Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default I'm looking for a workbench

On 06/03/2019 16:51, Bill Wright wrote:
On 06/03/2019 09:45, wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a stringed musical instrument maker & I'm moving into a studio @
Deptford Cockpit Arts.
I'm looking for a solid, sturdy woodworking/joinery workbench. If
anyone knows of anyone getting rid of one please let me know!
I have a van and could collect from anywhere in or around London.

Thanks
Jonathan

It's easy to make a bench. Get some cheap rough sawn timber from a
woodyard (salvage etc). Then you can make it exactly how you want it.
Construction technique is basic; no clever joints, just big screws.

Coach bolts are even better. Then you can adjust or move it if required.
Make sure you have some diagonal braces to keep it stiff in shear in the
two vertical planes (or you can screw sheet material, even hardboard,
between the legs).

I wouldn't use sawn timber for the top; either planed, or one or two
thicknesses of 18 mm ply. Shuttering ply for cheapness if you are doing
rougher work. Some people use MDF but I wouldn't.

Make it real heavy and solid.
Legs 3 x 3
cross members 4 x 1
boards 1½" x 8 or 10.
When it's in position fix it to the floor.

AGREED

Bill