Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Workbench

Hi guys. Newbie with first post. Hope this gives someone ideas.

Rockler had a sale a while back on 24x84x1/34 laminated Birch top and a
nice quick release vise for zip. Couldn't pass it up. Started making
list of material for legs and then realized I had no more money. Looking
around the shop I found some 3/4" Maple shelves, 24" x 48", laminated,
and lacquered. Former store display shelves.

Had just enough to complete the trestle. Ripped the shelves to 3-1/2"
width, ran these through the planer to remove finish and laminated
these, 5 layers, leaving voids for mortises in the top and bottom
pieces. On the legs I left two layers long for tenons.

Saw an article somewhere that suggested using dowels to prevent slippage
and found that it made assembly so much easier. The entire trestle is
assembled with only dowels and glue.

Bottom shelf is Oak scraps set between stretchers. Apron is 5/4 Maple
front and back. Ends are 5/4 Mahogany decking dovetailed at front and
allowed to float for seasonal change in top.

Front vise pad is Mahogany decking, end vise is Ipe'. Dog holes were
added later.

After seeing Dave's bench I'm thinking about adding drawers.

Been using it for about two months now and don't know why I didn't build
this before. Total cost was $250 for the top and front vise, and $75 for
end vise.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Workbench-workbench009-jpg  Workbench-p1010041-jpg  Workbench-p1010042-jpg  Workbench-p1010043-jpg  Workbench-workbench006-jpg

Workbench-workbench007-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bob C wrote:
[...]

Thank you,

Actually I was kind of winging it and only had very rough sketch. I'll
try to refine it for you.

Bob
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

If that is what you can do winging it, I'd love to see what happened if you
planned it all out lol.

--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
"Bob C" wrote in message
. ..

New workbench Martin Carroll UK diy 6 July 10th 07 07:21 PM
New workbench David Bridgeman Woodworking Plans and Photos 19 June 29th 07 02:28 PM
Workbench top?? Brian In Hampton Woodworking 14 April 15th 05 10:01 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 06:13 AM