Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I'm looking for a workbench

Hi All,

I'm a stringed musical instrument maker & I'm moving into a studio @ Deptford Cockpit Arts.
I'm looking for a solid, sturdy woodworking/joinery workbench. If anyone knows of anyone getting rid of one please let me know!
I have a van and could collect from anywhere in or around London.

Thanks
Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2019 20:05, newshound wrote:
On 06/03/2019 16:51, Bill Wright wrote:

snip
When it's in position fix it to the floor.

AGREED

I suggest only after asking the landlord. The OP is moving into
accommodation where his presence may no longer be welcome if he screws
up the floor.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2019 09:45, wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a stringed musical instrument maker & I'm moving into a studio @
Deptford Cockpit Arts.
I'm looking for a solid, sturdy woodworking/joinery workbench. If
anyone knows of anyone getting rid of one please let me know!
I have a van and could collect from anywhere in or around London.

Thanks
Jonathan

It's easy to make a bench. Get some cheap rough sawn timber from a
woodyard (salvage etc). Then you can make it exactly how you want it.
Construction technique is basic; no clever joints, just big screws.

Coach bolts are even better. Then you can adjust or move it if required.
Make sure you have some diagonal braces to keep it stiff in shear in the
two vertical planes (or you can screw sheet material, even hardboard,
between the legs).

I wouldn't use sawn timber for the top; either planed, or one or two
thicknesses of 18 mm ply. Shuttering ply for cheapness if you are doing
rougher work. Some people use MDF but I wouldn't.

Make it real heavy and solid.
Legs 3 x 3
cross members 4 x 1
boards 1½" x 8 or 10.
When it's in position fix it to the floor.

AGREED

Bill

I made one from a pallet. The slatted top turned out to have a bunch of advantages. Pick a heavy pallet & add a vice.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 20:05:12 +0000, newshound
wrote:

I wouldn't use sawn timber for the top; either planed, or one or two
thicknesses of 18 mm ply. Shuttering ply for cheapness if you are doing
rougher work. Some people use MDF but I wouldn't.

.... and depending on what you plan to do, a (thin) sacrificial top, or possibly
several. One for paint, one for oil, etc.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2019 07:33, Thomas Prufer wrote:

... and depending on what you plan to do, a (thin) sacrificial top, or possibly
several. One for paint, one for oil, etc.

Yes. I've made three and I now use rough timber for everything but have
sheets of scrap ply, hardboard, etc, to make removable work surfaces.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Yes. I've made three and I now use rough timber for everything but have
sheets of scrap ply, hardboard, etc, to make removable work surfaces.

When I made mine, which is now at least 45 years old, my initial
problem was that of having nothing to work on whilst making it.
Back then I didn't even have a Workmate.

The solution was to keep it simple but robust, with coach bolted
joints. On performance so far, it will certainly see me out.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

Yes. I've made three and I now use rough timber for everything but have
sheets of scrap ply, hardboard, etc, to make removable work surfaces.

When I made mine, which is now at least 45 years old, my initial
problem was that of having nothing to work on whilst making it.
Back then I didn't even have a Workmate.

The solution was to keep it simple but robust, with coach bolted
joints. On performance so far, it will certainly see me out.

I did mine with 25mm square steel tube welded into a rectangular
frame. Its got wheels at one end and another half length frame
which slots into the full frame, above the top. That means it can
be used when working on the ceiling inside the house and when
doing the outside of the house, the gutters and barge boards etc.
With a couple of drop in wooden tops that you can stand on when
working on the high stuff. And its got another arm that turns a
normal circular saw into a drop saw.

I built the whole house with that and made it when the house
was just a concrete slab and walls, before the roof was made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 04:24:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I did mine with 25mm s

Darn, and you HAD to **** also in this thread, you 85-year-old incontinent
senile pest! tsk