?

The main reason I ask is that I've always found drilling metal hard work, but then all my metal drill bits are those which either came with drills or assorted bit sets. I'm sure in both cases they're the cheapest of the cheap.

Ought something like this suffice?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-str...6-x-93mm/239fv

Any other tips?

Can you not just screw it to the lintel?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old March 17th 19, 11:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 March 2019 10:00:21 UTC, JimK wrote:

Can you not just screw it to the lintel?

Do you mean with some self-tapping screws? I did consider that, and not sure why I moved to the plugs. I would presumably still require pilot holes?
Old March 17th 19, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 17 March 2019 10:00:21 UTC, JimK wrote:

Can you not just screw it to the lintel?

Do you mean with some self-tapping screws? I did consider that, and not sure why I moved to the plugs. I would presumably still require pilot holes?

But not 6mm! :-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old March 17th 19, 11:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/03/2019 09:46, Mathew Newton wrote:
I need to affix some insulated plasterboard to the underside of an IG Extra Heavy Duty steel lintel:

https://iglintels.com/wp-content/upl...heavy_duty.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/lintel.jpg

My plan was to glue and screw it in place, using Fischer UX plugs into the aerated concrete blocks above. I therefore need to drill a few 6mm holes through the lintel and was wondering how easy this will be?

The main reason I ask is that I've always found drilling metal hard work, but then all my metal drill bits are those which either came with drills or assorted bit sets. I'm sure in both cases they're the cheapest of the cheap.

Ought something like this suffice?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-str...6-x-93mm/239fv

Any other tips?

Is this all indoors, totally protected from rain/moisture?

Old March 17th 19, 12:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 17/03/2019 09:46, Mathew Newton wrote:
I need to affix some insulated plasterboard to the underside of an IG Extra Heavy Duty steel lintel:

https://iglintels.com/wp-content/upl...heavy_duty.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/lintel.jpg

My plan was to glue and screw it in place, using Fischer UX plugs into the aerated concrete blocks above. I therefore need to drill a few 6mm holes through the lintel and was wondering how easy this will be?

The main reason I ask is that I've always found drilling metal hard work, but then all my metal drill bits are those which either came with drills or assorted bit sets. I'm sure in both cases they're the cheapest of the cheap.

Ought something like this suffice?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-str...6-x-93mm/239fv

Any other tips?

Is this all indoors, totally protected from rain/moisture?

Plasterboard ?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old March 17th 19, 12:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2019 09:46, Mathew Newton wrote:
I need to affix some insulated plasterboard to the underside of an IG Extra Heavy Duty steel lintel:

https://iglintels.com/wp-content/upl...heavy_duty.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/lintel.jpg

My plan was to glue and screw it in place, using Fischer UX plugs into the aerated concrete blocks above. I therefore need to drill a few 6mm holes through the lintel and was wondering how easy this will be?

The main reason I ask is that I've always found drilling metal hard work, but then all my metal drill bits are those which either came with drills or assorted bit sets. I'm sure in both cases they're the cheapest of the cheap.

Ought something like this suffice?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-str...6-x-93mm/239fv

Any other tips?

In my limited experience, I'd glue it (with insulating foam maybe),
making sure it's properly supported while the glue goes off. Then
fix/glue the plasterboard over. I'm probably missing something, but it's
so lightweight . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Old March 17th 19, 12:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 March 2019 10:52:12 UTC, GB wrote:

Is this all indoors, totally protected from rain/moisture?

Yes; I'm just insulating the internal reveals.
Old March 17th 19, 01:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 March 2019 11:25:51 UTC, RJH wrote:
[...]

I must admit I am tempted. It never ceases to surprise me how effective adhesive can be, particularly when applied over large areas. I remember dismantling a conservatory and removing a ridge beam from a side wall - I was sure I'd got all the screws out but it just wasn't budging... It turns out a full length of silicone was still keeping it place.
Old March 17th 19, 02:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I would use dry wall adhesive or coving adhesive which is very similar, both will need some support initially. If you are plastering walls around the opening then you can apply plaster direct to the lintel just press the initial bonding coat into the gaps to maximise adhesion.

Richard