Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silver-grey fence panels

This feels like a bit of a stupid question but as I'm not sure of the answer I'll ask anyway...

Is it possible to buy 'natural-looking' silver-grey fence panels that look similar to the following?

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/fencepanel.jpg

The reason I ask is that all the panels I'm seeing available have been treated with something that has quite a heavy pigment and, as such, quite often have a deep orange colour to them.

The panels above are ~12 years old and so I have no doubt that their silver-grey appearance will primarily be down to weathering, particularly UV-induced fading, but I am wondering if it is possible to get something at least close at the outset? I may need to replace a couple soon and I really don't want some bright orange affairs as they'll stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton Wrote in message:
This feels like a bit of a stupid question but as I'm not sure of the answer I'll ask anyway...

Is it possible to buy 'natural-looking' silver-grey fence panels that look similar to the following?

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/fencepanel.jpg

The reason I ask is that all the panels I'm seeing available have been treated with something that has quite a heavy pigment and, as such, quite often have a deep orange colour to them.

The panels above are ~12 years old and so I have no doubt that their silver-grey appearance will primarily be down to weathering, particularly UV-induced fading, but I am wondering if it is possible to get something at least close at the outset? I may need to replace a couple soon and I really don't want some bright orange affairs as they'll stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

ISTR caustic soda does this, neutralise with vinegar say?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 12:23, Mathew Newton wrote:
This feels like a bit of a stupid question but as I'm not sure of the
answer I'll ask anyway...

Is it possible to buy 'natural-looking' silver-grey fence panels that
look similar to the following?

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/fencepanel.jpg

The reason I ask is that all the panels I'm seeing available have
been treated with something that has quite a heavy pigment and, as
such, quite often have a deep orange colour to them.

The panels above are ~12 years old and so I have no doubt that their
silver-grey appearance will primarily be down to weathering,

Yup, they have the classic "left outside for years" kind of patina to
them. Not easy to create with new panels, and even if you could they
would then weather and end up looking different again.

particularly UV-induced fading, but I am wondering if it is possible
to get something at least close at the outset? I may need to replace
a couple soon and I really don't want some bright orange affairs as
they'll stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Either pic something different that contrasts with what is there, or
bite the bullet and replace them all. (if a couple are close to needing
replacement now, the rest may not be that far behind - especially with
the wind today!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

all the panels I'm seeing available have been treated with something
that has quite a heavy pigment and, as such, quite often have a deep
orange colour to them.

Just buy the panels that are light green pressure-treated, but without
any dip-treated stain, fit them and wait a year or two ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 13:17:38 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

(if a couple are close to needing
replacement now, the rest may not be that far behind - especially with
the wind today!)

It was today's weather that reminded me how much sway there is in that fence line and that it is only a matter of time before I'll have to sort it. It then dawned on me that actually the panels are probably okay; it's the posts that are likely rotting at the base (or the concreted hole is no longer holding) and so I should replace the posts and footings sooner rather than later - that might avoid the concerns over panel matching, at least for a few more years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cuprinol do a restorer that removes the grey surface, it is actually for timber furniture which will have a planed finish but might work on your panels.

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/g...e_restorer.jsp

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 12:36:32 UTC, JimK wrote:
[...]

Interesting, thanks.

Perhaps, as Andy suggested, I could go for the light-green pressure treated panels as they'd not be too offensive whilst they weather - I think in my eyes they'd just look 'new' rather than stained.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 13:38:38 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Cuprinol do a restorer that removes the grey surface, it is actually for timber furniture which will have a planed finish but might work on your panels.

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/g...e_restorer.jsp

Richard

It's the grey look I'm after ideally!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Sunday, 10 March 2019 13:38:38 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Cuprinol do a restorer that removes the grey surface, it is actually for timber furniture which will have a planed finish but might work on your panels.

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/g...e_restorer.jsp

Richard

It's the grey look I'm after ideally!

Find a manufacturer and ask them not to treat the panels you want to buy.
They will weather faster and last just as long as the treated ones.

They only rot if they are too thick to dry out occasionally.
The drying out kills the rot.

Failing that find some that use real creosote as that washes out quickly
and has no effect after about a year or two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

ISTR the green is these days just a dye to remind customers of the
old CCA preservative, the replacement for it is, I think,
colourless.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
have to sort it. It then dawned on me that actually the panels
are probably okay; it's the posts that are likely rotting at the
base (or the concreted hole is no longer holding) and so I should
replace the posts and footings sooner rather than later - that
might avoid the concerns over panel matching, at least for a few
more years.

I tried that a few years ago - except the panels had been dropped
into slots and then also nailed to the posts, and couldn't be
detached in anything approximating one piece.

#Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 21:32:04 UTC, wrote:

I tried that a few years ago - except the panels had been dropped
into slots and then also nailed to the posts, and couldn't be
detached in anything approximating one piece.

I've had a couple out previously and they too were nailed to the posts but I just cut through them with a hacksaw. I used fence clips to put them back so I should be able to avoid any further damage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 06:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Mathew Newton
wrote:

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 13:38:38 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Cuprinol do a restorer that removes the grey surface, it is actually for timber furniture which will have a planed finish but might work on your panels.

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/g...e_restorer.jsp

Richard

It's the grey look I'm after ideally!

I don't think you can buy panels that have been weathered as much as
yours. I suggest buying new panels coated in something you can paint
on the weathered ones to look similar.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 22:26:10 UTC, Dave W wrote:

It's the grey look I'm after ideally!

I don't think you can buy panels that have been weathered as much as
yours. I suggest buying new panels coated in something you can paint
on the weathered ones to look similar.

As I said it really is the natural grey look I'm after, and am not keen on applying anything that I may have to redo.

I think I could live with the temporary greenish tinge of tanalith and I'm sure I'd cope with leaving it to weather naturally after that. It really was the heavy orange colour that I kept seeing on most of the panels I came across.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 15:54:26 -0700 (PDT), Mathew Newton wrote:

I think I could live with the temporary greenish tinge of tanalith ...

Not sure that properly tanalised timber weathers grey. Our gates
haven't after well over ten years, they still have a weak greenish
tinge and definately aren't grey.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 15:54:26 -0700 (PDT), Mathew Newton wrote:

I think I could live with the temporary greenish tinge of tanalith ...

Not sure that properly tanalised timber weathers grey. Our gates
haven't after well over ten years, they still have a weak greenish
tinge and definately aren't grey.

I believe it does weather to grey by UV action. Do your gates get
any sun?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 10:57:20 +0000 (GMT+00:00), Jim K.. wrote:

Not sure that properly tanalised timber weathers grey. Our gates
haven't after well over ten years, they still have a weak greenish
tinge and definately aren't grey.

I believe it does weather to grey by UV action. Do your gates get
any sun?

Good point! B-) Not full sun at midday but they do catch the sun
but possibly too early or late in the day for really high levels of
UV.

--
Cheers
Dave.