UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 14th 19, 08:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,428
Default led floodlight


I'm after a recommendation for a LED floodlight with inbuilt PIR BUT
with the additional override function - the type where the mains supply
to the light can be turned on-off-on within a short period so the the
light remains on until the mains is again turned off.

Friends have purchased two lights hoping they had this function but have
found that there is no override of the PIR timing function. 10W or 20W
will meet the requirement to light a maximum 10m area. Light pollion
for neighbours and passing planes will not be problem,


--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 14th 19, 10:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,964
Default led floodlight

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:01:49 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I'm after a recommendation for a LED floodlight with inbuilt PIR BUT
with the additional override function - the type where the mains supply
to the light can be turned on-off-on within a short period so the the
light remains on until the mains is again turned off.

Friends have purchased two lights hoping they had this function but have
found that there is no override of the PIR timing function. 10W or 20W
will meet the requirement to light a maximum 10m area. Light pollion
for neighbours and passing planes will not be problem,


For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single 2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
  #3   Report Post  
Old March 14th 19, 10:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,428
Default led floodlight

On 14/03/2019 22:00, PeterC wrote:


For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single 2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.


Not an ideal solution. This will be going into a freinds' rented
property where and changes to the electrics cannot be DIY. Changing the
external 500W halogen floodlight for a "like for like" 10/20W using the
existing wiring and external junction box may not be noticed

The problem with some LED/PIR units advertised with a manual override is
that the manual override consists of setting the timer control to
maximum making it a simple on/off operation by applying/removing the
mains voltage. What is required is a normal PIR operation that is easily
overridden sometimes.


--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
  #4   Report Post  
Old March 14th 19, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2016
Posts: 572
Default led floodlight

On 14/03/2019 22:15, alan_m wrote:
On 14/03/2019 22:00, PeterC wrote:


For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for
direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single
2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.


Not an ideal solution. This will be going into a freinds' rented
property where and changes to the electrics cannot be DIY. Changing the
external 500W halogen floodlight for a "like for like" 10/20W using the
existing wiring and external junction box may not be noticed

The problem with some LED/PIR units advertised with a manual override is
that the manual override consists of setting the timer control to
maximum making it a simple on/off operation by applying/removing the
mains voltage. What is required is a normal PIR operation that is easily
overridden sometimes.


I recently fitted one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTUSF10MCW.html

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by
the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).



--
Robin
reply-to address is (intended to be) valid
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 14th 19, 11:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2012
Posts: 373
Default led floodlight

On Thursday, 14 March 2019 22:54:24 UTC, Robin wrote:

I recently fitted one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTUSF10MCW.html

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by
the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).


Hi Robin,

I recently bought one of these (warm white instead of cool) however my remote needs pointing directly at the front of the light to operate it... It certainly wouldn't work from inside the house (yet I'd like it to!).

It sounds like your remote might a radio one? Mine definitely has an IR LED on the top of it. Here are some pics of my box and remote (labelled JIR2458) - is it the same as yours?

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/tlcledlightbox.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent...ightremote.jpg

It is only reading Alan's original post that has made me realise that without a remote that can function from inside I too won't have a manual override!


  #6   Report Post  
Old March 14th 19, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,871
Default led floodlight

On 14/03/2019 22:15, alan_m wrote:
On 14/03/2019 22:00, PeterC wrote:


For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for
direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single
2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.


Not an ideal solution. This will be going into a freinds' rented
property where and changes to the electrics cannot be DIY.


You are not making a new circuit, and even covering the same path as the
old cable. You are allowed to 'extend' circuits in your own home, or as
far as I know even a rented one.

I have often wondered if between tenants, as an owner occupier, you
could carry out work that would normally need a certificate!

  #7   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 01:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 32,153
Default led floodlight



"Robin" wrote in message
...
On 14/03/2019 22:15, alan_m wrote:
On 14/03/2019 22:00, PeterC wrote:


For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for
direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single
2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.


Not an ideal solution. This will be going into a freinds' rented property
where and changes to the electrics cannot be DIY. Changing the external
500W halogen floodlight for a "like for like" 10/20W using the existing
wiring and external junction box may not be noticed

The problem with some LED/PIR units advertised with a manual override is
that the manual override consists of setting the timer control to maximum
making it a simple on/off operation by applying/removing the mains
voltage. What is required is a normal PIR operation that is easily
overridden sometimes.


I recently fitted one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTUSF10MCW.html

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by
the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from inside
the house (which allows manual override).


Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

  #8   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 08:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,428
Default led floodlight

On 15/03/2019 01:23, Rod Speed wrote:


Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).


Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.


I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
  #9   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 08:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2012
Posts: 373
Default led floodlight

On Friday, 15 March 2019 08:33:02 UTC, alan_m wrote:

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.


Quite a few products do have that feature. It's why things that rarely fail in your home seem to suffer from all sorts of problems when installed into somewhere you are renting out... ;-)
  #10   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 08:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,495
Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:23:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by
the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from inside
the house (which allows manual override).


Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.


If someone wanted your opinion they would have rattled your cage, senile
bigmouth! tsk


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight? micky Home Repair 82 October 29th 14 04:04 PM
Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight? Mr. Man-wai Chang Electronics Repair 0 October 20th 14 12:00 PM
Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight? Dimitrij Klingbeil Electronics Repair 1 October 17th 14 01:07 AM
Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight? John Robertson Electronics Repair 4 October 16th 14 03:48 PM
LED,LED Lamp,LED Lights,LED Display,Automotive Lamp,LED Chip,LED Module [email protected] Electronics 0 December 4th 05 11:08 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017