Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for Workbench Help

I have been searching the web for a set of steel legs to build a mobile
workbench with little to no success. I am turning to the collective
knowledge of this group assuming that someone else on the planet has had the
need for a mobile workbench.

While my immediate uses will be a sanding and finishing area, I can see it
also being used with my benchtop planer and or another type of stationary
tool in the future.

I would prefer just the frame, legs that can accept casters, and possibly
either angles for lower shelf or just steel stringers to keep it ridgid and
steel frame for top support, basically the bench minus the working and shelf
surfaces.

Has anyone else tried looking for something like this??

While I want it to be somewhere in the meduim to heavy duty range keeping
away from the flex steel frames that are coming out of China.

Mobility is absolute, as I have all of my equipment in an open shop area at
work and although it has not happened, yet, I may have to move it out of the
way at some point. All my stationary equipment are on mobile stands for this
purpose, and currently my boss has no problem with me taking over this area
as long as it remains mobile.

HELP

SteveA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 8:14*pm, "SteveA" wrote:
I have been searching the web for a set of steel legs to build a mobile
workbench with little to no success. I am turning to the collective
knowledge of this group assuming that someone else on the planet has had the
need for a mobile workbench.

Lee Valley has cast iron legs and the hardware to make them into a
sturdy tressle. But they aren't exactly cheap.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...75&cat=1,41637

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 8:25*pm, DonkeyHody wrote:
I think I've seen some legs like that at Home Depot. Not sure of
sturdiness or cost.

Old Guy

On Mar 4, 8:14*pm, "SteveA" wrote:

I have been searching the web for a set of steel legs to build a mobile
workbench with little to no success. I am turning to the collective
knowledge of this group assuming that someone else on the planet has had the
need for a mobile workbench.

Lee Valley has cast iron legs and the hardware to make them into a
sturdy tressle. *But they aren't exactly cheap.http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...75&cat=1,41637

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 21:14:11 -0500, "SteveA" wrote:

I have been searching the web for a set of steel legs to build a mobile
workbench with little to no success. I am turning to the collective
knowledge of this group assuming that someone else on the planet has had the
need for a mobile workbench.

Have you looked at the adjustable shop stand from Rockler?

Personally I would just build it out of 2x4s. Two 2x4s glued together
make an excellent leg, and if you make some cuts on one you get easy
half lap joints for your side frames. If you really wanted to put it
together fast you could connect your stretchers with pocket screws.
I'll bet you could build the whole thing faster than you could put in
all the damn bolts on those metal stands if you put your mind to it.
And you could buy the pocket hole jig if you didn't have one already
and still come out ahead cost wise.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
JDH JDH is offline

[...]

Check with Grainger or a similar industrial supply outfit that deals
with materials handling equipment. Might take a while to wade through
all the options they present but well worth the look. Grainger I know
has many leg sets, and the tops to go with them.

JDH

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Abrams (sp?) (New Yankee Workshop) did a show on this issue a while
back. He found a shop with flip down caster benches and built one that
way in that show. I tried to look at the links another poster gave for
flip down casters, but it didn't work.

Here's the link you need to Norm's mobile bench:

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0207

Pete Stanaitis

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 9:14 pm, "SteveA" wrote:
I have been searching the web for a set of steel legs to build a mobile
workbench with little to no success. I am turning to the collective
knowledge of this group assuming that someone else on the planet has had the
need for a mobile workbench.

Go to the McMaster-Carr web site www.mcmaster.com and look at

Workbench Tops & Legs Page 1623
Workbench & Table Legs Page 1624
Table Legs & Workbench Bases Page 1625
Workbench Bases & Drawers Page 1626
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:25:58 -0800, DonkeyHody wrote:

On Mar 4, 8:14Â*pm, "SteveA" wrote:
I have been searching the web for a set of steel legs to build a mobile
workbench with little to no success. I am turning to the collective
knowledge of this group assuming that someone else on the planet has had the
need for a mobile workbench.

Lee Valley has cast iron legs and the hardware to make them into a
sturdy tressle. But they aren't exactly cheap.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...75&cat=1,41637

Woodcraft has something similar:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20346

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 9:14 pm, "SteveA" wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure both Grizzly (grizzly.com) and Woodworker's Supply
(woodworker.com) carry steel legs. Adapting wheels shouldn't be
difficult. Lee Valley has some great cast iron legs, but they are
expensive.

Workbench Bob C Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 June 29th 07 02:43 PM
Workbench Baz UK diy 0 March 9th 06 03:34 PM
Workbench top Odinn Woodworking 0 July 17th 05 03:28 AM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 06:13 AM