Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for Plywood Workbench plans

I remember seeing plans for the base of a Workbench made from Plywood
and it was a very solid one. In one of the magazines or collections of
plans. Does anyone remember seeing one & where it was?

Help apreciated

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

To be honest, just do a Google search on it (http://www.google.co.uk/
search?hl=en&q=plywood%2C+workbench%2C+free+plans% 2C
+woodworking&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) and you'll get loads of ideas.

Barry
www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

A quick Google search returned 106,000 hits. You might find something in there. You could also hit
the archives for "magazine index" and look up the article there. I posted the URL last week, so it
may still be on your server.

Regards,
Roy

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:57:17 +0900, (Jerome Meekings) wrote:

I remember seeing plans for the base of a Workbench made from Plywood
and it was a very solid one. In one of the magazines or collections of
plans. Does anyone remember seeing one & where it was?

Help apreciated

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerome Meekings wrote:
I remember seeing plans for the base of a Workbench made from Plywood
and it was a very solid one. In one of the magazines or collections of
plans. Does anyone remember seeing one & where it was?

Help apreciated

check out this plan that was featured in Fine Woodworking #181 "Tools &
Shops Annual Issue"

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...ges/011208.asp

Bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob C wrote:

check out this plan that was featured in Fine Woodworking #181 "Tools &
Shops Annual Issue"

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...ges/011208.asp

Bob

Thanks very much Bob that was the one I saw and was trying to find. Much
appreciated

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy wrote:

A quick Google search returned 106,000 hits. You might find something in
there. You could also hit the archives for "magazine index" and look up
the article there. I posted the URL last week, so it may still be on your
server.

Regards, Roy

Thanks Roy,

I tryed that one first but didn't have much luck

Bob has found it.
--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

To be honest, just do a Google search on it (
http://www.google.co.uk/
search?hl=en&q=plywood%2C+workbench%2C+free+plans% 2C
+woodworking&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) and you'll get loads of ideas.

Barry
www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Thanks barry

Been there, done that, got swamped.

BTW Like your site

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerome Meekings wrote:
I remember seeing plans for the base of a Workbench made from Plywood
and it was a very solid one. In one of the magazines or collections of
plans. Does anyone remember seeing one & where it was?

Help apreciated

Jerome,

I see you found what you are looking for, but I made a mostly plywood
based workbench from plans from American WW mag. I am extremely happy
with it. I posted pics on abpw. If you are interested I could dig up
the issue.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Bridgeman wrote:

Jerome Meekings wrote:
I remember seeing plans for the base of a Workbench made from Plywood
and it was a very solid one. In one of the magazines or collections of
plans. Does anyone remember seeing one & where it was?

Help apreciated

Jerome,

I see you found what you are looking for, but I made a mostly plywood
based workbench from plans from American WW mag. I am extremely happy
with it. I posted pics on abpw. If you are interested I could dig up
the issue.

Dave

That would be very kind. A few scans or photos would put the icing on
the cake.

I do read abpw but only for the last 6 months to year.

I plan on making a torsion box top with bench stop holes (needed for the
new toy "a domino") with a plywwod laminated base frame.

This should do for the next 3~5 years until I build my final, only,
purpose built 15M x 8M workshop

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

This should do for the next 3~5 years until I build my final, only,
purpose built 15M x 8M workshop

Dang! A workshop that is 15 miles by 8 miles?? :-)

Wayne

Sorry. Couldn't stop myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

NoOne N Particular wrote:

Dang! A workshop that is 15 miles by 8 miles?? :-)

Wayne

Sorry. Couldn't stop myself.

You would have plenty of room to stop though ;-)

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

NoOne N Particular wrote in news:2Ybgi.15971
:

This should do for the next 3~5 years until I build my final, only,
purpose built 15M x 8M workshop

Dang! A workshop that is 15 miles by 8 miles?? :-)

Wayne

Sorry. Couldn't stop myself.

That sure gives new meaning to the phrase, "Ah darn, it's on the other
side of the shop."

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
DLB DLB is offline

On Jun 26, 5:56 am, David Bridgeman
wrote:
Jerome Meekings wrote:
I remember seeing plans for the base of a Workbench made from Plywood
and it was a very solid one. In one of the magazines or collections of
plans. Does anyone remember seeing one & where it was?

Help apreciated

Jerome,

I see you found what you are looking for, but I made a mostly plywood
based workbench from plans from American WW mag. I am extremely happy
with it. I posted pics on abpw. If you are interested I could dig up
the issue.

Dave

The issue was American Woodworker Dec/Jan 2006.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 26, 6:43 pm, Puckdropper wrote:
NoOne N Particular wrote in news:2Ybgi.15971
:

This should do for the next 3~5 years until I build my final, only,
purpose built 15M x 8M workshop

Dang! A workshop that is 15 miles by 8 miles?? :-)

Wayne

Sorry. Couldn't stop myself.

That sure gives new meaning to the phrase, "Ah darn, it's on the other
side of the shop."

Puckdropper

Wow, I feel dumb, I thought he was talking about 15 and 8 REAL nice
feeet, like mmmmm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for Plywood Workbench plans, Laminated plywood workbench base

Jerome Meekings wrote:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...ges/011208.asp

Bob

Thanks very much Bob that was the one I saw and was trying to find. Much
appreciated

Laminated plywood workbench base

with influence from Fine Woodworking #181, Bob C and others.

Small medium and full size Pictures http://preview.tinyurl.com/ynrxl6

One of the aims of this bench is to be massive when assembled but able
to be knocked down and moved by one person. This is looking good at this
point, the heaviest pieces are the ends at 12.5 kg and at this point it
is about 50 kg (US 110 lbs) when I get a permanent top for it and
cupboards under loaded with tools, I expect it will reach 150 kg

With too few clamps an average temp of 29C and humidity about 80% plus
and having to squat on the floor to use a circular saw to rip the ply.
The bench base took about 9 days to make.

I looked at various ways to make the mortices for the tenons and found
that cling-film made the perfect covering for the spacer blocks

Studding (US all-thread?) is unobtainable without a lot of effort (and a
120 km drive), so I made do with 200 mm carriage bolts (10 Baht each).
As the bolt heads would have too small a bearing surface in wood and
would just pull through when tightened. I got some 38 mm wide steel
strip, drilled a hole a little oversize for the shank, then used a big
hammer to partly seat the square under the head to prevent the bolt
spinning when tightened.

This meant that the bolts had to be captive. So as the horizontals were
laminated from 5 strips of 20 mm ply I could cut into two of them to
shape the hole. this was left open at one side to allow the bolt to be
pushed home. The cutouts were designed to be slightly oversized to avoid
binding, this has also meant that the workbench horizontals can float a
little so the location of the bolt holes in the end pieces is not
critical. I am thinking of using unglued dominos as locating pins to
make assembly easier

The end pieces have 8 mm screwed inserts to allow feet to adjust for
uneven floors

the bottom horizontals have a slimmer 5th section (size governed by the
spare cutoff I had) this for the moment is used for a shelf but will be
used to locate and locked-in lockable cupboards, they will be removable
if the ends are unbolted but not just lift out. I am not sure yet if
they will be full hight, a reason to make them a little under full hight
would be for wood dust removal.

Future work
Dominos to locate the horizontals
Foot pads to go under the metal leveling screw feet
Locked-in locking cupboards at least 2, this will make them about 60 cm
wide
Bench top. I have the ply and MDF cut to a rough size for one but am
also thinking of making a second torsion box one.

Costs so far
20 mm ply sheets 2 @ 730 Baht
200 mm carriage bolts 8 @10 Baht
steel strips 8 @ 5 Baht